Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dumb Xbox user question

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2008, 07:10 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Xbox user question

How the hell do you use the controller as a qwerty keyboard??

I've worked out the direction control, but what the hell is used to select a letter and whats enter??
Old 14 February 2008, 09:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Edited after reading the question again.

Have a look at this for general usage in XMBC.

Last edited by Markus; 14 February 2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 14 February 2008, 10:10 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Probably directional pad to move around, and "A" to select a letter...
Old 14 February 2008, 10:25 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

All fixed

Cheers guys.

Just need the flat at the end of the month and its job done.
Old 16 February 2008, 11:51 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

So - How are you getting on with it????

Have you got an HD (component) cable with it, as in order to get it to chuck out a decent 720p image you'll need to switch it into NTSC mode (there's a disk or app somewhere that you can download that'll do this) and then use the HD cable. Without doing both you won't get 720p...

Whilst my XBMC in my home cinema, on an HD projector, runs at 720p - I don't bother for my lounge one, that uses a standard SCART cable and runs to a 36" Panasonic CRT at 'normal' 576i (IIRC, can't remember) resolution.

If you've not got the latest build of XBMC on there, then I'd recommend upgrading. It's not difficult...

...and Joox is fantastic!

DN
Old 16 February 2008, 10:18 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Ok after alot of help from Markus

I have a AV lead (svid, and l + r audio)

Wanna explain more about updating XBMC.

Dunno what build mine is, and won't be booting it up untill I'm in the new place and settled.
Old 17 February 2008, 12:50 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

No problem helping you out

As for updating XMBC, It's essentially a case of finding out where the current version is installed (mine is a folder called XMBC in E:\Apps\) getting a new build (I'd grab one from (here, I'm on rev10675), taking a copy of the UserData folder from within the XMBC folder, then getting the new version onto the machine, which is where it could get tricky.

Basically what I do is expand the downloaded build of XMBC and rename the XMBC folder to XMBC_new. I then upload this to the xbox, and then copy my UserData folder from my existing setup into the new one, replacing the one that was there. You could simply try an FTP overwrite of the files from the new XMBC folder over the old one, but I've had problems with that in the past which is why I use the aforementioned method.

Now for the possibly tricky part. You need to change the existing install from XMBC to something else, for example, XMBC_old, and then rename the XMBC_new folder to XMBC. The problem is that it might not let you do this, as the folder and files inside are in use. What I do is to boot my machine up into the modchip's OS (I hold down the white button on the controller) and this has a built in FTP server, so I connect to it and change the folder names around, then reboot and it'll boot up the new version of XMBC. Now, you might not be able to do that as you're soft modded, but give the folder rename thing a try.
If it doesn't work then there is another trick we could try. Have a look at the C drive, and you should see a file called XBMC.cfg, copy this to your computer and edit it in a text editor, you'll see the path to xbe file in the XMBC folder. What you can do is to change the path from, for example, E:\Apps\XMBC\default.xbe to E:\Apps\XMBC_New\default.xbe
Thus we're pointing it at the new location. You then reboot, and it should launch the new XMBC. At which point you can go into the file manager and delete the old setup if you want to free up space.
Old 17 February 2008, 06:28 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Ok after alot of help from Markus

I have a AV lead (svid, and l + r audio)

Wanna explain more about updating XBMC.

Dunno what build mine is, and won't be booting it up untill I'm in the new place and settled.
An S-Video lead will only support 480i/576i (NTSC/PAL)... ideally, if you're using an HDTV and want to run 720p you'll need a component cable (5 x RCA plugs - Red video,Green video,Blue video,Left audio, Right audio). As the Xbox knows what lead is connected you simply cannot output 720p without soft-switching the XBox to NTSC mode and using the component cable... AFAIK.

This sort of thing Original Xbox One Component Cable - £7.49 : thegametrain.com
Old 17 February 2008, 07:41 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I'll have to get 1 soonish. All available cash now is going to the move.