Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Why are modern printers so sh!t?

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2007, 05:21 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why are modern printers so ****?

I've got a HP Deskjet printer attached to my machine, all I want to do is cancel a print that I sent by mistake
Why bother having a delete print function on the software if all it does is **** the printer and the computer up?
And why don't the ******* things have 'off' buttons anymore? Even pulling the ******* thing's plug doesn't clear it's memory

I've never liked Hewlett Packards products, and every encounter I have with them only reinforces my contempt

OK Rant over

Move along, there's nothing to see here
Old 27 October 2007, 11:44 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its the on board memory now thats the issue, it loads the print queue and off it goes.. its even more annoying when its expensive ink and it wont stop printing the 300 page photo LOL
Old 27 October 2007, 03:48 PM
Tart Man
Scooby Regular

Location: Custard, Strawberry, Apple, Blonde, Brunette...its all good!

Yup Printer buffer.

Back in the day, if one tried stopping the printing there was no cancel option on the computer.

So one hastily presses the off-line button on the printer. Which is fine, apart from the buffer is full of information, pressing again resumes print. So you have to pull the power on the printer.

Switching it off clears the buffer, but because the printing cannot be cancelled from the computer, its still being being fed data. This result is the printer printing jargon when teh power is switched back on.... huge pages of it.

Things have progessed a bit since, not by much though.

I have a 25ppm Laser, trying to stop that thing spitting out pages is a nightmare. The only way is to pull out the paper. Wait for the printer to throw a hissy fit. Pause printing in the print queue in Windows. Cancel the job. Then go to the printer, sift through the menu 'til I find the "cancel job" option, slect it it, wait, do it again, sigh, turn off power, turn on, wait for the warm up, pray the buffer is now empty, the put the paper back in, then get back to work.

What ever happened to the supposed "paperless office" of the future, eh?
Old 27 October 2007, 07:23 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tart Man
What ever happened to the supposed "paperless office" of the future, eh?
Paperless office temporarily arrived a few years ago for me. Office colleague got so pissed off with our crappie printer he actually put it through the window.

Still, the window was cracked and due for replacement anyway
Old 28 October 2007, 10:44 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

So it's not just me then? With computers it usually is

Been there done that with a dot matrix printer Luminous There was nothing wrong with it, it was just noisy and p!ssing everybody in the office off, but our cheapskate boss wouldn't buy a new one So one day when he was out I hoiked it out of the office window (2nd floor) and phoned him up to tell him it had stopped working and there was no way that we could get it going again