Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband speed slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2008, 11:00 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broadband speed slowing down

On BT total broadband (with home hub) for a year or two now.

Used to average (when I checked it) somewhere between 3-6mb but normally around 4.5 which was fine.

This year it struggles to get above 3mb (often 1 to 2mb). BT have checked line and exchange and things "should" be ok but set at 3mb. What I don't understand is how it used to be faster but not anymore..

Anything I can check on my PCs? I have 2 laptops and a PC and speed tests don't really vary between them.

If the exchange is limited to 3mb, even changing providers won't make a difference?...
Exchange is Purley, Surrey and I'm 1.1k from exchange as crow flies, 1.9 by road.
Old 15 February 2008, 01:19 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
On BT total broadband (with home hub) for a year or two now.

Used to average (when I checked it) somewhere between 3-6mb but normally around 4.5 which was fine.

This year it struggles to get above 3mb (often 1 to 2mb). BT have checked line and exchange and things "should" be ok but set at 3mb. What I don't understand is how it used to be faster but not anymore..

Anything I can check on my PCs? I have 2 laptops and a PC and speed tests don't really vary between them.

If the exchange is limited to 3mb, even changing providers won't make a difference?...
Exchange is Purley, Surrey and I'm 1.1k from exchange as crow flies, 1.9 by road.
I've noticed the same. I think it's down to more people taking up braodband so your sharing more bandwith the rest of them at the exchange. Either that or the copper wire in your area is degrading more and more.
Old 15 February 2008, 01:42 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Higher contention ratio "could" affect things. However, I work from home a lot when contention is low. One notices a slow down on a friday afternoon and weekday evenings.

Would moving (providers) make any difference? I assume they'll use the same wires and same exchange anyway.... I have BT vision as well so would lose use of this if I moved so would, in all likelyness, move to Sky or Virgin, failing that I'd have to buy a new freeview recorder.

My overall preference is to stay with BT (I get extended workforce discount ) and current set-up, just want it faster.