Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Jeff Minter ISN'T happy

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2007, 11:07 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeff Minter ISN'T happy

After dismal sales of his new game, Space Giraffe on XBLA he's been ranting on his blog:

"Not seeing a lot of reason to continue even trying to make games, at this point, when a remake of Frogger, one of the worst games in the history of old arcade games, can outsell Space Giraffe that we put so much love and effort into, by more than ten to one, in one week,"
writes Minter on his blog.

"OK, we get the message. All you want on that channel is remakes of old, ****e arcade games and crap you vaguely remember playing on your Amiga. We'll shut up trying to do anything new then. Sorry for even trying"
, Minter added.
Old 23 November 2007, 12:35 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe because his game was utter crap, just my opinion, he's a drugged up hippy
Old 23 November 2007, 08:58 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Oh dear.

"All you want on that channel is remakes of old, ****e arcade games and crap you vaguely remember playing on your Amiga"

Bit rich from someone that has made a career out of copying old games.
Old 23 November 2007, 09:04 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Maybe because his game was utter crap, just my opinion, he's a drugged up hippy
agreed, i thought space giraffe was crap,

e4 was "different" and quite good imo
Old 23 November 2007, 09:25 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I quite liked Space Giraffe. I wouldn't be happy if I paid £20 (or more) for it, but once you got into the game it kept me amused for a good few hours.

Steve
Old 23 November 2007, 10:58 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Yep, agreed. I really enjoyed Space Giraffe. Still go back to it every now and then when I feel like an arcade fix. Up there with geo-wars imo
Old 23 November 2007, 04:05 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yes remakes of ****e old games, his argument that his re-makes are of real classic games such as defender (stargate was his?), robotron which he did as llamatron which was awesome and mad!

Bit sad the he has thrown his toys out of his pram. He just needs to understand that more people are aware of frogger than they are of him and his works of art.

Gary
Old 23 November 2007, 04:13 PM
TimWRX01
Scooby Regular

It's probably because most people on live are spotty little schoolboys who just want to shoot ***** or drive fast cars

They won't even know who Jeff Minter is
Old 23 November 2007, 06:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I was never a big fan back in the day, but have an admiration of him as an individual and an artist, his games were individual and had character, I am sorry to see that Space Giraffe didn't do well and it kind of puts the final nail in the coffin of the one man band, bedroom developer and leaves it to accountants to decide what gets made, that said spitting his dummy out isnt the way to go. A bit of resigned, dignified and eloquently expressed disappointment might gain him some more credibility.

That said, I couldn't really make head nor tail of Space Giraffe but perhaps didn't give it that much of a chance and the KLF sample of "Mu MU" drove me mad.
Old 23 November 2007, 07:54 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I was never a big fan back in the day, but have an admiration of him as an individual and an artist, his games were individual and had character, I am sorry to see that Space Giraffe didn't do well and it kind of puts the final nail in the coffin of the one man band, bedroom developer and leaves it to accountants to decide what gets made, that said spitting his dummy out isnt the way to go. A bit of resigned, dignified and eloquently expressed disappointment might gain him some more credibility.

That said, I couldn't really make head nor tail of Space Giraffe but perhaps didn't give it that much of a chance and the KLF sample of "Mu MU" drove me mad.
Its a shame, but as people say, the game just didn't appeal. He's an ace coder in his field, but a square peg in a round hole. Perhaps he should've taken a look at XBLA and checked out what sells.

Totally agree with the irony of him having a go at arcade game rip-offs when he made a career of it until recently.

Hopefully, I can see bedroom coders joining forces er, bedrooms and creating more indie work. The power and low cost of the modern computer has opened the door for high level languages.
Old 24 November 2007, 11:32 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yes I think flash based games are the way to go for the biggest cross platform compatability, pc/*nix/OS x and wii/ps3 and xbox via web browsers.
Old 25 November 2007, 08:08 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

I like the idea of Linux running on your console.

Plenty of high level stuff you can code for and compile for Linux. Just needs the appropriate drivers written for the target platform.
Old 28 November 2007, 12:46 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

You do have to be of a "certain age" to get Jeff Minter.. and he did always come across as someone who'd got stuck somwhere in the late 1960's who'd been given "this awesome computer man.. COSMIC!"

He should have just coded Llamatron for XBL

..Now if only David Brabham would go work for CCP......

And what happend to Dizzy anyhow? I DEMAND a new Dizzy from codemasters..

*snaps out of old-school gaming heaven.. *
Old 28 November 2007, 05:57 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Jeff Minters Dad was my boss a few decades ago ...... and the family lived a few doors away, had a big Llama painted on the garage door