Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which Chip for PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2002, 10:44 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

All,

Been offered a Neo4 for £40 and a Messiah for £60. IS this a good price ? I don't use the PS2 for DVDS, so which one should I choose ?

I would like to use my PS1 backup copies

Cheers Phill
Old 21 January 2002, 03:15 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Babber,
Both chips are very good,both chips will allow psx backup playback on ps2.The Neo4 has a black bar across the bottom for psx imports.Nick should know if messiah has this problem as he has had one fitted last week.

The neo4 also allows multiregion dvd playback and allows you to copy dvd onto vcr(macrovision removal).

have a look back a few pages for my post on "No more Neo4's for PS2." there is more info on the pros and cons of both.

Duncan
Old 21 January 2002, 04:07 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nick who ?

Cheers Phill C
Old 21 January 2002, 06:57 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Babber
Nick Adams,his topic is on here somewhere...have a look for "wahey got my Messiah this morning" some info about the M chip on there.He seems very happy with it
Old 21 January 2002, 07:13 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry mate, I realised after. Blond day!!

I thought well how does he know my mate Nick, LOL. The chap that can get the chips!!!

Cheers Phill C
Old 21 January 2002, 07:27 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 22 January 2002, 09:29 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Phill,
Messiah IS the way to go on the PS2 chipping scene.I have it in mine and it direct boots everything without a single swap.With Neo4 you have to do a swap trick when loading DVD-R's and since most games are moving towards the DVD media this will become a headache in future months/years!!!! Also,when loading DVD-R's you need to have an original DVD that has a BIGGER toc (Table of contents) than the backup DVD-R that you are trying to load. Devil May Cry is a prime example since it's one of the biggest games out for the PS2 (I think it heads for the 4.37GB mark or thereabouts - Perhaps Scoobynutter or DazV can confirm this?)
My advice is if you can live without with the DVD multi region hack then go for the Messiah (You can still do a multi region hack using a second chip inside the PS2 sitting alongside the Messiah.I have the hex to do this at home.It simply installs onto a PIC chip)

Feel free to ask any more questions?

Cheers,

Nick..
Old 22 January 2002, 11:54 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Nick,

So if I get the messiah chip, can I buy the code from you for Multi region DVDs, and will blow onto the pic and fit at the same time!!!

Cheers Phill C
Old 22 January 2002, 12:46 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Buy the code Phill???? Wash your mouth out boy!!!!
I'll email it to you from home!
To be honest,I would install the Messiah chip FIRST,make sure it's working for a week or so and THEN install the other chip.Have a look on some of the PS2 forums and see what's being said on there. I read that someone has installed the Messiah and added the multi region hack as well.Even safer,could be to buy the region X gadget at £20 cos at least it doesn't interfer with the internals!

Cheers,

Nick..
Old 22 January 2002, 01:18 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

So is £60 a good price?? Although I can't seem to find anyone in the Bristol area to do it. No drama one of my mates does the best highly accurate soldering I every seen. Much better than my pigeon **** efforts, lol

Has anyone got pictures showing the connections ?

What pic is needed for region free? I'd rather fit it all inside than mess around with bootdisks, etc.

Cheers Phill C

PS Email in profile is best
Old 22 January 2002, 02:02 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Phill,
£60 is a good price for the chip alone (I paid something like £65 from Channel Tech for mine!)
As to the soldering skills involved - You REALLY do have to be an A1 solderer in order to complete the installation.
What you need to do is find out what version of mainboard your PS2 has.To do this,I've copied and pasted something that I found on the web a while ago -

What version is my PS2?
IDENTIFY YOUR BOARD VERSION:
USA Consoles:

30001 v1 = Serial number begins with u1
30001 v2 = Serial number begins with u0
30001 v3 = Serial number begins with u2
30001 v4 = 8 Screws on base of the PS2 + Electrical Hazard Warning (also serial begins with u3 / u4 / u5 / u6)

Note: some new models also start with u0 - however its easy anyway because v2 has 10 screws and the new
model has 8 screws.

================================
XanTium's PAL version Dectection :

First you have to find out how many screws you have at the bottom of your ps2.
-10 screws like on this picture : http://www.consolechips.com/v1-v3console.jpg (See v1-v3console.jpg)
the u have a v3
-8screws like on this picture :
http://www.consolechips.com/v4console.jpg (See v4console.jpg)
the u have a v4 or v5

If you have 8screws:
-open the expansion bay at the back of your ps2 and put your ps2 upsidedown.
Check this picture : http://www.psxservices.co.uk/images/v5screw.jpg (see v5screw.jpg)

Once you establish the version number then you can download the installation diagrams from http://bootmaster.nexenservices.com/dwnload.htm selecting the relevent version from the list!

I'm not sure what pic chip the hex goes onto but can make enquiries?

Lemme know if you need more help?

Nick..
Old 22 January 2002, 02:23 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nick,

WOW, that's so much useful information, and christ the soldering does look tricky!!

My mate will be fine with it though, but make sure he doesn't drink the night before

Cheers Phill C
Old 22 January 2002, 02:52 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Had a look at the site and am even more confused. I have eight screws, model number is SCPH-35003.

SN Is B1715xxx, looked inside the expansion bay and mine doesn't look like that.

Night mare. Cheers Phill C
Old 22 January 2002, 03:26 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Phill,
You think the soldering looks tricky on the diagrams????
Wait until you open the damn thing up.Then you'll realise just how much the drawings have been magnified.One of the connections is to a chip on the board and you have to solder eight wires to it - The best part is,the legs of the chip are 1mm wide and there's 1mm gap between each leg!!!!
As to your version,from what you describe I'd say it was a version 4 board (My mate who's doing a version 4 at the moment says they are easier to do than the version 3's!)
You know where I am if you need anything else?

Nick..

P.S: Sent you a mail!

Old 22 January 2002, 06:30 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Nick is right,my neo4 does require a simple swap using gta3/or something with a large toc www.playstationmods.co.za/toc/ has a list of toc's.

Both chips are works of art,not until you see your ps2 opend up do you realise how precise the soldering has to be.even more so with the messiah.

I think in 6 months time there will be a few more new modchips with less wires,but i couldnt wait even for Messiah so thats why i got Neo4.