Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

CS custom maps...

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2002, 11:57 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

first i would like to thank mikeeb for providing the server - very much appreciated. i have some constructive critisism.... custom maps.... my argument is as follows:

1) As most people don't know the map, tactics fly out the window - voice comms don't exist - because people are either unsure of where they are or exploring.

2) On change to a custom map - say if 10 ppl were playing then upon map change only 3 or 4 of those ppl will have the custom map - so - if you are lucky someone with admin rights will change the map to a standard CS map otherwise we have to wait until map vote or the other peeps have DL the map via the CS server and this takes about 15 mins (seems to be restricted to 5k a sec).

conculsion; i am most grateful for this server, it is brilliant being able to play amongst friends and not have to worry about cheating scum - it is nice being able to get shot and then say to your assassin - nice shot. but i am not a fan of the "custom" maps.
like i said at the start - not having a go - just pointing out some facts.
Old 14 January 2002, 12:04 AM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Just a thought....

The map list on the server has been published load of time over the last week (Three time by me alone). Is there any excuse for not having downloafed them?
Old 14 January 2002, 12:08 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

JJ

- Mike has reduced the number of custom maps so the worst should have passed. When I was on tonight we did change back quickly at least once when we saw the map change had dropped people.

http://cs.whoc.org.uk/sti-maps is a listing of the actual maps directory on our server. A quick run down should give you a list of the maps reqd. then go to http://www.cs-mas.jolt.co.uk search and download. This wil make sure a) you get it as a zip to save time and b) any additional sound files are included.

The file transfer within C/S is total pants even on a local lan so avoid it

Hopefully we should be able to keep the Maps static for a while so everyone can get them. If the download is causing a real problem I could burn all the current ones to a cd and pop it in the post ?

Several are available as the counter-maps map pack. http://countermap.counter-strike.net/packs.html

Deano
Old 14 January 2002, 12:31 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

all the maps that are on the server have been put in threads in last couple of days- all easy to get so no excuses

i didnt spend ages checking i had them just to have to ditch the map cause someone else didnt bother.

so there

Tiggs
Old 14 January 2002, 09:06 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Red face

yes, sorry to say that i've told people numerous times to make sure you download the maps.

they've been published frequently on threads on here by me / orb / mike and you only have to join the server (or check the web site) to get a list of them ?

so come on u lpb lot go and download them.

i've always quickly changed back to a standard map when i've seen people having problems but its getting annoying by now that people have not imho 'been bothered' to spend a few mins sorting them out b4 a session.

wont take u lpb's more than a few mins to get them all !

i'm still stuck with about a 7k/sec download speed and i've got the lot !
Old 14 January 2002, 11:03 AM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

I think I've got all of them now, including the ones that we've just dropped from the list (before I even played them).

Has anyone tried the Boatseason ones, looked at them on a Lan game, seem like they'd be a laugh.

As to people not having the right maps, would it be possible for somebody with hosting space to create one big mappack zip file for us all to download, that'd solve the problem and presumably be a big help to anyone who joins us from now on ?

Just a thought.

And thanks to all who provide/admin the STi server
Old 14 January 2002, 01:57 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

http://cs.whoc.org.uk/sti-maps/

Look at the bottom for a large tar file.

--
Mike (feeling a whole lot better today)

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2002, 02:04 PM
Damaja
Scooby Regular

Ello peeps, does the .tar file have all the sounds etc as well?

cheers me dears
Old 14 January 2002, 03:33 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Agree.

We should mostly stick to the standard maps (inc Thunder) plus Assault2k, Dawn and the Countermap pack of Winternights, India, Celtic and Village.

Er, that's it.....
Old 14 January 2002, 04:15 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

No its just the maps, but it should save you messing about. *.wav files don't exactly take long to download, but would have taken me an age to sort out.... hang on... I've got a brilliant idea.

Look for further .tar files

--
Mike
Old 14 January 2002, 04:19 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mike, with all these tar files flying around, I take it you are like Orbv, a *nix hacker as he puts it
Old 14 January 2002, 04:45 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

Been playing with Sun's for near on 10 years now. Started off on errrr, now then.... let me think....

Old Sun 3/60's IIRC (plus 3/50's), then went onto the dizzy heights of ELC'S, SLC's Sparc1+'s, Sparc2's, the rest is history. Done quite a lot of Cisco IOS as well, although not for the last 2 years.

Its a small world. I knew Orbv, before I knew him if you get my drift.

--
Mikee
Old 14 January 2002, 04:49 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

Anyway, I won't be playing CS for much longer

Elaine has bought me the MS Train Sim for my birthday, which is under 4 weeks away now. (big 30). I've always wanted to go "flat out" in a train through a station Im supposed to stop at

--
Mike
Old 14 January 2002, 04:55 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Question

if your birthday is still 4 weeks away how come you know you are getting it for a pressie !!!
Old 14 January 2002, 06:59 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks - will download the .tar file
Old 15 January 2002, 12:24 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Wink

tar mike hehe

The old ones are the best
Old 15 January 2002, 12:46 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

Old ones are the best. In the case of Sun servers, the old 3/50-60's used to have a set of LED's on the back that used to light up "knight rider" style. The speed of them used to depend on the load.

Now I think they should be put back on all Sun servers as of now. They looked cool as f£ck

Flashing lights in dark data centres look cool. Also make ppl think they are getting more for their money

--
Mike
Old 15 January 2002, 12:53 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Wink

Flashing lights are cool

The only Knight Rider lights we have left are on the Perc raid controllers on Dell hardware. But they are internal

9am is the best time in the server room. The disk activity lights on all those hd's light up the room

Man, I must get out more