Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

I need help chosing a KVM..I have unusual needs

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2008, 02:07 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I need help chosing a KVM..I have unusual needs

Ok, the background first so you know how to help

I'm trying to setup a little tech repair facility. I need the ability to use both this computer, and at least one other that may be in for fixing. The issue I am having is that I need to support both new and old machines. That means PS2, USB,VGA and DVI

I also like to use a nice mouse on my main machine. The KVM needs to emulate the use of "advanced" mouse buttons such as back,forward, scroll wheel (both vertical and horizontal).

The KVM also needs to have a physical button that you press to switch machines. I've used ones with hotkeys before and had issues. The hotkey could not be reassigned (and was used by something else) and also while fixing boot issues I've had KVMs get confused with multiple reboots and just sit there and do nothing.

My last KVM was a Belkin Omniview thing with built in cables. It was OK, but suffered the hotkey issues that basically made it useless.

I think its going to be hard to find one that has all the possible connectors I made need. If it does exist, it may simply be too expensive. I'm thinking of using adapters to convert between DVI VGA, PS2 and USB when needed and would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Here is one idea:
Belkin : Omniview Soho Series KVM Switch, PS/2 & USB

The issue with this one is that I have no idea what sort of video connectors it uses for input or output. In addition I have no idea if there is sufficient space for adapters to fit in the area where you need to make the connections. Oh, and the places that sell it don't seem to sell the cables you need...and if they do, they don't sell any of the USB cables.
Old 19 January 2008, 04:03 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

I've got the 4 port version of that Belkin Omniview - which I think is a great bit of kit.

However, I do have problems getting advanced keyboard and mouse functions to work consistently. They normally work for a while but then disappear when you shift screens - so I've pretty much given up trying to use them. Normal buttons and scroll wheel and stuff work fine...

Connections are in the top (you can see the cover for them on the link you provided). Cables plug in downwards, bend through 90 degrees and all channel down the cover and out of the bottom.... it's VERY tight with my 4 way!

There isn't room to get a DVI/VGA convertor in there as well - though you could do it on a flying lead and convert further down the cable I guess.

Curious as to why the hotkey on your old Belkin Omniview was a problem - whereas you don't seem to mention that as an issue with the one you suggested??? (Hotkey on mine is scroll-lock/scroll-lock followed by 1,2,3 or 4).

I've used it with both PS/2 and USB keyboard / mouse - all wireless - and it happily converts across the other machines (so if you have USB keyboard and mouse, you can connect machines using PS/2 or USB and it works fine - and vice versa)

Oh, and whilst they do a native DVI version, for some reason it only supports USB and not PS/2 as well. Current and "legacy" versions I guess... and they're not mixing them!

If you want to know anything else about that one, just ask...

DN
Old 19 January 2008, 04:09 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

... and here's a link to the manual for the one you were thinking of. It includes images of the ports...

http://belkin.httpsvc.vitalstreamcdn...l/soho-man.pdf
Old 19 January 2008, 06:39 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Won't a DVI-VGA convertor help with the DVI issue ?
Old 19 January 2008, 07:08 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Thanks to both of you

Yes, I think I will have to run on DVI-VGA converters on the input side of things. That will mean the adapter is on the back of the computer, with a standard VGA lead going to the 4-port KVM circumventing the space issue.

I will have to do the same on the output side of things if its necessary. Use a standard VGA lead with a DVI adapter for any monitors that are only DVI when I encounter one (should be some time yet).

The Hotkey issue does not seem too bad on your model, its not likely to be used by anything else. In addition, there is a button on the front of the unit to switch input.

I found the manual just after my first post , but thanks for the link.

Looks like I will try and pick one of these up, £66 is the best new price I have seen so far. There is one on ebay, so no bidding on it ok
Old 20 January 2008, 01:14 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

I bought my 4 port a few years ago, and it wasn't cheap...

... however the main hurdle is finding the cables at reasonable cost!

I reckon the cables for my 4 port cost more than the thing itself...

Good luck!