Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PSP to PS3??

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2008, 05:42 AM
SteveJT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSP to PS3??

Forgive me if this has already been asked but im stumped. I got a shiney new PS3 40GB for Crimbo and am struggling to set it up to play wireless with my beloved PSP. I have read the very vague and useless instructions, updated my PSP as requested but it keep saying I have to connect an ethernet cable?? I thought this was to play online with the PS3 not to link it to my PSP??? Anyone had the same trouble??

Also out of all the games I have Assassins Creed keeps locking the PS3 up at certain points, I have changed the game and still experience the same problem?? no other games do this and play fine any suggestions??
Old 19 January 2008, 04:58 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I did this a couple of weeks back. Complete waste of time.

Didnt need an ethernet cable though. I connected the PSP to the PS3 with the usb cable, did the update and then you could operate the PS3 using the PSP as a controller. All the PS3 menus appear on the PSP screen.

God knows why you would want to view the PS3 on your PSP screen though.

I tried playing a few demos and one game and it said they werent compatible,

Obviously the feature must be of some use, but i cant think of it.
Old 19 January 2008, 07:00 PM
lee-swindon
Scooby Regular

when playing formula 1 you can use the psp as a rear view mirror!!
Old 20 January 2008, 03:19 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Yep you you need to update the firmware on the PSP to the latest. The only game I saw previewed to use a PSP with the PS3 what Formula 1 on gamer.tv. And that's so you could use the PSP as a door mirror feature. I do also beleive you can use it to tranfer music from one another etc..
Old 22 January 2008, 07:31 AM
SteveJT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, guess its congratulations to Sony for making a useless connection between the two!
Old 22 January 2008, 09:10 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Plus of course you can download Original PS games through PSN and download them to your PSP to play - You will also soon be able to stream bluray video to your PSP over the wireless network. ANd you can stream stuff the other way obviously.

You can remotely control the PS3 via your PSP from anywhere in the world (for when the PVR functions kick in)

There'll be loads more cool little things in the pipeline.
Old 22 January 2008, 04:29 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

On the subject of psp's and without trying to go off topic, I have been thinking of getting one of these for my lad and I've seen some advertised on ebay with remarks such as "Custom firmware" or "version xxx firmware". Does this mean they have updated the firmware through Sony, or is there something better out there?
Old 22 January 2008, 04:36 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FX02
On the subject of psp's and without trying to go off topic, I have been thinking of getting one of these for my lad and I've seen some advertised on ebay with remarks such as "Custom firmware" or "version xxx firmware". Does this mean they have updated the firmware through Sony, or is there something better out there?
The older firmware's allowed the psp to be opened up to play pirate games amongst other things, Sony plugged the hole by upgrading the firmware, people still sell them advertising the older firmware as a selling feature.
Old 22 January 2008, 04:58 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

There is plenty of custom firmware out there that can let you play Emulators/pirated games

(Some of the emulators are absolutely fantastic)

Basically they fool your PSP into thinking it has the lastest version of the firmware (newer games will insist on newer firmware) so that you can still run emulators etc, whilst still being able to play the latest games.

This is easier to do with PSP with older firmware, because it takes a while for people to crack the lastest firmware.

However, it will always be managed, so regardless of what firmware you have, at some point it will get cracked.
Old 22 January 2008, 05:06 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the quick answers chaps
Old 22 January 2008, 06:44 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

1.50 is the original and easily upgraded firmware.
Old 22 January 2008, 09:49 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

every version of the firmware has been hacked

I just upped my psp to 3.80M33-5 ..... Dark_alex's custom hacked firmware. Streaming music to my kitchen stereo is the only thing I do with my PSP now and I wanted the internet radio functions of 3.80