Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBOX 360 vs Playstation 3, any new details changing opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2007, 10:32 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XBOX 360 vs Playstation 3, any new details changing opinions?

Now that both consoles have been out for a while, how do they both shape up?
I know the PS3 has been slated since it's arrival, but do its Blu Ray capabilities straight out the box plus it's more powerful hardware bits make it the console of choice now.

XBOX almost seems old now, whereas PS3 seems like the latest and slickest, but I havent tried either for any period of time. PS3 seems like it has the hardware in place to develope a lot further than perhaps the XBOX, so might be around longer, althou XBOX has Halo 3 which PS3 will never have.

An XBOX 360 Elite (with HD DVD player) is £299 from Play (120GB HDD too), the PS3 with 40GB HDD is also £299. Not sure how much Id use the HDD thou, so it's not the major consideration.
Old 16 October 2007, 10:36 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Simple, if you want to play games, get a 360, if you're into watching movies, get the Blu-ray player, sorry I mean the PS3
Things will change eventually, but at the moment I don't think it's worth having the PS3 over the 360.
Also bare in mind that the £299 PS3 WILL NOT play any PS2 games as they've removed the backwards compatibility from it.
Old 16 October 2007, 10:39 AM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

I'm wondering the same, but the games still appear better with the 360 - Forza2, PGR4, Halo etc. Only game I'm interested in on the PS3 is Gran Turismo and that will probably be this time next year.

I'm looking for an Elite but everywhere's sold out with no deliveries coming in - the guy in Game suggested it's because they're changing to the new processor (or something), so sorting the 360 issues. Anyone concur / know different?
Old 16 October 2007, 10:45 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

You should own both. It's the only way forward. If you don't you are missing out. Simple as that, really.

Thankfully we live in a world where once you buy one or the other, it's not against the law to buy the other one too.

I have both, and I pity you poor foo's who for whatever ridiculous reason are anti Sony/MS
Old 16 October 2007, 10:49 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
You should own both. It's the only way forward. If you don't you are missing out. Simple as that, really.
Missing out on what exactly?
Old 16 October 2007, 10:53 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Folding@Home and Blu-ray's. Of course.

Old 16 October 2007, 10:55 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

A life?

I use a console for a few hours on a weekend, no way I can justify over £700 for them, then add the games, you're probably near £1000!!!! just to play games!!
I can stomach about £300 to £400, actually looking at an XBOX Premium with Halo for £270!! that is good value, how do you get it to play HD disks though?

Last edited by SideShowBob; 16 October 2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 16 October 2007, 10:56 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Thankfully we live in a world where once you buy one or the other, it's not against the law to buy the other one too.

I have both, and I pity you poor foo's who for whatever ridiculous reason are anti Sony/MS
Sony suck, buy a 360.
Old 16 October 2007, 10:56 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Missing out on games exclusive to either system.

They both have must own titles, Warhawk, Halo3, PGr4, Motorstorm etc etc obviously that goes more for 360 at the moment, but the next couple of months are quite big for PS3 releases.

If I had to pick one at the moment, I would go 360, but, you know, I don't have to choose at all.
Old 16 October 2007, 11:01 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've not seen anything "big" coming out for the PS3 anytime soon that's interested me. What titles are you referring to (I'm thinking I may have missed something)?

I've played Motorstorm, Resistance, and Warhawk, and got bored with all of them very quickly. Average at best, and certainly not worth buying a console for, (which is why I've still not got one - don't see the point).
Old 16 October 2007, 11:03 AM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

... so any truth in the next batch of Elites coming with new chip to sort the 360 issues?
Old 16 October 2007, 11:04 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

I heard even the new Premiums have this new chip.
Old 16 October 2007, 11:06 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

All the range will have them. Whether you get one or not depends on whether the old stock has cleared from the warehouses yet or not...
Old 16 October 2007, 11:06 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
how do you get it to play HD disks though?
With the HD Player, you can get it around £70-80 if you shop around.
Old 16 October 2007, 11:07 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Pete, you seem to be more interested in bragging about owning both consoles more than the content you can get for them.

I own 2x 360 Premiums, both being run on Samsung 40" LCD's with over 50 games, but im sure nobody cares, see where im going with this?

