Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Norton files clogging up the hard drive - ok to delete?

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2007, 06:21 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norton files clogging up the hard drive - ok to delete?

My pc came with Windows XP and Norton antivirus loaded onto it. Norton has never been activated, due to a past experience I had where it currupted the boot sector of the hard drive in an old pc!

However, I've noticed the hard drive space has been gradually dwindling, and found out this evening that Norton appears to have been creating a .dmp file each time the pc has been switched on - now amounting to 25GB of files!!

Am I safe to get rid of these .dmp files (each around 50MB) and consign Norton to the recycle bin?
Old 03 December 2007, 08:41 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

The first thing you should run on any PC with Norton
Old 03 December 2007, 01:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I echo that sentiment. I was rebuilding a friends machine and he had purchase Norton AV 2007 for it. The machine was running quickly and happily prior to it's installation, post install the machine took a very long time to startup and shutdown, oh and run any apps.

My next step was to remove Norton and install AVG, it's free and works rather well and it is nowhere near the resource hog Norton is.
Old 03 December 2007, 08:23 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Norton Removal. It breaks machines in my experience, and those it does not break just run slow.

As an alternative consider Spyware Terminator. Its free, can include a virus scanner, and offers real time protection. AVG is unable to do this for the free version.

I do not have a lot of personal experience with Spyware Terminator as I use NOD32. However, if I was going to trust a free solution I would try this.
Old 04 December 2007, 08:09 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice and link

I'll have a go at removing this Norton stuff later!
Old 05 December 2007, 09:10 AM
StratosWRC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Another vote for Norton Removal. It breaks machines in my experience, and those it does not break just run slow.

As an alternative consider Spyware Terminator. Its free, can include a virus scanner, and offers real time protection. AVG is unable to do this for the free version.

I do not have a lot of personal experience with Spyware Terminator as I use NOD32. However, if I was going to trust a free solution I would try this.
My Mcafee ends this week so I had a look at Spyware Terminator which comes with Clam AV, but whatever I tried I could not enable the AV and so have the windows 'you are not protected' balloon showing.

If anyone using this can offer any advice.
The FAQ does mention how to enable it but this does not fix it.
Old 05 December 2007, 06:22 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Ahhh, with having NOD on this machine I never attempted to install the realtime virus scanning "Clam part".

It is sometimes possible for these things to be worked, but windows not to realise. It may be worth double checking to see if Clam is actually working. If it is, then you just disable the windows warning bubble. Something I used to have to do for a firewall I used to use, I forget which one