Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Virgin Media shoit 10mb internet joke.

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2007, 09:21 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Virgin Media shoit 10mb internet joke.

"£$^&£$ had enough now... £35 a month and its crap, its always on but sh!te... tonight its running at 750kbps... even there own site is slow...
Thats it soon as i can get around to ordering a BT land line then the lot is getting ditched... £1200 per year for two phone lines TV and internet and its all crap... sick of watching the same thing on EVERY channel its just all repeats...
first task is sack the lot get free view, get a BT line and get the quickest broadband DSL i can...
Aggrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 07 November 2007, 09:50 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

£35/month = 20mb iirc actually £37/month now. Agree that it's a joke tonight. Just done a test and am getting faster upload than download! 628k down 717k up, now that is pathetic. Assuming they have network problems....
Old 07 November 2007, 11:43 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been ****e all week and no mention on the server status page, mostly been getting 50-100k download during the evening as opposed to the 2200k i should be getting on 20meg, and i tried halo 3 co-op the other night which was virtually unplayable due to the jerkiness lagging. never was this bad under ntl's leadership.
Old 07 November 2007, 11:48 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bob269
Its been ****e all week and no mention on the server status page, mostly been getting 50-100k download during the evening as opposed to the 2200k i should be getting on 20meg, and i tried halo 3 co-op the other night which was virtually unplayable due to the jerkiness lagging. never was this bad under ntl's leadership.
Its the same network mate... Being VM has nothing to do with it.

If you want me to help PM me. I need something for me to find your account.

If not thats fine, there are a few people on here who will tell you I have helped them.

BTW I'm Not in till Friday..
Old 07 November 2007, 11:48 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Vote with your feet
Old 07 November 2007, 11:51 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Its the same network mate... Being VM has nothing to do with it.

If you want me to help PM me. I need something for me to find your account.

If not thats fine, there are a few people on here who will tell you I have helped them.

BTW I'm Not in till Friday..
I know the network infrastructures the same, but with any takeover they bring with them great cost cutting ideas which results in crap service for the customer.
Old 07 November 2007, 11:53 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Phone them up and ask for a reduction in your bill, and continue every three months Unless you decide to jump of course.
Old 08 November 2007, 12:05 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Just to put this in perspective, my brother lives just down the road from me and has BT broadband (ADSL max). He's only getting around 0.2Mb, whereas I'm on VM cable, and getting a steady 20Mb.

The grass isn't always greener. I'd ring them up and find out what on earth is wrong. Are there any network faults reported in your area?
Old 08 November 2007, 12:41 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
I know the network infrastructures the same, but with any takeover they bring with them great cost cutting ideas which results in crap service for the customer.
Certainly but not network side they haven't, the upgrades have been much better since VM!

The only possible thing would be the 20Mb upgrade but NTL/Telewest would have done that too
Old 08 November 2007, 07:12 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

For balance - I'm with VM, have 20meg and am ok with it.
Get hit by the cap occasionaly which is fair enough (it's still 5+ meg even when capped), traffic fluctuates a bit in the evening as does every service with any kind of contention.

Never had one dropped connection in nearly three years. Upgrades, downgrades and phone problems handled reasonably.
TV service is fine, not perfect but absolutely fine.

Forums are filled with people saying how bad things are so this is just a post to say mine is ok.

And the best thing - those ****ers at BT don't get a penny from me
Old 08 November 2007, 09:02 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
For balance - I'm with VM, have 20meg and am ok with it.
Get hit by the cap occasionaly which is fair enough (it's still 5+ meg even when capped), traffic fluctuates a bit in the evening as does every service with any kind of contention.

Never had one dropped connection in nearly three years. Upgrades, downgrades and phone problems handled reasonably.
TV service is fine, not perfect but absolutely fine.

Forums are filled with people saying how bad things are so this is just a post to say mine is ok.

