Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mini PC options

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2007, 06:01 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini PC options

Hi all, I'm currently on the look out for a client.
They're after small PC's to act as front ends to distribute media around the house using MythTV. Some will be on show, so will need to be attractive and quiet, but some can be hidden behind screens.
So far the AOpen Mini PC seems to fit the bill, but it's a bit pricey.
Are there any cheaper alternatives?
Old 20 October 2007, 06:24 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

It'll run Windoze if you must, but with Apple Frontrow and a few other apps along with Elgato EyeTV why bother. Starts at £399 ! Dearer than the PC, but oh so much better (IMHO).
Old 20 October 2007, 06:51 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

All I actually want it to run is Linux Fedora 7, as MythTV runs on Linux.
For that reason an nVidia display chipset is preferable, as they're well supported by Linux. failing that an ATI.
DVI/HDMI output is essential as is SPDIF optical output.
At least one USB port for an IR remote receiver, preferably 2 though as the ability to plug in bluetooth would be handy.
TV out isn't essential, but would be a nice option.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that a lot of the Mac hardware isn't supported. It certainly looks the part though, so if it does, the price is acceptable.

*EDIT*
Just read up a bit on it, and it does seem to come with an ATI card, it deffinately has optical out, and it has enough USB inputs. Hmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by John@TunerUK; 20 October 2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 20 October 2007, 07:01 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Don't know about Myth, but maybe it works when running either Windoze or Linux with Parallels or BootCamp In Max OSX Elgato EyeTV will give you DVB with recording, pause/rewind live TV, editing etc. They ship with an IR remote and have DVI as well as optical digitl audio out. IIRC they have 4x USB and 2x Firewire. The internal Mat$h!ta DVD drives are firmware flashable to RPC1 for multi-region DVD playback.

There's a massive thread over on AV Forums about using them as a media server. I'm about ready to buy in as the new 10.5 Leopard OS is out next week.

OS X Media Centre & HD Video - AVForums

Mac mini media setup - AVForums
Old 20 October 2007, 07:26 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

The idea behind MythTV is that you have a well specced backend doing all the work, and feeding the front ends with media.
TV, Music, Transcoded DVD's etc. Your frontend needs only the bare minimum required to connect to the backends database, and request the media from there.

So basically I'd be looking at removing any Macc OS and installing Linux instead.