Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Half Life 2 episode 2! any problems??

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2007, 10:25 AM
muskeeuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half Life 2 episode 2! any problems??

Has anyone experienced problems with this on PC. I downloaded from Steam but about a quarter of the way through the screen just freezes!! No problems up until this point, no flickers, no jumping, nothing. I tried reinstalling - fine up to the same point and then -crash! I have a high end gaming unit - 6600 quad core, 8800GFX + loads of memeory etc so hardware can't be the problem. I went on to FAQ - bloody hell!! - Bill 'Soddin' Gates would be hard pressed to navigate his way round that lot. You need to be IT consultant just to work out what the text says leave alone complete the tasks. Is there anyone out there with any 'layman-type' assistance. Cheers
Old 26 November 2007, 10:47 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it freezing a quarter of the way through downloading the game, or playing the game?
Old 26 November 2007, 11:02 AM
muskeeuk
Scooby Regular

Actually playing the game. Just at the end (I think) of 'Vortal Combat'. It feels as though it's just about to go through a loading process, where the screen stops and the word 'loading' appears, just as it has on numerous occasions already - but nothing happens - then I get the message 'hl2 has stopped working properly' (as if I wasn't already aware of that!!) I've installed all new updates, firmware and drivers, but I'm not confident enough to start messing about in the registry and such. I'm running Vista Ultimate, by the way. cheerzzz for any help.
Old 26 November 2007, 12:05 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not reached Vortal Combat yet , nor do i use vista, it maybe a directx 10 issue? is there anyway to disable it in the video settings?
Old 26 November 2007, 12:32 PM
muskeeuk
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure tbh. The problem is that the damn thing works up to that point. I would have thought that if Direct x10 is to blame wouldn't that stop the game operating at all? Anyway, thanx for your suggestion - I'll try reverting to dX 9 or even 8 perhaps. cheerzzzzzzz
Old 26 November 2007, 10:43 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

ive played it all the way thru with no probs (dx9 - xp sp2), but running it from the disc
Old 27 November 2007, 10:09 AM
muskeeuk
Scooby Regular

That's what I thought might be a goer - I bought the game thru Steam to download in good faith to also enable me to access the 'community' (Big Deal!!) but it doesn't work properly (and neither does the community) Does this mean that I am eligible to have the game sent to me on disk? Can anyone shed any light on this please? I know that I am not eligible for any refund 'either part or whole' as it quite clearly states in the Steam 'contract'!! - but the item I have is not fit for purpose - in any other walk of life you would receive a replacement or a refund. I have a nasty suspicion that this does not apply. The moral of the story - DON'T TOUCH STEAM WITH A BARGEPOLE - Pay a little bit more for the disk and then there is some comeback at least. cheerzzz for any continuing assistance. Bob

I sent a question to Steam outling the problem with the programme and the lack of help available to 'non IT techies' - I've just received an e-mail from one of the staff at Steam!! The email states that my problem has now been addressed and rectified and that if I reboot HL2 and download the available update, everything will be fine!! And, guess what? I've rebooted, played the game, got to the lock-up point and sailed straight thru - no probs - good old Steam!! thanx to all who offered asistance tho'. cheers Bob

Last edited by muskeeuk; 03 December 2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: update