And the best thing - those ****ers at BT don't get a penny from me
No one complains when its all working mate. VM have over 3 million subscribers... the complaining comes from something like 1%
Old 08 November 2007, 07:35 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

My 2mb is great online...
Old 09 November 2007, 09:15 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I have the 4mb package, was with NTL for ages and the only problems I've ever had was when NTL switched over to Virgin. Other than hitting the download cap and getting the speed halved the service has been fine.
Old 09 November 2007, 10:55 AM
djuk
Scooby Regular

I have the 20mb VM cable and can't rate the service highly enough. Now the problem comes when they actually have to charge you for it - I've been overcharged 3 months in a row now and nobody can do anything about it so it's cancel direct debit time this month.
Old 09 November 2007, 11:14 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Past few days this week on VM have been iffy. Severe latency issues and server time outs.

Reset the modem, and it usually pokes it back into life

Ok today though
Old 09 November 2007, 07:26 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Past few days this week on VM have been iffy. Severe latency issues and server time outs.

Reset the modem, and it usually pokes it back into life

Ok today though

Yes I've had a few problems this week with my VM broadband - up to this week it's been very reliable.
Old 09 November 2007, 08:15 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Anybody got falkey BB tonight?

I'm barely hitting 30kbs on upload!
Old 09 November 2007, 08:56 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

virgin always seems good to me ! I always get 20mb downloads on newgroups everytime

Old 10 November 2007, 06:25 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

I'm not even sure if i'm supposed to be on 20mb I live less than a milke from the centre of wakefield, so if i switched to BE on DSl then should be able to get 20mb... I'm paying the £37 so i would have thought it would be 20mb... or doesn't it work like that? pimmo can u tell mate i know your quite helpfull in there... nj014b5640 ???

Wow pushing the bounderies tonight... :-)
Old 10 November 2007, 09:28 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

and at 21:30

great.
Old 10 November 2007, 10:23 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Wow that is crap; even if you hit the traffic management (cough download limit) it shouldn't be that slow

Presuming your on cable (seeing VM now do it via ADSL too): Check out what your modem's signal is like:

Punch in "192.168.100.1" into your browser adddress and click the signal tab.

Here's a quick guide:

Downstream SNR: should be 30 dB or higher: the higher the better. As the SNR decreases below 30 dB, performance will steadily decrease, and errors will increase. The cable modem might stop working properly if the SNR drops below 23.5 dB.

Downstream power level (Receive): -15dbmV to +15dbmV
A value of -15 or worse indicates a poor downstream signal path. A tech would aim for a value close to the optimal 0 dBmV, but a good cable modem should be capable of working within the broader range of -15 to +15 dBmV, provided the downstream Signal to Noise Ratio remains good enough.

Upstream (Transmit): +25dbmV to +55dbmV.
A value within the range +25 to +55 dBmV is within spec with 40's the most common. The lower this figure is, the better the upstream path to the UBR. If the cable modem is going offline, and the upstream signal strength is at +58dBmV, then a poor upstream path is probably the problem.

If any of them are out of spec, you need to get a cable guy out to tweek the box down at the bottom of your road
Old 11 November 2007, 12:32 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Wow that is crap; even if you hit the traffic management (cough download limit) it shouldn't be that slow
One thing virgin missed out of their traffic managment tc was you don't actually get reduced to 1/2 speed, you get capped to 500k or approx 5meg.
Old 11 November 2007, 06:17 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Presuming your on cable (seeing VM now do it via ADSL too): Check out what your modem's signal is like:

Punch in "192.168.100.1" into your browser adddress and click the signal tab.

Here's a quick guide:

Downstream SNR: should be 30 dB or higher: the higher the better. As the SNR decreases below 30 dB, performance will steadily decrease, and errors will increase. The cable modem might stop working properly if the SNR drops below 23.5 dB.

Downstream power level (Receive): -15dbmV to +15dbmV
A value of -15 or worse indicates a poor downstream signal path. A tech would aim for a value close to the optimal 0 dBmV, but a good cable modem should be capable of working within the broader range of -15 to +15 dBmV, provided the downstream Signal to Noise Ratio remains good enough.

