Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Printer spares

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2007, 07:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Printer spares

Some time ago, I bought a new printhead for my canon i250 from Tonik. Unfortunately, they no longer sell them and I'm in need of another.

All I can find is printheads priced at around £48 to £50, whereas in the USA, they are $35, or less than £17.

Anyone know where I can source a cheap one over here, before I risk buying from the States?

Alcazar TIA
Old 03 November 2007, 12:34 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a replacement head for my Canon i9950 from 'ukrepair' on eBay for a good price...

...they've got heads for the i250 for £27.60 inc delivery:

Find Genuine Canon Printhead QY6-0044 for BJ-I250/320/350 on eBay within, Cleaning Repair Kits, Printer Paper Accessories, Computing (end time 14-Nov-07 08:48:45 GMT)

HTH

DN
Old 03 November 2007, 12:41 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add...

Since purchasing my replacement head I've had great success in properly cleaning the 'old' one by soaking it overnight in warm/hot water and using a small syringe (the sort you get with cartridge refill kits) with a about 1cm of silicone tubing attached to blast water through the heads (the tubing fits over the ink 'pads' and forms a perfect seal between head and syringe, then you just squirt water through using the syringe and it sprays out of the head nozzels. Works well...)

May be worth a try before spending money on more heads (and I'm sure you're as convinced as I am that Canon see these damn expensive heads as consumables - my i9950 one lists at about £100 and ukrepair had one for £68 - so think yourself lucky! I've had one fail completely and one very well blocked - which I've now rescued...)

It's worth printing a print-sample every day if you can, just to keep ink flowing through the heads properly. These clever devices have timers in them and go through various different cleaning processes depending on how long they've been idle for - which can use lots of ink - so use a small amount every day and keep it all working smoothly...

DN
Old 03 November 2007, 07:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I "may" be OK now, as I cleaned it out last nite using meths

Stank the kitchen out, but it works again, so hey ho!

Thanks for the input, I too feel that Canon think they're onto a good thing: my "used ink tank" was supposedly full, so the printer stopped printing. Even if you empty it and clean out all the pads, Canon still wanted £49 to reset it.

I did it with the help of Google for nowt.

Canon: Robbers.

Alcazar