Lets face it, the PS3 has been a failure from the start, it was fantastic to see these idiots who pre-order 10 consoles in order to make a profit be completely stuck with them, on launch day you could walk in any game store and grab one off the shelf
Old 16 October 2007, 11:08 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Interesting thread this, as I'm in exactly the same boat currently.

I was going to get myself a 360 as a treat for my 30th birthday, which was last week, but couldn't make my mind up whether to get the Elite or the Premium. I then started reading about the reliability issues ("3 red lights of death" or something?!), and also about the PS3 drop in price (backwards compatability not an issue for me as I never had a PS2), and am now completely unsure which to go for.

I like the look of Halo 3, and mainly like shoot 'em ups. A guy at work has a PS3 and reckons he got it just for some RPG that's supposedly the greatest game ever (can't recall what it was called).

Keep the opinions coming :-)

Edited to add that I have an expensive 42" plasma TV that currently has no HD devices attached to it, so it would be nice to feel I could actually justify it by using the TV's capability more with a console connected to it!

Last edited by lordretsudo; 16 October 2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 16 October 2007, 11:09 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

All the range will have them. Whether you get one or not depends on whether the old stock has cleared from the warehouses yet or not...
It should state something on the box next to the serial number, all 360's now also come with hdmi as standard.
Old 16 October 2007, 11:11 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordretsudo
I like the look of Halo 3, and mainly like shoot 'em ups. A guy at work has a PS3 and reckons he got it just for some RPG that's supposedly the greatest game ever (can't recall what it was called).

Keep the opinions coming :-)
That was probably Oblivion, and it's on the 360 as well as the PS3 (in fact it was on the 360 first )
Old 16 October 2007, 11:21 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

as for the 3 lights of death ..... It doesn't happen to everyone.

I have a launch day Premium and a new Elite 360 and no problems here. With one of the highest gamerscores on here you can see they both get well used.
Old 16 October 2007, 11:23 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

£299 with those games is a good deal, offer ends today!!!!
Old 16 October 2007, 11:29 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I've not seen anything "big" coming out for the PS3 anytime soon that's interested me. What titles are you referring to (I'm thinking I may have missed something)?

I've played Motorstorm, Resistance, and Warhawk, and got bored with all of them very quickly. Average at best, and certainly not worth buying a console for, (which is why I've still not got one - don't see the point).
Motorstorm blows every racer out of the water on 360, perhaps aside from PGR4/Forza2, but they are very different games - Theres nothing to compare it to really on 360.

Warhawk is about the best online console game out there at the moment.

As for whats coming, Ratchet & Clank (which despite the name are ace games) Haze is shaping up nicely, Tekken 6, plus obviously all the multi platform stuff between it an 360.

(my 360 is used soley for exclusives these days - Which, thanks to Halo3 and PGR4, is getting used rather alot at the moment.)

Originally Posted by MrManchester
Pete, you seem to be more interested in bragging about owning both consoles more than the content you can get for them.
No, I'm just not a rabid fanvboy
Originally Posted by MrManchester
I own 2x 360 Premiums, both being run on Samsung 40" LCD's with over 50 games, but im sure nobody cares, see where im going with this?

That you are a rabid fanboy?
Old 16 October 2007, 11:31 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Game and Play have good deals too, and they arent saying anything about an end date for these:
This is the best ive found yet: Xbox 360 Premium with FREE Halo 3 (Xbox 360) - free UK delivery at GAME.co.uk

£249 delivered and available already. Might be he old chip thou at that price?
Old 16 October 2007, 11:32 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

360 if you want to enjoy a wealth of great games now. Halo 3 is superb, Bioshock is fantastic, Forza 2 is great, PGR4 is great fun, Half Life Orange box is good value. More on the way as well.

PS3 will be fantastic but if you want to be enjoying the better choice of games now it's the 360.
Old 16 October 2007, 11:33 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru

PS3 will be fantastic but if you want to be enjoying the better choice of games now it's the 360.
Can't argue with that.
Old 16 October 2007, 11:38 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Motorstorm blows every racer out of the water on 360, perhaps aside from PGR4/Forza2, but they are very different games - Theres nothing to compare it to really on 360.
We'll have to agree to disagree there. I found it very shallow, repetative, and it got boring very quickly.

