Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Trojan Moo

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2005, 09:44 AM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Trojan Moo

Whilst surfing this morning Norton told an intrusion has been attempted by someone and it had blocked it. However it then immediately told me a Trojan Moo was on my system. I think (blind panic when it came up) it said it couldn't delete. After some moments of panic I asked the full Norton security system to do a virus check hoping it would hunt this 'Trojan Moo' out and delete it. The system scan showed nothing and said everything was ok. I then when to the Systemec (somthing like that) security page and it advises i have to go into safe mode and re-scan etc - its all getting a bit too complicated for a simple person like me!!!

Can someone offer some advice as to how I check this trojan has been squashed, or can I trust the Norton system virus scan to have ensured its gone? I'm running windows XP and Norton Internet Security 2004.

Kevin (worried!)
Old 15 May 2005, 12:16 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

btt
Old 15 May 2005, 01:09 PM
Stevie.p
Scooby Regular

Cool

HULK

The same thing happened to me last week i am the same as you i have McFEE security installed on my computer and i have only had it for a couple of months.Box pops up TROJAN deployed .

I went into a blind panic ran a virus check it found the files and i then deleted them thinking cool problem sorted phew! .

Oh wrong could i have been i then restarted my system and lost the whole lot.Headless chicken syndrome then kicked in tried to reboot system with cd's provided no luck i then resorted to calling the computer company DELL and they then went through the whole reboot from start to finish they were quality problem is now sorted i still don't know what a TROJAN is but job sorted thankfully !!

Once again a BIG THANK YOU to the people at the DELL help desk !!
Old 16 May 2005, 12:35 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevie.p
HULK

The same thing happened to me last week i am the same as you i have McFEE security installed on my computer and i have only had it for a couple of months.Box pops up TROJAN deployed .

I went into a blind panic ran a virus check it found the files and i then deleted them thinking cool problem sorted phew! .

Oh wrong could i have been i then restarted my system and lost the whole lot.Headless chicken syndrome then kicked in tried to reboot system with cd's provided no luck i then resorted to calling the computer company DELL and they then went through the whole reboot from start to finish they were quality problem is now sorted i still don't know what a TROJAN is but job sorted thankfully !!

Once again a BIG THANK YOU to the people at the DELL help desk !!
Lucky. A Trojan is a program designed to let people connect to your PC via the internet. It comes from the term Trojan Horse from Greek Mythology.

Trojan programs have been around for years. They basically allow hackers entry via your PC by announcing where you are on the Internet. This allows the hacker to gain access to files on your PC.

This is where a decent Anti-Virus and Firewall software/hardware come into place to stop this.

The Anti-virus software is only useful if you keep it up-to-date.
Old 16 May 2005, 08:56 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Also scan your PC with a decent spyware / trojan detector. The best I've found at the moment is the one from Emco - it is free and will work very quickly. Total scan in about 30 secs. This program has picked up things missed by every other spyware software I've used (incl Spybot, Adaware, MS Anti Spyware etc)

Chris