Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Viewing a CCTV camera remotely

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2007, 12:29 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Viewing a CCTV camera remotely

I have a Netgear rangemax DG834PN router and I want to be able to remotely view a CCTV camera through it. The software on my pc will allow me to do this but the instructions may as well be written in Latin.

This is the network screen of the camera software

How do I get the router allow me to access that from a different computer via the internet?

I am a complete computer retard so any advice would have to be given to me in the most basic terms possible please.

Last edited by FX02; 19 November 2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 19 November 2007, 12:42 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

that looks like the wave-p software to me (i use the same)

what version is it?

basically if you have an early version the dynamic registering will not work (its only just been enabled in v7.0 >>

the way i did it was this

download "dyndns updater" and pick an url @ dyndns website

this will automatically update your pc`s ip when ever it changes

www.washcam.gotdns.org is my url and should automatically bring up a login screen for remote viewing

the system for some reason will not let you login remotely after it has been running for a long time, it has done this for me on every version of the software so far, i have mine setup to reboot the system at 7am every morning (the carwash is open from 8) the "fault/bug" normally happens after 6/7 hours for me which is fine as i only use it to login and check on the staff while i`m not at work.

you should have some software with your card called "DVP" install this on your machine and you can use that to login to the cctv system and view the system remotely (as long as you have a url setup with dyndns etc etc)without the use of internet explorer, this also gives you much higher screen res (ie version online viewing is degraded)

the later versions allow you to register a name with dvr99.org or something as you can see, but i find that quite a bit of the time dvr99.org will not work (i also took washcam.dvr99.org)

i switched off all firewall settings on my netgear router here at work to allow all traffic and just let the windows firewall sort the rest out.

anymore help needed just let me know
ps. later versions of the wave-p software are available at WELCOME TO WAVE-P.COM

i have an 8 camera system running here and its sweet
login from home with the dvp software and you can go back and look at the mornings files, so i could "sleep in" till 10am, then login and view the cams at 8am to make sure the slaves open up on time and such
Old 20 November 2007, 09:27 AM
FX02
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ghetto Dude3

The DVP software is V7.4. I don't know the version for the camera software though.

I went to dyndns and registered with them and have a username adandkd.gotdns.org. What do I need to do with the router and the camera software to allow me to view it from afar??

The dyndns updater which is running in the bottom right hand corner pops up every 5 minutes and tells "error no update"
Old 20 November 2007, 09:35 AM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

you need to point your router to port setup for your camera interface
Old 20 November 2007, 09:35 AM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

ps, what camera you got? and is it any good?
Old 20 November 2007, 10:49 AM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FX02
Cheers Ghetto Dude3

The DVP software is V7.4. I don't know the version for the camera software though.

I went to dyndns and registered with them and have a username adandkd.gotdns.org. What do I need to do with the router and the camera software to allow me to view it from afar??

The dyndns updater which is running in the bottom right hand corner pops up every 5 minutes and tells "error no update"

7.4 is fine, i think i`m still useing 7.2 here (its what came with my latest card i still have a copy of v4.0 on another disk from a card i bought 4 years ago)
goto to a page like "what is my ip.com" or such, make a note of your ip and then make sure that the dyndns updater has updated the new ip to the dyne dns website (login to check)

if that is all honkey dorey, then its just the router to sort out and you are running

i disabled the firewall on my netgear router compleatly as i couldnt be botherd to faff about to much although you could forward the ports (cant remember how to do this off the top of my head but its not that big a job)
Old 20 November 2007, 01:36 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

I think I might have cracked it now Ghetto . Many thanks.

Gazza - The camera is one I've had for a while but its been plugged into my HDD/DVD recorder and I wanted to get it linked up to my pc so I bought a capture card from Ebay (one recommended in a post on the security section on here - It may have been Ghetto actually) Its a good bit of kit and easy to install on the pc. The most difficult part has been trying to make it remotely viewable.
Old 20 November 2007, 05:06 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FX02
I think I might have cracked it now Ghetto . Many thanks.

