Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone made their own Media PC?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2008, 02:15 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone made their own Media PC?

With all this HD-DVD/BlueRay battle still going (even though BR has effectively won) I was considering making my own Media PC. Not bothered yet about having a HD-DVD or BR drive, as I'd want it mostly for playing HD quality downloaded movies.

I'd want something Micro ATX or flat based like a DVD player size, in black.

Any suggestions? I'd have a fairly low budget (£150 odd). But the CPU hasn't got to be sh*t hot has it, surely the main thing is being able to play the files with a fairly decent graphics card.
Old 14 January 2008, 02:21 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you'll struggle on a £150 budget - The cases for a Media centres cna be quite high.

Once you have got processor/mobo/memory sorted you will be near to £150 as it is - Even low end. Once you add on GFX card, PSU, case, DVD drive you will looking at around £260 ish and that's scrimping.
Old 14 January 2008, 02:25 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Asus do a barebones with hdmi but around 80 quid. Add cpu, memory, disk, dvd, wireless keyboard, software, as Pete says, you're going to be tight on that budget.

You'll get a popcorn for that money.
Old 14 January 2008, 02:50 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
mostly for playing HD quality downloaded movies.
The CPU + GFX card requirement for HD will set you back more than £100 easily. You'll need at least a dual core 4200 AMD or equivalent or you'll get dropped frames when anything happens outside of the playback software. I would also suggest at least an 8600 GT or equivalent gfx card.

J
Old 14 January 2008, 03:10 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

So £150 will be too tight. My budgetting is pretty crap, so I'll go over anyway.
But really I'd only need a case, mobo/cpu, maybe memory. I've always got a few spare parts laying about HDD, and an OK graphics card that has a DVI output and HD capabilites.

thanks for the input JudgeJules, I'll remember that when choosing cpu.

HankScorpio, do you have a link for the ASUS?

I would really only use it for a media player, so not interested in a wireless mouse and keyboard (even though they are cheap now). I'd just use a wired mouse, click on the file and watch.
Old 14 January 2008, 03:19 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Here you go:
Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

If it's only for MPC, I'd disagree with the minimun of 8600Gt, I've got integrated Intel G965 and it plays 1080p OK.

But for that money and to do only media, save yourself grief and cost, get one of these:
Welcome To Popcorn Hour
Old 14 January 2008, 03:22 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
If it's only for MPC, I'd disagree with the minimun of 8600Gt, I've got integrated Intel G965 and it plays 1080p OK.
Yeah, but what processor do you have in there?

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2008, 03:25 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz
Old 14 January 2008, 04:01 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

motherboard with suitable gfx on board:

Foxconn Winfast 6150K8MD Motherboard – HTPC users dream? :: TweakTown
Old 14 January 2008, 04:35 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
Here you go:
Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

But for that money and to do only media, save yourself grief and cost, get one of these:
Welcome To Popcorn Hour
I like the ASUS. Thats what I'd be after. What cpu could I go up to, speed wise, as it says it doesn't support Core 2 Duo? Would it actually need a graphics card to play anything HD?

Not really after just a media player, even though thats all I'd be using, I'd still want some upgradable options for the future.
Old 14 January 2008, 04:45 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

No, graphics are in it (Integrated ATI Radeon 1250) and takes AMD cpus, will take one drive, on dvd/bd but due to small format, might need short form factor cards if you go that way.

Might need a bit more looking at tho, scan say:
"P2-M2A690G supports HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) with HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) function. It provides the high video quality, 1080P, of Blue-ray and HD DVD. Enjoy the high definition digital life easily."

Asus say:
"P2-M2A690G, the first booksize PC with HDMI function in the world, supports Blu-ray and HD DVD to provide high video quality. It also provides HD audio and S/PDIF output. Enjoy the new experience of home entertainment easily.

*It may not display 1080p smoothly when playing HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc due to current version player limit"

So not quite sure what that means.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.