Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

utorrent and trojan

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2007, 10:23 AM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default utorrent and trojan

i downloaded utorrent and my aol spyware blocker told me that it has blocked a trojan from utorrent

should i be worried?

i have stayed away from fileshare/p2p as i was never convinced about my pc safety/security. will i get more of this once i've forwarded my port and start downloading?

cheers

colin
Old 10 November 2007, 11:04 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

without a doubt, the more you use file sharing, the more exposure you are going to have to security issues. The prime issue will be the files you download, if you don't trust the source then they could contain anything.

If you install port forwarding the people can see your pc and attack the particular port you forwarded. So long as the application using that port is ok (utorrent is) then you should be fine.

Make sure you download utorrent from somewhere reputable to avoid getting a dodgy version.
Old 10 November 2007, 02:17 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

download Utorrent from here µTorrent - The Lightweight and Efficient BitTorrent Client or try uTorrent

but as Luminous said it's the files you download (i always scan them after downloading and befor i open them)
Old 10 November 2007, 07:26 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Had the same issues, asked a friend in the know and he told me to use bitcomet as my torrent downloader, did so and 18 months later have had zero security issues with it! Something to do with the way they use the ports or something?
Old 10 November 2007, 08:58 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Bit comet!? that links you to adware infested sites the last time i used it. The in client browser will let you link to search sites that are infected with all sorts of carp.
Old 10 November 2007, 09:42 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Bit comet!? that links you to adware infested sites the last time i used it. The in client browser will let you link to search sites that are infected with all sorts of carp.

Possibly, I never use the in client search! I always use mininova for searching, and bitcomet for downloading, and have never, ever had a problem.
Old 10 November 2007, 09:53 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Thats cool I never had a problem with uTorrent. I've used that for ages. Also used Azureus, but found that a bit resource hungry.