Gazza - The camera is one I've had for a while but its been plugged into my HDD/DVD recorder and I wanted to get it linked up to my pc so I bought a capture card from Ebay (one recommended in a post on the security section on here - It may have been Ghetto actually) Its a good bit of kit and easy to install on the pc. The most difficult part has been trying to make it remotely viewable.

it was me "stickymicky"

the boy at work uses the ghetto dude login and i can never be bothered so sign out (usually forget lol)

version 8.0 beta is available on the wave-p site, not for our model cards at the moment but i did try the DVP remote client software and that worked, its so worth spending the extra and getting a proper card and not some cheap knock off pirate jobby IMO

ps.yours is now working as its just gave me the login screen asking for a username and password

Last edited by Ghetto Dude3; 20 November 2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06 July 2009, 01:42 PM
Thomasville
Scooby Newbie

Default Please Help

Originally Posted by Ghetto Dude3

what version is it?

basically if you have an early version the dynamic registering will not work (its only just been enabled in v7.0 >>

www.washcam.gotdns.org is my url and should automatically bring up a login screen for remote viewing

the system for some reason will not let you login remotely after it has been running for a long time, it has done this for me on every version of the software so far, i have mine setup to reboot the system at 7am every morning (the carwash is open from 8) the "fault/bug" normally happens after 6/7 hours for me which is fine as i only use it to login and check on the staff while i`m not at work.

you should have some software with your card called "DVP" install this on your machine and you can use that to login to the cctv system and view the system remotely (as long as you have a url setup with dyndns etc etc)without the use of internet explorer, this also gives you much higher screen res (ie version online viewing is degraded)

the later versions allow you to register a name with dvr99.org or something as you can see, but i find that quite a bit of the time dvr99.org will not work (i also took washcam.dvr99.org)

i switched off all firewall settings on my netgear router here at work to allow all traffic and just let the windows firewall sort the rest out.

ps. later versions of the wave-p software are available at WELCOME TO WAVE-P.COM

login from home with the dvp software and you can go back and look at the mornings files, so i could "sleep in" till 10am, then login and view the cams at 8am to make sure the slaves open up on time and such
I have installed the DVP software but cannot figure out how to set it up to veiw it remotely. The cameras are set up at my home but am wanting to view it from work or where ever i am when i travel. I tried to go to dvr99.org but it does not let me do anything.

Last edited by Thomasville; 06 July 2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06 July 2009, 02:16 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I use DYNDNS to auto update the camera PC`s Ip address as a backup plan, apart from that, just make sure the correct ports are open.

I dont use the internet explorer login to view the camers, i much prefer just using my home laptop/desktop machines with the supplied DVP software to login.
Old 06 July 2009, 02:21 PM
Thomasville
Scooby Newbie

So are you saying that i need to install the DVP on my laptop so when i travel i would be able to get in that way?
what would i have to do go in through the IP address to that pc?
Old 06 July 2009, 08:21 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I personally use DVP

the rest of your message i can not work out ?
Old 06 July 2009, 08:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you need one with a built in webserver like this

Gadget-Spot IP Security Cameras: Gadget-Spot NC1000-L10 IP Security Camera, Wired, NC1000-L10

you plug it into the lan side of your router, give it a reserved DHCP IP address then create a NAT rule (port 8080 is best) to expose it on the internet. you can then access it on a browser, like any other website eg http://212.67.98.233:8080 -- (you can set a password on it -- even ACL's -- to avoid having to get a static ip you can, as previous posters said get dDNS -- any other way is madness, do not disable the router firewall
Old 06 July 2009, 08:37 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The wave-p software has a built in http server
and passwords, and user accounts, you can even set up user accounts with various different rights

ie: i have 3 setup on mine

my main admin one with full access
the "second man" at work who is in charge when i am not around, he can access playback and can search and review old footage, he can not access settings
the guest account that can simply login online and view what is happening in real time, nothing else

