Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

STi Server, Help please Mike or Orb

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2002, 10:54 AM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Mike/Orb,

I'm sure you've seen my earlier posts about the troubles I'm having with the STi locked server all of a sudden.

Is there an chance you could have a look at the servers log to see if theres any indication there ? I seem to be working fine on all other servers but the STi locked one now.

I'll be surprised if its anything to do with the new scanning software on there as I played a full night on there with no problem then the next night and every other since, after the first round I connect, I cant buy anything, cant switch weapons, cant drop weapons, can pick them up though (handy until I run out of ammo ) and I suffer from major lag (ping seems fine tho).

I uninstalled evey other game on my p.c last night and even uninstalled Podbot (which screwed my CS, told me I didnt have the custom game even tho it's CS retail, go figure , so I had to reupgrade to 1.3) all to no avail, cs still works fine everywhere else but STi locked.

This is a real bummer cos I dont play anywhere but STi locked now, well, I used to

p.s Which nasty piece of work tried to knife me on office last night when I was testing whether I could type, good job it was first round as I'd managed to buy a deagle, so lead supper for Mr. Knifey

Old 10 January 2002, 12:09 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Norm

I've also had problems with having no radar / CT weapon menu while playing as T etc, but this happens on all servers from time to time.

From my limited knowledge CS/HL sends info to the client at the beginning of each round. If this information does not reach u, then the client configuration would be incorrect. Things to look for are packet loss and alike. Think u where lagging big time last night at some point so this could all be connected.

Who is your isp? Any current problems with connection etc. ping test and traceroute?

Last night I noticed a few messages on the server when people first connect but this may not be related. It was happening for most people but I will look into them a bit more.

Reinstall your client and try again.

Orb

[Edited by orbv - 1/10/2002 12:34:07 PM]
Old 10 January 2002, 12:31 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Just a quick note Norm about the PODbot, the custom game it is refering to is the mod version of CS.

The only problems I've had are no radar and not being able to kill anyone.
Old 10 January 2002, 12:52 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

I realise that the custom game is CS, but strangely it gave me that message inside CS, when I'd gone into netgames, clicked refresh, chosen STi locked, started connecting, then it stopped and said "You must install the custom game before playing it" or something very similar, basically the same message you get if you try to connect to a Day of Defeat game within CS.

Anyhoo, I got around that by reapplying the 1.1 to 1.3 upgrade patch, worked fine again then (with other servers that is, still not with STi).

Anyone else got any ideas ? I'm starting to think maybe it is the new scanning software thats doing it after all because I can play fine on ANY other server.

I dont know of any other servers that run this software that I can test on, does anyone else ? any admins care to comment ?

Surely theres some sort of log on the server related to this scanning software, maybe it thinks it's found something on my p.c and turning off my ability to buy or type is some sort of way of punishng cheaters.

This has got me worried now as I'd hate to think that any one of you suspects me of cheating.

Any chance, when nobody is playing on the server that the scanner could be switched off so I can check if it really is that ? At least then I'll know, I'm not prepared to wipe my p.c and start again just yet, there must be an answer !

P.S I work fine on the Rogue public server too, when will the scanning software be installed on that, that would be as good a test for me ?

PPS Wow, think this is my longest post
Old 10 January 2002, 01:05 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Wink

I doubt anyone suspects you Norm. I find you harder to shoot now cause you jump around the screen so much

The only people I'd suspect of cheating were the ones you used to be really good but have now gone all ****e... eh H?

Matt
Old 10 January 2002, 01:12 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oiii Matt button it. Have been playing perfectly fine when the cheat software was on. I just need more practice, maybe stopping to light my ciggy mid game isn't a good idea. Got shot now just for lighting my ciggy, must get a quieter lighter.

Are you on tonight Matt?
Old 10 January 2002, 01:13 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Makes me innocent as I am always poor.

Norms problems do seem to be a server side thing because it all works fine on any other server including Rogue public. So the difference seems to be the anti-cheat measures.

ORB it has nothing to do with his connection or ISP, it works everywhere else, and used to work on Rogue locked until Monday night, after the BW session. His problems seem to have stemmed from that night's session on Rogue locked.

Any chance the logs might show something when NOrm logs on? Maybe its an admin mod plug in?
Old 10 January 2002, 01:24 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

HH... one step ahead of ya mate. Already made a post http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...mName=Computer

Matt
Old 10 January 2002, 02:10 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Norm

1) Notcied last night there is also PingBooster or summat on the Server ? Did this go on at the same time as the anti-cheat or the day after ?

2) Browsing www.counter-strike.net looking for possible answers. I think I may have found something to explain Steve's use of 3 letter excuses.....

http://forums.counter-strike.net/cgi...=ST;f=9;t=6081 - Just look at the topic title

Deano
Old 10 January 2002, 02:36 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Norm,

The udp buster has been in place for around 3 week I think but the changes over the last
week are as follows:

Anti Cheat (in need of upgrade)
Anti Spam
AdminMod
HL server 1.008 -> 1.008c

The server upgrade was done a couple of days after the other mods so could be
to blame. But why are u seeing the problem and everyone else is not. Can you
give me the following info either on the board on via email...

What OS / Hardware / ISP / Modem you using?

I'm happy to find help find the cause of the problem. As u are the only person seeing
probs I'm aware off, reinstall hl/CS is the first step. Next we can backout / disable
changes to the server and see if it makes any difference. I'm only around on Friday onwards
so is this a good time for u? This will need to be done before 8pm when the other guys will
want to use the server.

