Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sony PSP fault

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2008, 04:43 PM
trev260764
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sony PSP fault

Hi. My 12 year-old son's PSP has developed a fault whereby when turning it on only the green power light comes on - and nothing else. The battery is fully charged and same issue is apparent when plugged into the mains via the power supply. I have very little idea when it comes to gaming which is why I am here!

Looked on Google and it seems that this is a common fault when upgrading firmware, and power is lost during the procedure [battery dying], but my son has not upgraded the firmware (and wouldn't know how to!).

I have spoken to Sony and they can replace it for a used one for £65, and they told me that is likely to be corrupt because of as-above. It would have been replaced FOC if it was within warranty.

I noticed that a bloke sold his bare unit (no battery etc) on eBay for £46 + £9.00 postage with exactly the same fault - so guess they can be fixed...

Anyone know if there is any user fix for this or any experience of this fault? Cheers!!
Old 21 January 2008, 06:27 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Yeah defo sounds like its bricked but these can be reversed see here

[Guide] Unbrick or Downgrade any PSP using the Pandora Battery - QJ.NET Forums
Old 21 January 2008, 08:20 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

could be the screen or the backlight (35 quid, 10 quid) so you really need to find out if an upgrade has been attempted.

I've used these people for spares and they were pretty good, they have a repair service too.
Undercutter

If it is bricked, cover the postage and I'll have a go at unbricking it for you.
Old 21 January 2008, 08:28 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trev260764
Looked on Google and it seems that this is a common fault when upgrading firmware, and power is lost during the procedure [battery dying], but my son has not upgraded the firmware (and wouldn't know how to!).
Had any new games recently? Some games insist that you upgrade before you play. Had this a while back with Outrun2006. Needed to upgrade to version 2.7 at the time from 2.5. The actual upgrade was on the game disk.
Old 21 January 2008, 08:59 PM
trev260764
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure that it's not the backlight cos the unit is totally dead apart from the green power light. No sound and no motor drive when inserting UMD.

Looked at the Pandoras Battery option as mentioned, but as far as I can see you need an operational PSP to 'make' the kit. My son can't get any of his friends to loan theirs for this 'risky' business....

Thanks for the kind offer of repair - will probably be in touch!

The unit went funny whilst playing Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories - and then went dead. Apparently it didn't prompt to upgrade.

As I say, I am not a gamer so don't realy understand this piece of kit -so your help is appreciated!
Old 21 January 2008, 11:27 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Not the same issue at all, but my PS3 was blank/dead except for the power l.e.d a few days ago, a google revealed that if you press the power switch, release and then quickly press and hold for 5 seconds it will reset the machine.

A quick google reveals -

The easiest way to reset the PSP is to do a hard-reset. This means holding the power switch in the up position for around ten seconds. This will then shut off the PSP. You may then need to flick the power button either once or twice for the device to come back on. It may be my PSP thats a little strange here, but after a hard-reset, I always have to press the power on button twice to get the PSP to fire up.

The hard reset method is normally sufficient to bring the PSP back to life and resume use, although it may mean you lose your place in the game you were playing.

The alternative to the hard reset is to drop the battery out of the PSP. While I don’t really recommend this, sometimes a hard-reset will fail and this is your only option. To do this, simply drop the battery out of the PSP by sliding the cover open, and then wait for a few seconds. Pop the battery back in and fire up the PSP. Hopefully all will be well.

Good luck.
Old 22 January 2008, 05:41 PM
trev260764
Scooby Regular

Ta! I have tried all this though - nowt happens to bring it back to life!!
Old 22 January 2008, 08:17 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
Not the same issue at all, but my PS3 was blank/dead except for the power l.e.d a few days ago, a google revealed that if you press the power switch, release and then quickly press and hold for 5 seconds it will reset the machine.

A quick google reveals -

The easiest way to reset the PSP is to do a hard-reset. This means holding the power switch in the up position for around ten seconds. This will then shut off the PSP. You may then need to flick the power button either once or twice for the device to come back on. It may be my PSP thats a little strange here, but after a hard-reset, I always have to press the power on button twice to get the PSP to fire up.

The hard reset method is normally sufficient to bring the PSP back to life and resume use, although it may mean you lose your place in the game you were playing.

The alternative to the hard reset is to drop the battery out of the PSP. While I don’t really recommend this, sometimes a hard-reset will fail and this is your only option. To do this, simply drop the battery out of the PSP by sliding the cover open, and then wait for a few seconds. Pop the battery back in and fire up the PSP. Hopefully all will be well.

Good luck.
That's if it hangs while still on, happens loads of times.