Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

WPA / WPA2 Wireless Problem with Vista

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2007, 10:40 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WPA / WPA2 Wireless Problem with Vista

I've been trying to get Vista Home Premium on a HP laptop to talk to a Belkin Wireless router. Works fine with no security but after I've set the router to WPA/WPA2 the laptop won't automatically connect correctly. It identifies the SSID but the little icon thing in the task tray gets stuck saying "Identifying Network". If I open the wireless network settings on the laptop and change from WPA Personal to WPA2 Personal it connects fine. When I reboot it fails again and to get it working I repeat the process of changing the wireless settings to WPA Personal. And the cycle goes on.

Anybody know a solution?

TIA Pete
Old 07 November 2007, 02:04 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Welcome to wonderous mysteries of Vista & Wireless

I dont think anyone has been able to fathom out how it works, it ether does or doesnt, and no real inbetween

We have been having a nightmare with Vista & Wireless, and none of the Manufacturers or Microsoft will assist or take any kind of responsibily either
Old 07 November 2007, 02:35 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

LOL - I was getting that impression from trying to Google a solution. I've now discovered I only need to toggle the encryption between AES and TKIP, saves having to type in the passphrase each time
Old 08 November 2007, 09:28 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

It works fine for me with my laptop running Vista Ultimate and an intel wireless chipset. You just need to make sure you're using the personal type of WPA which uses TKIP, rather than the other type which is more complicated and needs something extra like a key server or something.

I think it's WPA-PSK on my router, the mode I use. And it works great.
Old 08 November 2007, 10:56 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback. My understanding is the router calls it WPA-PSK and Vista calls it WPA-Personal. On top of that you have the choice of AES (also called CCMP by M$) or TKIP encryption.

Stupid thing is that from one shutdown / hibernate to the next the same settings do not work. Change the settings, which causes a full closure and reconnection, and it works again. Next reboot it fails. Go back to previous settings and it works again. Reboot it fails, use 2nd set and it works; reboot it fails, first set of settings again work. Silly system, I'm getting dizzy
Old 09 November 2007, 07:03 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Ive used an Intel 2945, 3945 and a 4495 and the Atheros Wifi Card all in Toshiba Laptops

We have 250 Satellite Pro L40's and 120 A-200's

half the A-200's work fine, none of the L40's work apart from 2 of them

Toshiba have been working closely with me on the issues and still cant come up with a solution

I have sent them a 3com WX1200 Wireless Controller which Toshiba have managed to Blow up !!!!

Still no proper resolve at the moment other than hacking Vista to use the XP drivers
Old 09 November 2007, 07:59 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Staggered! I've given the machine back to the owner now with the swap encryption work around. Makes me glad I haven't made the jump yet.