Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop internet connection

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2007, 01:48 AM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Laptop internet connection

Girlfriend has a new laptop from work and brought home her new internet connection sim card thingy tonight.
Now i'll admit I know nothing bout wi-fi or laptops for that matter but how does it all work?
I have a normal pc upstairs running through a BT router as far as im aware there is no wireless card in the computer but I could be wrong about that, I would have thought that there should be some ariel sticking outta the back of the home pc somewhere and if thats the case then there isnt.
So whats the crack
Old 25 October 2007, 11:34 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scousefly
Girlfriend has a new laptop from work and brought home her new internet connection sim card thingy tonight.
Now i'll admit I know nothing bout wi-fi or laptops for that matter but how does it all work?
I have a normal pc upstairs running through a BT router as far as im aware there is no wireless card in the computer but I could be wrong about that, I would have thought that there should be some ariel sticking outta the back of the home pc somewhere and if thats the case then there isnt.
So whats the crack

I dont know what a Internet Sim thing is ?

The card will pick up a signal much like a radio picks up radio waves. The sign should come from the Home Hub and not the PC, setting the PC up as a wireless "server" is a pain. Assuming it is a BT home hub.

Doe the BT thing have an ariel ? if not it might not be a wireless router in which case you would need to buy one !