Orb

Old 10 January 2002, 02:39 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Forgot.....

HL logs are pretty crap so do not expect them to say anything. Again will need to look
tomorrow at these as I'm not around tonight and busy at work
Old 10 January 2002, 02:47 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Arrow

.....another thing, the anti-cheat softwares default action is kick and ban and not play games
with people. As some cheats are hard to detect it does continue to _work_with_clients_ to detect
them for a few minutes after each map change.

orb
Old 10 January 2002, 03:14 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Red face

roflmao @ deano

just browsing he says............how about doing some work for a change

i've done more work than u this week and i'm supposed to be on leave
Old 10 January 2002, 03:19 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Deano,

LOL @ Steves 3 finger salute

Orb,

Cheers, spec is as follows :

Win98 (Worked fine for a year until these probs)
Athlon 1.3Ghz
512Mb SDRAM
40Gb Seagate HD
32Mb 3D Prophet MX Hercules
ISDN Speedsurfer modem (ADSL not possible where I live )
ISP=BTinternet

Problems have only appeared in the last week and my spec hasnt changed at all for months, in fact over 6 months (Damn I need to upgrade something, getting itchy wallet )

Cheers for the help guys

Surprised how addicted I really am, CS cold Turkey does not taste good, perhaps Steve could BBQ it for me
Old 10 January 2002, 03:23 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

As Orbv says, I put the ping booster on quite some time ago. It appeared to make no difference to anyone. The only other person I've seen have problems with the server was Tiggs. That took some sorting out, but I can't remember how we did it.

Am I right in thinking you use the commercial version? As for the cheat s/w. If you watch your console when a new map starts, you'll see how it works (or at least what its trying to do to stop u cheating) (or thats my understanding of it anyway).

I'd be inclined to drop the hl version back before removing anything else, as that is more likely the cause ihmo, especially if your a "paying" type person.

--
Mike
Old 10 January 2002, 03:38 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Some smart person backup all the old files before upgrading hl so its only a 30 second job to back it out.

After HHxx comments on UK2 servers it could be metamod (1.11.00) is playing up. Again a smart person put metamod 1.10.0 on the server just incase there were any problem so it could be changed in next to no time.

The anti-cheat software being used is used by most servers running anti-cheat software. Did u have any problems on demons / jolt / barrysworld servers?

Anyone else having problems?

Think tiggs problems were client side/dns/won.net problem.
Old 10 January 2002, 03:48 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

orbv: thanks for the SMS answer as well. Confirmed what I already thought

--
Mike
(busy bee today)
Old 10 January 2002, 03:49 PM
J T
Scooby Regular

I have a small problem someone might be able to help with.

On reading some of the other graphics tweaking threads I changed my CS video mode setting from Software to OPenGL. The graphics are now amazing but when I log onto the locked server I last 20-30 secs then get kicked out. If I change back to Software mode I have no problems on the server.

I have an ATI All in wonder 32mb graphics card.

Any ideas??

Old 10 January 2002, 03:57 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The connection timeout on the server is set to 600 seconds (10 minutes) so should not be the
server doing the kicking. Again I will look at server logs on Friday but do not hold your breath.

The timeout is so long to help stop people with slow machines being kicked at map change (Tiggs)
Old 10 January 2002, 04:00 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Just make a small deposit to the normal bank account Mike
Old 10 January 2002, 04:24 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

deano : u r probably rite

yep i am around

just had a couple of not to bad games on jolt / uk2

jolt good uk2 i was getting lag.

Old 10 January 2002, 04:27 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Wink

Uk2 really does my head in now. I prefer Jolt, Barrysworld, BlueYonder and a few private locked servers All cs servers work fine for me except Uk2 ones.......

Oh well back to W***
Old 10 January 2002, 06:02 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Just checked the logs and nothing for both of u!
Old 10 January 2002, 06:03 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

but i have change the metamod version to 1.10.0 so if u can try it!
Old 10 January 2002, 07:03 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Wahay orbv is the man !!!

He's already tested the server with me on and taken off the various add ons and it turns out the anticheat stuff is what was making me moonwalk like Wacko Jacko !!

So it's off for the timebeing all cos of little ol' me, sorry to be the one pain in the *** whose machine didn't like it, but hey, at least you all get to kill me again

I feel a killing spree coming on

I'm amazed how depressed lack of CS made me, god help me if my ISDN box blows (/anti-fate-tempter ON !).

Cheers all for your help, especially orb, he IS the man

/orb-bullet-deflector on

Old 10 January 2002, 07:10 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Good old Norm

You do realise we are all now going to be exposed to more torrents of NFW, WTF etc etc

Oh and H will probably play well again too

Matt
Old 10 January 2002, 07:13 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 10 January 2002, 08:06 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Red face

Very funny Matt....

But I did play much better just now.

H
Old 10 January 2002, 08:19 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry H, couldn't resist

If anyone ever did accuse you of cheating I'd be the first in your corner defending you m8.

Matt
Old 10 January 2002, 08:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

saw my name mentioned on this thread so thought i'd say hi! but as i know diddly squat about PC's i have nuthin to add

Tiggs

ps- my new pc has arrived in bits and is now ready for building

Quick Reply: STi Server, Help please Mike or Orb