Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Problems connecting to Wireless Network

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2008, 08:17 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problems connecting to Wireless Network

Evening Guys and Gals.

Hope someone can help me out with this one.

Have a Laptop and Desktop usually used wireless within the house. I have lost the wireless connection to the desktop and cannot re-connect.

I have broadband via NTL set top to wireless router, then to Belkin USB adaptor on the Desktop.

There is a wirless signal to the router, but on tying to connect, I get an error that there is a problem acquiring an IP address.
I've gone through the process of creating a new Network and hoped that starting from scratch might help.but no!
I have a network key from when I first set the system up (had a problem then too and Belkin gave me a network key), and am trying to use that but it's still not working. setting up as Shared Key / 64 Bit encryption
The Lappy lost it's connection too afterwards but I managed to get that going again by creating a new Network. (inbuilt wireless card on that) It fired up no problem.
Could it be the Belkin that's causing the problem?(router is Belkin too but Lappy connected OK, so can't see that it's the router)
Any assistance most welcome cos it's driving me nuts!Have wasted 3 hours already today.

Cheers
Steve
Old 22 February 2008, 09:23 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Have you tried disabling the encryption on the router? And working your way through to the problem?

Do you use DHCP? Or static IP entries?

If DHCP then try setting up some Static IP entires I.e 192.168.0.2 for first computer 192.168.0.3 for second etc.. That's if your router has the 192.168.0.1 IP address.
Old 22 February 2008, 10:28 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Delete the profile and connection from your PC. reboot pc and start again.
Old 24 February 2008, 03:11 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for your help guys.

I've no idea on this DHCP stuff, etc but I've managed to sort it out.

I tried setting up a new wireless network from scratch. Unfortunately my desktop was still not playing ball, so I got on the Belkin site via my laptop which seemed to work OK. I got the network key off the site, entered the code by trying to connect the desktop to the network manually via the Belkin Network adaptor program and hey presto.

Not sure why the desktop didn't register the network key automatically, but it works now so I'm chuffed.

Thanks anyway.
Steve