Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

X-Box 360 Wireless Adaptor.

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2008, 03:50 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Box 360 Wireless Adaptor.

Are there any third party suggestions? £50 odd notes seems a little steep...
Old 09 January 2008, 03:53 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

You could pick one up for £40 a few weeks back in places. check HDUK.
Old 10 January 2008, 05:05 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Any wireless access point will do.

For example - Amazon.co.uk: Netgear WG602 54G Access Point: Electronics & Photo
Old 11 January 2008, 09:34 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately an Access Point used for the 360 connecting to a wireless router will not work. Reason being is an Access Points main role is to serve wireless clients, not act as a wireless client. Access Points do have other functions such as client mode/WDS/bridging etc but these features are designed to work with another Access Point of the same model In some rare cases wireless routers from the same manufacture can utilise the additional features as well.

The simplest solution would be to use an Wireless Ethernet Bridge such as Belkin F5D7330uk Gaming Adapter / Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge - HotUKDeals Forum or Broadbandbuyer.co.uk | HomePlug AV. I use the latter for my 360 and found the Homeplug 85 to be very good for gaming.
Old 11 January 2008, 09:47 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerV2
Unfortunately an Access Point used for the 360 connecting to a wireless router will not work. Reason being is an Access Points main role is to serve wireless clients, not act as a wireless client. Access Points do have other functions such as client mode/WDS/bridging etc but these features are designed to work with another Access Point of the same model In some rare cases wireless routers from the same manufacture can utilise the additional features as well.

Won't it?

Bugger.

Just don't tell my 360 that the Netgear Wireless access point that it is hooked up to via ethernet cable and inturn over the wireless network to my router isn't suppose to work....

What a load of bollocks.
Old 11 January 2008, 10:17 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Won't it?

Bugger.

Just don't tell my 360 that the Netgear Wireless access point that it is hooked up to via ethernet cable and inturn over the wireless network to my router isn't suppose to work....

What a load of bollocks.
Someone has got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!!
What does my last line say in my previous post! It says that some wireless routers can utilise the features of the Access Point. Features such as client mode or WDS!! (Admittedly not in those words though!)

What is a load of rubbish though is your statement saying "Any wireless access point will do". If you can make any access point talk within the top 20 list of manufactures to communicate to any wireless router then you sir are genius!

I'll give you one gold star though for highlighting the WG602 as a good AP though! you where right with that being a good AP.
Old 11 January 2008, 10:28 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerV2
Someone has got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!!
What does my last line say in my previous post! It says that some wireless routers can utilise the features of the Access Point. Features such as client mode or WDS!! (Admittedly not in those words though!)

What is a load of rubbish though is your statement saying "Any wireless access point will do". If you can make any access point talk within the top 20 list of manufactures to communicate to any wireless router then you sir are genius!

I'll give you one gold star though for highlighting the WG602 as a good AP though! you where right with that being a good AP.
Sorry that wasn't supposed to come out quite as agrresive as it is - wasn't meant that way!!

To be honest I have never had a problem getting any access point talking to any router, and thats with a mixture of belkins, netgears, linksys etc etc. When setting up friends 360s to thier wireless networks.

Trending Topics

Old 11 January 2008, 11:20 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded in a couple of old games in at gamestation against one, took the hit out of the big bill
Works great though.
Old 13 January 2008, 12:25 PM
filfy
Scooby Regular

If you connect your 360 to a wireless router via an ethernet cable then you dont need the 360 wireless adapter.
If you cannot connect a ethernet cable to the wireless router because they are in different rooms etc then your only option is to use the 360 wireless adapter to transmit the signal to the wireless router.
Old 13 January 2008, 12:52 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by filfy
If you connect your 360 to a wireless router via an ethernet cable then you dont need the 360 wireless adapter.
I know

If you cannot connect a ethernet cable to the wireless router because they are in different rooms etc then your only option is to use the 360 wireless adapter to transmit the signal to the wireless router.
I know

I've looked at the alternatives. The price difference isn't that great but more importantly for me, they all seem bulkier and not as sleek as the official option. Guess thats what I'll buy.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited by andrewdelvard; 13 January 2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: correction
Old 14 January 2008, 09:05 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by filfy
No, it isn't.
Old 14 January 2008, 10:27 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
No, it isn't.
I think he meant a wireless adaptor not just a 360 wireless adaptor.
Old 14 January 2008, 10:46 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
I think he meant a wireless adaptor not just a 360 wireless adaptor.
You need to be careful - A wireless adapter in term of any old USB one won't work. Only the 360 official one will work via USB.

If you are going to use the ethernet port, then you can use a variety of Wireless bridges/Access points for a wireless connection, although these need a power point near by as they need thier own power supply.
Old 14 January 2008, 10:51 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I'm using the official xbox adapter on my elite downstairs. Sure it costs a little more, but it's so much easier to set up / use than other types I've tried, is integrated nicely into the xbox settings, and it doesn't need a second power supply plugged into the wall (probably pays for itself after a while due to the saving in electricity )...