Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Does this look a reasonable IDE/SATA to USB adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2008, 08:58 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this look a reasonable IDE/SATA to USB adapter?

I need to get my hands on something that can transfer data from 3.5 IDE, 2.5 IDE and SATA via a USB port. I've been having a look at a few things on offer, and wondered what the SN techs thought of this piece of kit?

IDE SATA TO USB2.0 CABLE WITH POWER ADAPTER 2.5 3.5 UK on eBay, also, Serial ATA SATA, Cables Connectors, Computing (end time 31-Jan-08 23:30:00 GMT)

It looks like it comes with all the necessary cables, and also looks like it may last more than 10 mins. I need it to be sturdy as it will see a reasonable amount of use. Is this good enough, or do you know of a better option?

EDIT: actually I don't see how it powers laptop drives....
Old 31 January 2008, 11:20 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

What about this ?
Maplin > IDE / SATA to USB 2.0
Old 31 January 2008, 11:49 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Looks good. I'm not sure if it just looks tidier due to some of the cables it needs not being shown. I do need a trip to Maplin anyway, so there will be no harm in having a look. It is pricey though £40 standard price, no wonder they have £15 off.

EDIT: Just spotted a flaw. The Maplin unit does not come with a power supply. So if you come across a 3.5" drive and want to connect it to a laptop then your going to be without any power

Last edited by Luminous; 31 January 2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01 February 2008, 07:00 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I have one and use it regularly, probably the same as the one you've linked to.

Amazon.co.uk: SATA 3.5" 2.5" IDE 3 IN 1 TO USB 2.0 CABLE ADAPTOR: Electronics & Photo

I'd be reporting that one to ebay for fee avoidance tho, 6.99 for a jiffy bag and 1.20 odd of postage...???

(Laptop drives are powered by usb through the pins.)

Last edited by HankScorpio; 01 February 2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01 February 2008, 10:28 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Super, thanks for the input

All the eBay stuff I have been looking at are doing the fee avoidance thing. Its incredibly blatant, but eBay do not seem to be doing anything about it. One chap wanted £50 + £25 shipping for a second hand graphics card...the cost of postage was to him less than 50p. Others are clearly stating no postage discounts for multiple items etc etc
Old 01 February 2008, 10:34 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Looks good. I'm not sure if it just looks tidier due to some of the cables it needs not being shown. I do need a trip to Maplin anyway, so there will be no harm in having a look. It is pricey though £40 standard price, no wonder they have £15 off.

EDIT: Just spotted a flaw. The Maplin unit does not come with a power supply. So if you come across a 3.5" drive and want to connect it to a laptop then your going to be without any power
Hello

I have one of those and it does have a power supply (says it in the description as well).

It works very well.

Steve
Old 01 February 2008, 10:38 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Hello

I have one of those and it does have a power supply (says it in the description as well).

It works very well.

Steve
Your right, it does say so in the description...I got confused with this response in the FAQ:

Q) Can it run on 3.5 HDD without the std PC power supply? - rommel
A) No sorry this product does not support that.
That response seemed to indicate it did not have one...oh well. Just too late as I got the one from eBay about 30 secs before your post Let's hope it works
Old 01 February 2008, 02:26 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous

says umderneath "complete with PSU" ?

oops - just noticed you've realised

I'll get me coat
Old 01 February 2008, 02:28 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Actually, I think I'll buy one too - I'm always needing something like this when I'm taking out hard drives for one reason or another.
Old 01 February 2008, 02:33 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've got one that does ide and sata (not sure of the make offhand but I can check later), and it it's saved my bacon a few times. Especially good when you want to pull stuff off a drive without booting the OS on it.