Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

My Turn for the RROD

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2007, 09:23 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Turn for the RROD

My launch day 360 has died tonight with the 3 flashing red quadrants First sign was the console crashed while in the HD-DVD menu screen for the Bourne Ultimatum.

Guess it'll be away for its Christmas break.................
Old 18 December 2007, 10:19 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that Pete . My launch premium has just died again as well. This will be the 7th time now, and it only came back from MS repair department about 3 weeks ago (after having the motherboard replaced). Going to ring them and give them a little talking to after xmas.

Luckily, I've got an Elite as well so I can play stuff over xmas (I was just using the old premium for streaming photos etc) but I'm not impressed.
Old 18 December 2007, 12:27 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you heard of the towel wrapping fix?

The RROD is due to heat and the constant expansion and contraction of the mobo lifting the CPU off its die (apparently anway)

If you wrap the machine in a couple of towels and block up all the vents and then turn it on you'll overheat the machine very quickly. This can either make the CPU re-sit on the mobo or melt solder joints that have broken.

I've seen it work and was horrified about wrapping it in a towel as the proble is heat related but it can and does work. However it is only temporary.