Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Surge protector multi-sockets

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2008, 08:51 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Surge protector multi-sockets

Choice between DIY forum and here, I'll try here

New PC went dead after a couple of months, gave it back to the supplier (a friend) he said the PS was zapped and replaced it under warranty. Said it would be better to fit a surge protector, also for costly things like big telly ( )

Just bought a 4-block belkin surge protector for the AV system which came with a free single for something like a fax machine a week ago. Back in the shop today to get something for the PC setup and started looking more closely. (Really can't justify a UPS). I find that the 4-block has protection up to 19kA but the single has protection of up to 25kA - and the single, being single, is a hell of a lot cheaper. Both have the same max load rating (3760w -ish).

So, two questions -

1. Is there anything wrong with putting the single into the wall then plugging a usual (unprotected) 4-block into that? Seems to be less cost, same number of sockets, better protection! If so, all the shops selling massive 8-blocks with comparatively low protection are a bit of a con...

2. How does a surge work, say if I put two in line? If I have one rated 19kA plugged into another rated 25kA, if a surge overpowers the first, does it hit the second with full power or is it depleted by (more or less) that amount? (Question might have some of you in tears of laughter but electrickery ain't my strong point )

TVM
Brendan
Old 07 January 2008, 09:00 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

err, ummm, what? errr, yes

My understanding of electrics is basic, I think a post in DIY is more likely to get an electrician reading it.

For what I think I know you would be fine doing what you are planning. A surge protector detects surges and protects against them. Anything that is plugged into the protector is meant to be fine. The protector is not going to be able to distinguish between a single massive television, or four small televisions plugging in via a multi socket. On that basis, I can see no issue with your plans so long as you do not exceed the protector's capacity.

On another note, for computers you have to be careful. You need to protect all routes into the computer, not just the PSU. If you have speakers, then all the cables (and power for the speakers) need to be surge protected. The same for network cables etc etc.

As a specific example, if you have a network cable leading from you mobo through a hub to a router. Then the hubs and routers will also have to have protection, otherwise they could pass a surge through to your computer.
Old 07 January 2008, 09:11 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 6 way surge protected extension lead running all the av stuff downstairs.

mart