Warhawk is about the best online console game out there at the moment.
Ok for short bursts, but it's not worth buying a console for.

As for whats coming, Ratchet & Clank (which despite the name are ace games) Haze is shaping up nicely, Tekken 6, plus obviously all the multi platform stuff between it an 360.
So the only exclusive games are Haze and Tekken 6. Hardly a healthy run up to Christmas is it. Haze is just another FPS. Pretty, but nothing we haven't seen before over and over again. Tekken 6 - yet another shallow sequel. Can't see that I'm missing out on anything there...

(my 360 is used soley for exclusives these days - Which, thanks to Halo3 and PGR4, is getting used rather alot at the moment.)
I've read in a large number of places that a lot of the multi-platform games actually are looking and playing better on the 360 than on the PS3, so I can't imagine why I'd choose the PS3 over the 360 at the moment.

Glad you like it, but I'm glad I haven't wasted any money on it (yet )
Old 16 October 2007, 11:55 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I've read in a large number of places that a lot of the multi-platform games actually are looking and playing better on the 360 than on the PS3, so I can't imagine why I'd choose the PS3 over the 360 at the moment.
It's purely a reliability thing. I don't trust my 360 not to **** up in the next 3 months. I decided that I will only do 360 for exclusives, and everything else will be on PS3.

Form what I have experienc epersonally, there is no difference at all in how MP stuff plays or looks, it's splitting hairs to call it one way or the other.
[/quote]
Glad you like it, but I'm glad I haven't wasted any money on it (yet )
Horses for courses, you pays your money, you takes your choice
Old 16 October 2007, 12:59 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Well Ive been sitting on the fence for a while now.

I had been put off by the PS3s lack of launch titles and the fact that alot of titles were just re-hashes of older PS2 games that looked nicer. I know that has happened on the 360 as well but it does seem there are more decent titles.

Anyway I was pretty convinced about buying a 360, mainly because forza IMO is awesome. Ive played PGR3 and thought it was dire, that and sega gt racing on the original xbox are probably the worst driving games I have ever played. I'm not that excited by GT5 either, I got bored of GT4 and played TOCA 3 much more because of the variety, and for me, the inclusion of *real* race circuits - as opposed to special stage 5!

So I spent some time round a friends house and he has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons. Now his opinions (which you may or may not agree) are as follows;
Blu-ray - ok no-one knows the winner of the format wars but if you add the cost of HD-DVD to the xbox 360 then prices arent that different. His view was that as HDDVD can store 30GB and blu-ray 50GB allegedly some film studios recording in HD + extras are struggling to fit content on a single HDDVD.

DNLA (I think?) - you can just add a network attached storage device which is a DNLA server and stream media content to the PS3 out of the box. At the moment PS3 doesnt decode Divx but that will change (so I am told).

Longetivity - being a technically better machine he feels theres more life in it than the 360, I think titles make the console myself.

So given that I have a large collection of PS2 games and was looking at the compatibility aspect it may be I go the PS3 route.

Gary
Old 16 October 2007, 01:11 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Just don't buy the £299 version Gary as it won't play your old games!
Old 16 October 2007, 01:14 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
Ive played PGR3 and thought it was dire

Blu-ray - ok no-one knows the winner of the format wars but if you add the cost of HD-DVD to the xbox 360 then prices arent that different. His view was that as HDDVD can store 30GB and blu-ray 50GB allegedly some film studios recording in HD + extras are struggling to fit content on a single HDDVD.
Gary
PGR3 is coming up to 2yrs old, try pgr4.

Supposedly by this christmas there will be triple layer HD-DVD holding around 80gigs, but as you say still too early to pass judgement on a format winner.
Old 16 October 2007, 01:18 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Just don't buy the £299 version Gary as it won't play your old games!
They are dropping backwards compatibility from all the versions of the console. So once the current stock of 60gb models (which are also being phased out) is exchausted, that's the end of that.

Quick Reply: XBOX 360 vs Playstation 3, any new details changing opinions?