Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Routers? I wish I'd never heard of 'em.

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2007, 06:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down Routers? I wish I'd never heard of 'em.

Anyone who saw my recent post will know that I followed recommendations given to me by a local computer shop, and bought a Buffalo router.

So far, I've been offline more than I've been on. I've had about an hour's worth of calls to buffalo, an hour to Acer and the b@stard thing has crashed AGAIN.

We could only get the kid's Acer laptop online by assigning it a static IP address, how crap is THAT?

The buffalo helpline told me to unplug my modem, leave it for two hours, (I gave it three), plug in again, and all would be well.

Not a fekkin chance. I can't get online AT ALL with the router inline, I've had to unplug it completely to get online. All I get is: "Can't find DHC-P server" whatever the fek THAT means.

Anyhow, the router is back in it's box and going back to the shop tomorrow.
An' if I don't get a full refund, they better watch out.

Alcazar
Old 21 November 2007, 07:01 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt touch Buffalo or Acer if they give me there entire stock of products
Old 21 November 2007, 07:23 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Buffalo products aren't that bad...acer though, well that is asking for trouble!
Old 21 November 2007, 07:31 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Netgear for me and I added a wireless print server for £56 ! All works fine can't praise them enough...

Dunx

P.S. I'm a luddite really...
Old 21 November 2007, 08:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerV2
Buffalo products aren't that bad...acer though, well that is asking for trouble!
Jeez............I put a thread on here BEFORE buying and got loads of replies about Acer, not one of which was bad, all saying they never miss a beat, are bombproof etc

NOW you tell me..................

Alcazar
Old 21 November 2007, 09:09 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

turn it off for three hours?? WTF ?

Are you a Virgin Media Customer?
Old 21 November 2007, 10:58 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Jeez............I put a thread on here BEFORE buying and got loads of replies about Acer, not one of which was bad, all saying they never miss a beat, are bombproof etc

NOW you tell me..................

Alcazar
Sorry I never saw your thread on the Acer's, least I don't think I did, Im sure I posted seomthing recently about how pi55 poor Acer's are, it may have been in a PM to someone though

Acers are certainly NOT bomb proof, unless the bomb is made out of 3 feathers and a small brown paper bag
Old 22 November 2007, 08:17 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

We've supplied LOTS of Acer desktops without problems. In fact, we've had to send ONE machine back, and a monitor has just developed a fault.

I don't think they're service department is the fastest thing but we've rarely had to use it.

I have a Bufallo NAS and that's been great too. However, sounds like you've got a dodgy router, Take it back and get the bog standard Netgear - just works and is pretty easy to set up.
Old 22 November 2007, 08:21 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

The buffalo helpline told me to unplug my modem, leave it for two hours, (I gave it three), plug in again, and all would be well.

Alcazar
Ah yes the standard fob him off tactic

Echo the above comments about Netgear, easy to set up and shouldn't give you much trouble
Old 22 November 2007, 09:05 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Is it worth going through the fundamentals of how to setup your network? The chances are you are doing things right, but just have been unlucky. Maybe there is something you are doing that is wrong, or something else is broken?

For example, you have tried using different filters?

Also, get your system back to basics. Get rid of all extra telephones, and try and unplug all unnecessary extensions. You want to have only one filter plugged into the phone line where it comes into your house. You want your router plugged straight into that filter.

There are a lot of connection issues that can be caused by things like that, however most of them do not actually crash your router. Fiddling with routers settings though can and does crash a fair few of them from time to time.
Old 22 November 2007, 09:10 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Oh, and get someone else with a wireless computer into your house. You don't want to have just the Acer laptop trying to verify the wireless capability of your router. The issues may be more down to a faulty card in the Acer than a faulty router.

Its always nice to test by components swapping if you are able. Two laptops and one router can tell you were the fault is. One laptop and one router just leaves you scratching your head.
Old 22 November 2007, 09:29 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Sorry I never saw your thread on the Acer's, least I don't think I did, Im sure I posted seomthing recently about how pi55 poor Acer's are, it may have been in a PM to someone though

Acers are certainly NOT bomb proof, unless the bomb is made out of 3 feathers and a small brown paper bag
Never saw that thread either!

We have two Acer monitors at work and both buzz. Both repaired and they still have the fault - rubbish!
Old 22 November 2007, 10:14 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Anyone who saw my recent post will know that I followed recommendations given to me by a local computer shop, and bought a Buffalo router.
you can take it back to them for your money back. Not fit for purpose and all that.

We could only get the kid's Acer laptop online by assigning it a static IP address, how crap is THAT?
nothing wrong with a static IP. Static IPs are needed for port forwarding, which is something you need for games, voice, P2P etc. Just make the static IP a reasonably high number so it never conflicts with an automatically assigned one.

minutes yes, hours no. Tell them they are talking rubbish and want to speak to someone else.

Not a fekkin chance. I can't get online AT ALL with the router inline, I've had to unplug it completely to get online. All I get is: "Can't find DHC-P server" whatever the fek THAT means.

DHCP server is the thing that hands out IP addresses. Without that you have to assign your own static IPs. Your router should be working as one, but it is possible something else on the network is working as one which is causing conflicts.
Old 22 November 2007, 01:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Default Where I am now.......

Took the Buffalo back this morning, shop didn't fuss, just refunded me.

Then I drove around the corner and bought a Netgear WGR 614.

Straight online with the wired computer, (desktop). Straight online with the lad's Acer.

Just waiting the eldest to come home from work to check that his X-Box is online too.

Fingers crossed that everything works. Oh and it's on a dedicated broadband line, so no connection issues as far as I can see.

Cheers for any replies and help.

Alcazar
Old 22 November 2007, 06:39 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Cool

(remember to sort your encryption out)