Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Hooking up my laptop to the net

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2007, 01:25 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up my laptop to the net

Maybe I've missed something obvious but I cant seem to get my Dell laptop on the internet. I've unplugged my base station and plugged it in, turned off the modem and then back on again and it still wont work It also picks up a wireless connection as well from somewhere, its shows that the signal is excellent but internet explorer still won't have it.

I ordered a virgin start up disc and for some reason that won't load up, any ideas as its driving me mad
Old 20 October 2007, 01:57 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

are you trying to connect to a wireless router?

is there any security on the router?

What model is the router?
Old 20 October 2007, 02:14 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I have bought a wireless router. Its a 802.11b model number WLB-2203/A, not sure about security although I haven't got that far with it yet as I'm sure I need another cable to get it set up right

The HP base works fine on the net. I basically unplugged it from my HP turned the modem off/on, plugged it into my Dell laptop hoping and expecting it to work. Nothing at all and IE wont open up...

I tried a Virgin start up disc in the Dell and for some reason it wont see the process through.

Not sure if I've explained that in the right terminolgy as I'm not really to familiar with PC's
Old 20 October 2007, 02:28 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Have you input your username and password into the outer, and setup the network specific settings?

*if not which bb provider do you use - i assume virgin adsl? (via phonesocket)*

if yes, can you connect with a lan cable plugged in?
Old 20 October 2007, 02:38 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

looking at your router you are using virgin cable, connect the cable from the back of your current modem into the WAN port of your router, test by connecting a LAN cable from your router o your laptop

Old 20 October 2007, 02:57 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I'll give that a go and report back .... thanks
Old 20 October 2007, 06:52 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you rang !
Old 20 October 2007, 07:44 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Wow, this is doing my head in

My Dell just wont load up the internet either through usb/ethernet or the wireless connection thats showing up

My HP is fine. I tried loading up a new Virginmedia cd and it still hadn't loaded it up after about 45 minutes so I found the old NTL and it wouldn't load that up either
Old 21 October 2007, 06:04 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 47 NAT
Wow, this is doing my head in

My Dell just wont load up the internet either through usb/ethernet or the wireless connection thats showing up

My HP is fine. I tried loading up a new Virginmedia cd and it still hadn't loaded it up after about 45 minutes so I found the old NTL and it wouldn't load that up either

Ok step by step, use ethernet not usb, get rid of the USB cable.. throw it at the dog or something.

Turn the modem off at the wall and plug the ethernet into the modem and the computer.

Turn the modem on.

Right ok so assuming the cable works everything is physically setup correctly and as the modem works on the other PC, we know the modem is ok.

OK I'm assuming its winxp although it could be vista based on the CD not loading ?

We'll go with XP.

Click on start and then go to run

Type CMD and press ok

In the black box that comes up type IPCONFIG and hit enter

Now we need to see what comes up, if anything. If it returns the the original line without showing anything at all we have an issue with TCP/IP, if it just says Windows IP configuration, its going to be a disabled or not installed network card.

If you get and IP address starting 77, 72, 69 , 82 if memory serves then we're onto a winner.

If its 192 it means we either have a static IP set or the modem is acting as a DHCP and your network card is having issues connecting to the network.

If its a 169 .... well we'll deal with that if it happens.

Ok, so let me know what happens and we can go from there !!
Old 27 October 2007, 08:35 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the prompt reply and sorry I never got back to you earlier.

Right, my desktop won't connect to the net on ethernet for some reason and will only do it on USB The Dell wont connect to anything full stop

I tried another start up disc but nothing
Old 27 October 2007, 10:35 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the prompt reply and sorry I never got back to you earlier.

Right, my desktop won't connect to the net on ethernet for some reason and will only do it on USB The Dell wont connect to anything full stop

I tried another start up disc but nothing
Did you just ignore my post then?
Old 27 October 2007, 11:28 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I've tried again and done it inline with what you wrote above.

It shows:

Ethernet adapter LAN:

Media state ........media disconnected

Ethernet adapter wireless network connection

Media state ............. media disconnected

Its windows xp home
Old 27 October 2007, 11:39 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

If the ethernet doesnt work on the other pc either it sounds like you might have a faulty modem or cable. The USB wont work cause it needs to be installed.

Your best bet is the technical support do it now you should get UK and they can sort it for you, if the modem is faulty you'll get your money back for the call too!