Upstream (Transmit): +25dbmV to +55dbmV.
A value within the range +25 to +55 dBmV is within spec with 40's the most common. The lower this figure is, the better the upstream path to the UBR. If the cable modem is going offline, and the upstream signal strength is at +58dBmV, then a poor upstream path is probably the problem.

If any of them are out of spec, you need to get a cable guy out to tweek the box down at the bottom of your road
Not always true, many modems still run find outside the guide lines.

The down stream power is between -12 and 12 not 15 btw.

Also a tech can resolve a lot of issues at the customers home rather than the cabs at the end of the street, most cases a service tech will be needed for the house, who will pass it over to a network tech if the box is ****ed.

You're also talking about an Ex telewest modem, NTL are slightly different and dont tend to bother even looking into the config pages.
Old 11 November 2007, 06:21 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
"£$^&£$ had enough now... £35 a month and its crap, its always on but sh!te... tonight its running at 750kbps... even there own site is slow...
Thats it soon as i can get around to ordering a BT land line then the lot is getting ditched... £1200 per year for two phone lines TV and internet and its all crap... sick of watching the same thing on EVERY channel its just all repeats...
first task is sack the lot get free view, get a BT line and get the quickest broadband DSL i can...
Aggrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Clear you private messages

Hi

I need one of a few things if you want me to help you.
Either, your account number and first name, your address including post code or the most useless one to someone who doesnt work for VM the MAC address from the back of the modem.

Supply and I shall look into your slow speed issue.

Last edited by pimmo2000; 11 November 2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11 November 2007, 09:25 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Clear you private messages

Hi

I need one of a few things if you want me to help you.
Either, your account number and first name, your address including post code or the most useless one to someone who doesnt work for VM the MAC address from the back of the modem.

Supply and I shall look into your slow speed issue.

Mark

Cheer mark, cleared out my PM stash...
will get the mac of the unit.

Here's some info

Frequency 331000000 Hz Locked Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB Power Level 8 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading Upstream Value Channel ID 2 Frequency 29200000 Hz Ranged Power Level 41 dBmV

Last edited by Dazza's-STi; 12 November 2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11 November 2007, 11:53 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I would that post if I were you, someone could clone your modem using that and knock you offline.

I'm off tomorrow but will look for you on Tuesday !

I'll let you know

Be great if you could remove my name too please
Old 12 November 2007, 12:42 PM
aqua
Scooby Regular

Post Virgin Media and its ADSL broadband problems

There is some official comment at the following website.

thinkbroadband :: Virgin Media and its ADSL broadband problems
Old 12 November 2007, 03:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by aqua
There is some official comment at the following website.

thinkbroadband :: Virgin Media and its ADSL broadband problems
Daz has an issue with Cable not ADSL matey
Old 12 November 2007, 10:14 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Done two tests tonight one through the router and one directly connected to the Cable modem... I'm a Cisco chappy so was a bit pissed off to find the router affects the speed, I'm used to Cisco gear and it doesn't the crappy netgear thing i have does, but only by a bit as it turns out... hense the test tonight...
with the router 1.7mb without and directly connected..

still poop....

Hopefully with pimmo's help, i might get to the bottom of the problem...

Just a note on the router thing , even though I've done a fair few cisco exams i didn't know a broadband router would affect the service so much, I only found out early this year... so if your having probs, try taking the router out of the loop. I swapped mine as the old one was really crap...
Old 13 November 2007, 06:36 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Done two tests tonight one through the router and one directly connected to the Cable modem... I'm a Cisco chappy so was a bit pissed off to find the router affects the speed, I'm used to Cisco gear and it doesn't the crappy netgear thing i have does, but only by a bit as it turns out... hense the test tonight...
with the router 1.7mb without and directly connected..

still poop....

Hopefully with pimmo's help, i might get to the bottom of the problem...

Just a note on the router thing , even though I've done a fair few cisco exams i didn't know a broadband router would affect the service so much, I only found out early this year... so if your having probs, try taking the router out of the loop. I swapped mine as the old one was really crap...
The tech support at VM tell every customer this and no one believes them on way to work in a bit so will see what I can find !

Quick Reply: Virgin Media shoit 10mb internet joke.