Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Win 32 trojan virus removal ???

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2004, 11:12 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Win 32 trojan virus removal ???

Help !!!

having always used my norton a/v to do my twice weekly virus scanns, was having a look around the net tonight and carried out an online virus check with the use off the RAV site, was totally shocked to find out that despite carrying out a norton a/v update / scann only a few days ago that this little nasty was detected amongst the scan :

c:\windows\system\wmscrop.exe-trojan:win32/startpage.au2.dam#2->infected

believe from what I read on this site it was telling me that this online scanning detection programme would not be able to remove trojan, etc type virus, so what now ??

also, what are the likely effects of this trojan on my pc ?? to be honest dont notice anything different whilst using the pc, so what has it likely done and please advise me where to go online to remove it ??!!

lastly !!! any ideas why my norton a/v would not have detected this trojan on my pc and yet this other free to use RAV online one detected it straight away ??

any help on any off the above would certainly be much appreciatted folks, am a complete pc novice and this trojan virus alert has kinda spooked me a little, as to what I have got on my pc now - is it serious ??!!

cheers,
john...
Old 30 May 2004, 07:03 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

get rid of it as it wont be long before your pc is crashing and hanging, get the removal tool from symatec solutions web site and use it, you will have to disable system restore if you are using winxp as it wont remove it with that running
Old 30 May 2004, 09:15 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
get rid of it as it wont be long before your pc is crashing and hanging, get the removal tool from symatec solutions web site and use it, you will have to disable system restore if you are using winxp as it wont remove it with that running
HI mate , thanks for your quick reply regards this w33 trojan virus that I have managed to pick up on my pc, okay have gone onto the symatec solutions website that you kindly recommended, but unfortunately dont see the exact named w32 removal tool for the one I have, which I take it from the file detected address was w32/startpage ?? plenty off other w32 variants but not this version ??!!!

any further help folks ?? wouldnt mind getting this thing removed asap.

cheers,
john

p.s sorry should have mentioned in my initial post that its w98 I am using here.
Old 30 May 2004, 09:53 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Not got a lot of time now as going out.... here is your virus explained. http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/****...startpaau.html

Try downloading evaluation of Sophos Anti Virus and the current IDES then run Sophos scan and follow instructions for removal. If you get stuck - I will be back later. Also de-activate Norton while you download it.
Old 30 May 2004, 02:09 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

You could also try downloading Ad-Aware or Search and Destroy to remove it

Its a hijack of your internet explorer changing your home page by the looks of it
Old 31 May 2004, 09:01 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

sounds like an infect with CWS

its a trojan hijacker

if you do a search for browser hijackers, you will find a proggy called

cws shredder run it and have a look

its the cause of many a problem

Mart