Old 27 October 2007, 11:47 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

just tried it again and it came up with this:Ethernet adaper wireless network connection:

Connection- specific DNS suffix..: Belkin
IP Address ...............................: 192. xxxxxxx
Subnet Mask ............................: 255. xxxxxxx
Default Gateway .......................: 192. xxxxxxx

The network connection icon on the bottom of the screen did something briefly along the lines of showing it connected but not signal, if that makes sense

Last edited by 47 NAT; 27 October 2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: ....
Old 27 October 2007, 11:48 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I'm a bit slow as got to go from one pc to the other
Old 27 October 2007, 01:34 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

just tried it again and it came up with this:Ethernet adaper wireless network connection:

Connection- specific DNS suffix..: Belkin
IP Address ...............................: 192. xxxxxxx
Subnet Mask ............................: 255. xxxxxxx
Default Gateway .......................: 192. xxxxxxx

The network connection icon on the bottom of the screen did something briefly along the lines of showing it connected but not signal, if that makes sense
Theres no need to hide a local IP its no use to anyone.

192. IPs in this case are given out by your router.. your wireless router.

This would mean that the wireless has found a signal, connected and been given an IP. As there was no IP before this would mean that a static IP is not present.

THUS your Internet should work.

DO it again and if you get that again, type

PING BBC.CO.UK and report back !
Old 15 March 2008, 02:03 PM
reine d' esther
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down my connection problem

Well, I've unplugged cable from the modem and i tried to restart the modem by pushing the on/off button. But none of them really worked. Maybe i have to try again. But now, we don't use the router anymore, only the modem and some splitter (=where you can plug multiple internet cables in). But with that splitter thing too, If we put some internet cables in that thing, those cables get some IP-conflict. I don't know how to solve the IP-conflict between the computer here. Some dude once said we have to use DHCP, for solving the IP-conflict, but how to do it? So back to the main problem here. Yes, the laptop is wireless, but now we only use cable for the internet connection. Because we disconnected the router for the wireless signal.
About that signal, well, my laptop says with an icon in the right-down corner of the screen that it has connection with the internet, so my laptop got the internet signal, so it must be a good signal. But it doesn't really succeed in linking the internet. What i mentioned before was the flashing lights, yes, those lights were on the modem. All lights on the modem are still lit (in green), like the one for 'power', 'DSL' and 'internet'. But just one light keeps flashing (also in green): 'ethernet'. When this flashing light of 'ethernet keeps flashing the internet is somehow disconnected with my laptop. But when the 'ethernet' signal is lit (so not flashing) the internet is connected with my laptop. The brand of my laptop is Chilli Green with the windows functional system on it. man is driving crazy ... so i really appreciate any help that comes... pls help me
Old 15 March 2008, 02:26 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Well, I've unplugged cable from the modem and i tried to restart the modem by pushing the on/off button.

Its a standby button. You need to turn if off at the wall.

But none of them really worked. Maybe i have to try again. But now, we don't use the router anymore, only the modem and some splitter (=where you can plug multiple internet cables in). But with that splitter thing too, If we put some internet cables in that thing, those cables get some IP-conflict. I don't know how to solve the IP-conflict between the computer here. Some dude once said we have to use DHCP, for solving the IP-conflict, but how to do it?

DHCP allows multipule devices to connect to one source. Its built into the router. A DHCP server. You can't just use extension cables as the modem doesnt have a DHCP server.

So back to the main problem here. Yes, the laptop is wireless, but now we only use cable for the internet connection. Because we disconnected the router for the wireless signal.

What ? No router.. NO WIRELESS.

About that signal, well, my laptop says with an icon in the right-down corner of the screen that it has connection with the internet, so my laptop got the internet signal, so it must be a good signal. But it doesn't really succeed in linking the internet. What i mentioned before was the flashing lights, yes, those lights were on the modem. All lights on the modem are still lit (in green), like the one for 'power', 'DSL' and 'internet'. But just one light keeps flashing (also in green): 'ethernet'. When this flashing light of 'ethernet keeps flashing the internet is somehow disconnected with my laptop. But when the 'ethernet' signal is lit (so not flashing) the internet is connected with my laptop. The brand of my laptop is Chilli Green with the windows functional system on it. man is driving crazy ... so i really appreciate any help that comes... pls help me