Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sky BB connection drops Afternoon/evening

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2008, 02:59 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky BB connection drops Afternoon/evening

Hi guys,

I seem to be having problems with my connection which keeps dropping in the late afternoon/evening(4-12pm).I am using a extension which i have to use because my Master box is in the hallway between the front door and stair case which means there is no room to have a computer so i have the computer in a upstairs room.The extension was wired into the master socket by a bt engineer.I have the new style Black router and i looked at my stats which show my noise margin is under 6db and sometimes has low has 0db.I have tested it on the mastersocket and the speed does go up from 3798 to 5100 but the noise margin is still low(again under 6db and sometimes 0db).I have spoken to sky and he did somethings to the router over the phone and he told me that the line the errors have improved but it still drops.I don't know what i can do about the extension because i got to have the computer upstairs and i don't want to go wireless because i go live with my xbox.Any help is very appreciated.
Old 19 January 2008, 03:07 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-r...onnection.html

have look at that site, see if anything helps

mart
Old 19 January 2008, 03:19 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

cheer Mart will take a look
Old 19 January 2008, 05:31 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep that's the reason you are losing sync (disconnection) your noise margin is on the limit. 6db is the minimum for a stable ADSL connection. I'm surprised it stays connected at all when it hits 0db. This issue means normally you have noise on the line, or the extension you are using might be the cause, if it is integrated into the main ring. I have the same issue, but it doesn't happen too often so I put up with it. Unplug any phones, faxes, sky boxes or anything on the line and recheck. If it still happens, get a BT engineer out to test your line. As long as none of your equpiment is faulty i.e Router, filters etc there will be no charge for a main line fix. However if the extension is faulty, they will charge, as BT is only liable for the line into the house, and not the internal wiring

Last edited by bioforger; 19 January 2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 19 January 2008, 06:10 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Had some luck following some advice from a web site i disconnected the orange ring wire from my extension and my line speed has improved from 3700to 5184 but my noise margin is still jumping around 5db - 8db i'm going to try connecting the router to the engineers test socket and see what happens.
Old 19 January 2008, 07:38 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

a filtered faceplate helped my connection from a snr variability perspective.

One of the ones from solwise as I recall

ADSL Splitters, Microfilters & Telecoms Bits

It also removes the requirement for filters on other POTS sockets
Old 19 January 2008, 07:56 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by richie001
Had some luck following some advice from a web site i disconnected the orange ring wire from my extension and my line speed has improved from 3700to 5184 but my noise margin is still jumping around 5db - 8db i'm going to try connecting the router to the engineers test socket and see what happens.
Yea, see the extension was causing some noise on the line. 5-8db might be fine for a stable connection now. You probably still have dirty connections into the house off the main wiring to, explaining the low noise margin.