You can set each account up so it would only access certain cameras if required, for example i could setup the guest account so it could only view the external cams, leaving the internal ones blank, it is a pretty good bit of software and quite user friendly once you get the hang of it.
Old 05 August 2009, 09:09 PM
ctsk8r
Scooby Newbie

Default Wave P BL-1408 DVR Card

I too have this DVR system. I am having issues with it crashing (versions 8.0.0.0 or 8.3.0.0) or version 8.3.1.0 freezing up my system and having to restart the system. I just removed Windows Defender and hope this was the problem. Are you having any issues on your end with the software?
Old 06 August 2009, 08:41 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

None at all, in both my machines, the dedicated work machine has been running none stop for about 3 years now,

Work machine spec

1.2ghz thunderbird athalon cpu
Some random old GFX card that has about 32mb on it and no fan
3 ide hard drives

the dedicated home machine

xp2500 cpu running at 2.2ghz
x1950 agp graphics card
3 hard drives.

both work fine without any issues, we used to use the xp2500 machine as a desktop while it was recording the footage without any problems

I do have my work machine, setup to reboot 1 hour before opening time, as for some reason i can not login remotely to view the files after about 8-10 hours use, but this is not a problem for what i need.
Old 06 August 2009, 08:43 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ps. just logged into my works machine, via my new desktopand i am running v7.4

I have used 7.4 on this new desktop before, and that was fine as well

q6700 quadcore @ 3.3ghz
gtx 275 card @ stock speeds.
sata hard drive

Last edited by StickyMicky; 06 August 2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06 August 2009, 08:54 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Just had a thought, iirc i think my cards are the older versions, i do believe they used the 6800 series software and i don't think the later software works with them, i will try some current software and report back.
Old 06 August 2009, 01:53 PM
ctsk8r
Scooby Newbie

Default Wave P BL-1408 DVR Card

oh ok. I have the new PCI-E card. Do you have an older one like the 9808? I just put the computer system together with Intel Core 2 duo E8400, Gigabyte mobo, Gigabyte Radeon 4650 graphics card w/ 1 GB so system is plenty powerful. I just think it is a video card setting issue possibly or that Windows Defender was interfering. I deleted it Tuesday night and have been running nonstop since. I have not rebooted though. (scared too) :-)

Last edited by ctsk8r; 06 August 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11 August 2009, 02:44 PM
ctsk8r
Scooby Newbie

Default BL-1408

Hi all,

What resolution are you running your cameras in (on the video tab) and what card are you using? It seems I have problems when running any of my 3 cameras in 640x480 res. but no problems in 320x240 mode. Any idea why?

Kevin
Old 11 August 2009, 05:58 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

640x480 although i am not sure that it is actually 640x480 sized, if i remember rightly, i read somewhere that the larger size had a glitch in the past, i think it was one of the release notes on one of the updated software packages.
Old 11 August 2009, 08:00 PM
ctsk8r
Scooby Newbie

Default resolution

screen prints on version 8.3.1.0 for 640x480 come out at 640x240 I was told by WAPA because they are half D1.

For version 8.3.0.0 they will come out full D1 640x480. Seems strange to me why bother with half D1 for a new version?

You have all 8 cameras set to 640x480 with no issues? which software and card do you have?

Overall the quality of the photo doesn't seem much better 640x480 compared to 320x240.

Kevin
Old 12 August 2009, 06:36 PM
ctsk8r
Scooby Newbie

Default 640x480

I also have my FPS set at 30. Someone suggested I set it to 15 FPS. I will try that later. What are you running at for FPS setting?
Old 13 August 2009, 01:18 PM
ctsk8r
Scooby Newbie

Default FPS

Seems like 15 FPS worked and the software did not crash.

However I do not like the half D1 on version 8.3.1.0. I may reload version 8.3.0.0 which is full D1.
Old 02 January 2010, 07:04 PM
sunildollar
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Ghetto Dude3

what version is it?

>>>>>>>>>>>>> hi I did setup dyn updater. i can see that on my own ip but I can't see defferent from defferent copmputer. how I am goona set linksys router. can yo please help me to forworf the port.

thanks