Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet connection sharing question

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2007, 08:34 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Internet connection sharing question

Hi

My first request for help on here!

My partner's office has two pcs on a wired network, sharing the same broadband connection. The pcs are used for things like accounts and payroll so while they share files between them, they wouldn't want another user to have access. There is no server, and both pcs use XP.

They now want to add a guy in the next office onto the broadband connection.

My question is - how can this be done without letting him 'see' the confidential files on their pcs? As far as I can see file sharing is either on or off, across the whole network?

I know you guys will be able to give good advice and look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Pete The Biker
Old 31 October 2007, 09:08 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Whenever I attempt to connect to an XP PC across the network I'm asked to enter a username and password, without this I cannot access anything on the PC. I'm going to guess this is quite possibly what will be seen if another machine is added to the network and they try to access either of the 2 XP machines, thus they should not see anything they should not unless they explicitly enter correct login details.

A very simple test is to do the above, plug in another PC to the network and have a look in Windows Explorer at the Windows Network listing to see what, if anything is listed there. At a guess you'd see the other PC's, at which point, simply try and connect to either of them, and see what happens. If you get on then it would sound as though guest access is enabled and you'd probably want to turn that off.
Old 31 October 2007, 10:38 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would personally setup it up as a server with user log ons. If the files are important !! Keep them safe ! Think into the future, will more PCs be added? if so a Cheap PC as a server and build from there !
Old 01 November 2007, 08:21 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments guys.

I would tend to agree with Pimmo that a server would be the 'correct' solution but I think my partner's employers would find that a bit over the top.....

I will try Markus' suggestion when I am next at the office.

In the meantime, has anyone else got any other ideas?

Pete The Biker
Old 02 November 2007, 11:32 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I am not security expert, but this is my current understanding.

Windows XP itself has two modes:

1) Simple file sharing. Here you select a folder on your computer, right click, go to the sharing tab, and then select share. This folder will then be reported as being available to any machine that connects to your PC. There is an additional box to tick if you want those who connect to be able to change/delete or add files to that folder.

Anyone who is on your network has access to these files, without a password request.

2) Non simple file sharing (I forget the proper name). This is where simple file sharing is specifically disabled. Here when you decide to share a folder, you decide who to give access to. You need accounts setup on your machine for who you are going to give access. Each account has its own password and its own restrictions.

This is the mode you need for your situation. I've not fiddled around with this mode much as we have no need to use it. It also causes some incompatibilities with some of the software I run.

How to Enable or Disable Simple File Sharing in Windows XP

There are other options, one was mentioned above as having a file server. There are also some software applications that are available. These attempt to simplify the process and have some pretty windows for you to look at. In my opinion they offer little more than option 2), but cost you money.

Last edited by Luminous; 02 November 2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03 November 2007, 12:30 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
2) Non simple file sharing (I forget the proper name). .
The classic OSI security model IIRC, in this case would you could do is make an identical user account with the same password with the machine that has the files (as the pc the user normally logs on with) then the user won't be prompted for the password when he accesses the share.....er IIRC, give that account limited access so he can only access that share on the machine

it may work better if you make the user a guest on the machine so he cant log in locally to the machine also (right click my computer > manage > local users and groups). I'd have to double check that though

oh and yes for best practise....do as Pimmo said
Old 08 November 2007, 08:20 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your help guys - I will have a play.......

Pete The Biker