Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Replace laptop touchpad?

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2007, 12:24 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace laptop touchpad?

Hi All,

My 18 month old laptop has developed a bit of a finger mark in the middle of the touch pad through excessive mousing

It looks like it's just rubbed off the top layer of coating in a small finger tip sized area and still works perfectly but just looks a bit tatty.

Does anybody know if it's like to be a cheap repair to replace the pad or not worth it just for cosmetics?
Old 25 November 2007, 05:08 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

My works laptop has the same thing

I dont care with mine, it makes it look tatty, and is more leverage for me to try and get a new laptop from the boss, but I have a feeling I am going to have to stick a screwdriver through it before he will give in

You could try ebay or one of the laptop spares suppliers

I could do with a new left mouse button for my dell lattitude as its having to be pressed quite hard now, so could do with replacing
Old 25 November 2007, 05:58 PM
drive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
My works laptop has the same thing

I dont care with mine, it makes it look tatty, and is more leverage for me to try and get a new laptop from the boss, but I have a feeling I am going to have to stick a screwdriver through it before he will give in

You could try ebay or one of the laptop spares suppliers

I could do with a new left mouse button for my dell lattitude as its having to be pressed quite hard now, so could do with replacing
cant you swap the button for the right one in settings as you will then use the left less often

start,control panel then click mouse you can alter the button configuration

ceri

Last edited by drive; 25 November 2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 25 November 2007, 06:00 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk
Hi All,

My 18 month old laptop has developed a bit of a finger mark in the middle of the touch pad through excessive mousing

It looks like it's just rubbed off the top layer of coating in a small finger tip sized area and still works perfectly but just looks a bit tatty.

Does anybody know if it's like to be a cheap repair to replace the pad or not worth it just for cosmetics?
make & model ?
Old 25 November 2007, 06:05 PM
drive
Scooby Regular

failing that buy a usb mouse you can get them quite small these days so not so bulky in the bag
Old 25 November 2007, 06:14 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

TBH I would rather just get a new pad & mouse buttons, as it is a complete seperate unit, so very easy to replace on my Dell

I do have a small USB mouse but I use that exclusively with my works laptop, and the one I have is really nice, and aren't that cheap otherwise I would get one for home use as well, and even though the mouse is my own personal one, I cant be bothered remembering to put it back in my works laptop bag
Old 25 November 2007, 10:25 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Ooh, anyone know of laptop spares suppliers? Looking for a Radean Mobility graphics card for a Dell Inspiron 8200.
Old 27 November 2007, 12:36 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Try here Laptop Battery, Laptop Charger, Laptop Repairs, Laptop Spares and Laptop Accessory from Laptopbits.

There was another one once, but cant remember the name off the top of my head, but also Ebay may be worth a try too