Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ebay, question about European spec electronics being sold in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2007, 06:08 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay, question about European spec electronics being sold in the UK

During the week i bought an external DVD burner from an Ebay seller with a good rating, its an LG external DVD burner. The item was described as new.

The box arrived yesterday, it looks a genuine box but it isn`t plastic sealed as you would expect from something new, thats no prob anyway.

What does bother me a bit is the item was described with a 1 year warranty, the warranty piece of paper thats in the box looks like its written in Spanish so its virtually impossible to know what you write where etc. Also another thing inside is an obvious photocopy of an original set up instruction, not a genuine document.

I had a look on the LG site and the model thats been sent to me isn`t available to the UK market, on the country search on the LG site i could only find this model available to the spanish market.

Will their be any issues with power as i`m sure Spain and most european countries work on a different voltage system to us ?

Also what i did find a bit odd is their is no actual printed manual in the box, the only manual that comes with this burner is on a disc that also has nero express on it and you have to view the manual in Adobe reader which as you know can be a pain when its multiple pages. I can`t say i have ever bought an electronic product that didn`t come with an actual owners manual thats in print.

Ive not powered it up yet with it being a model that was made for the spanish market, its a bit odd really as the writing on the box is in English but a lot of the writing inside on things like the warranty etc is in Spanish plus this model isn`t available to our country as its just available to Spain, anyone got an opinion ?

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 03 November 2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03 November 2007, 07:54 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

No issues really, we're all on the same voltage. That's why these days the voltage is quoted as 230v instead of 240v. So that we're 'Harmonised' with europe. It's also why we've changed our wiring colour scheme in the UK to brown and blue. The only potential problem is possibly the plug fitment, since Spain uses a different plug to us. If it's come with a UK style 3 pin plug, then there shouldn't be a problem at all from a power point of view.
Warranty wise, it depends on the manufacturer. Some manufacturers offer a woldwide warranty, some don't.

For instance, I got my Nikon D200 and a lens from Hong Kong. Nikon offer a worldwide warranty on lenses, but not camera bodies.

Last edited by John@TunerUK; 03 November 2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03 November 2007, 10:49 PM
Tart Man
Scooby Regular

Location: Custard, Strawberry, Apple, Blonde, Brunette...its all good!

You'd be supirsed at what companies are putting product manuals on CDs instead of booklets. Especially computer related products.

I'm not saying that this is what it should be in this case, but it is getting more and more common (and highly annoying).

My camera has no hard-copy manual, neither my printer, nor my MP3 player - its all on disc.
Old 04 November 2007, 01:05 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tart Man
You'd be supirsed at what companies are putting product manuals on CDs instead of booklets. Especially computer related products.

I'm not saying that this is what it should be in this case, but it is getting more and more common (and highly annoying).

My camera has no hard-copy manual, neither my printer, nor my MP3 player - its all on disc.
They'll say it's to save the environment which maybe true, but basically it's to save costs their end.
Old 04 November 2007, 10:55 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with that IMHO, the menual is something that only ever gets read once, if that, and then it sits there taking up space on the shelf.

Selling a Spanish market product without mentioning it in advance is a bit cheeky but there's nothing inherently wrong with it - both countries use 230V mains, both accept the same safety and radio interference standards - it's one of the few nice things to come out of the EU.
Old 05 November 2007, 04:16 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

After looking at the warranty more closely i have found out its wrtten in Italian as opposed to Spanish, can`t say i am that familiar with either language in a fluent way lol

Their is a small line written in english that says exactly this "Warranty card only valid for the italian market", like i said above this seller on ebay said in his item description that the product is new and comes with a 1 year warranty.

I contacted the seller and he said the warranty is with him as they can return faulty items back to the manufacturer, it just seems a bit odd to me that you buy a brand new product from a leading manufacturer and the warranty is not directly with you as its with the 3rd party.
Old 05 November 2007, 04:30 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

It's the same with my Nikon body. I have to return it to them to make a claim. But then, if you can't be arsed, there's always house insurance. You know, from when you knocked it off the tv stand.... by mistake....... when the dog tripped you up...........
Old 05 November 2007, 04:37 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John@TunerUK
It's the same with my Nikon body. I have to return it to them to make a claim. But then, if you can't be arsed, there's always house insurance. You know, from when you knocked it off the tv stand.... by mistake....... when the dog tripped you up...........
Yeh that sounds like the best way in your case if the thing did go pear shaped, far easier and less hassle as well

It doesn`t matter so much for me as were only talking of £45 here, it seems ok to be fair and its from a decent manufacturer so touch wood it stays in good working order.