Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DVD-R/RW writing software (backup)

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2007, 09:54 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD-R/RW writing software (backup)

I'm looking for some free easy to use software to back up my key hard drive files. Ideally I want something with pretty easy drag and drop functionality whereby I can select all the stuff I want to back up, hit a button and off it goes. I'd also prefer it if the software could recognize if it needs more than 1 disk and just spit the first one out when its done and ask for the second, third, etc.

Any recommendations?

Kenny
Old 13 October 2007, 10:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Also, while we are at it any recommendations for a cheap, simple, easy to use external usb/firewire hard-drive in the 300-400gb range that can be used for regular backing up?
Old 14 October 2007, 12:31 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use packet writing apps for DVDRW burning included with either nero (INCD) or Roxio (drag2disc) packages. Drag n drop, does the job. Don't know of any free apps which do similar.

You could use windows functionality if you have Vista, although it is flakey.
Plenty of options for external usb hdd's, look em up on popular sites n mags.
Old 15 October 2007, 11:15 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I had similar requirements in the past, ended up bouncing my head off my desk in frustration getting something to actually do the job properly.

In the end, the only piece of software that did what you seem to want it to is called Backup My PC, often referred to as BUMP. This software is not free, but has some really important features:-
- it will span disks for you, it does not really care how big the backup is. I think the maximum is 20+ discs (imagine sitting there doing that!)
- it verifies what is written, this is an ABSOLUTE MUST for backups. So often errors can creep in when using DVDRW media lots. Note there is a big difference between how some software verifies data. Some use shortcuts, they just check to see no issues were reported when writing the data. This actually waits until all writing is finished, and then reads is all back. Takes longer, but totally worth it.
- it can do incremental backups, so you don't have to start all over from scratch. It has a LOCAL database of was was previously written, so you don't have to feed in all your old disks for it compare the data on the disks against your hard drive. The backup can start as an when you want it to.
- its reliable.

Overall, I gave up using this in preference for an external USB HDD with Second Copy doing my backups. It just took far to long to do 20Gb+ backups to DVD. Second Copy can do incremental backups of 50Gb data sets in less than a couple of minutes (depending on the amount of changes)

Last edited by Luminous; 15 October 2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 15 October 2007, 11:26 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Also, while we are at it any recommendations for a cheap, simple, easy to use external usb/firewire hard-drive in the 300-400gb range that can be used for regular backing up?
Have a think about what you want here as there are several options.

1) An enclosure. This is the cheapest option, around £20-30. Its simply a box that you can put in any HDD of your choice. I have an Icy Box, looks smart and does the job. There are lots on the market and have all sorts of different interfaces. USB/ Fireware/ External SATA (awesomely quick if you can get that working). You must check that the enclosure has the correct internal connections for the drive you want to use. eg 3.5" IDE/ 2.5" IDE / SATA.

This can be a cheap option as it allows you to use an old drive as a backup option. You can also upgrade the drive inside as time goes on. Mine started with an 80Gb, then 120Gb, then 160Gb and now 300Gb. Basically the largest spare drive in the house goes in there

2) USB backup drive. Comes in its own enclosure with drive. Same options as above, but no upgrade options. Cannot use an old drive. 3.5" enclosures will need power from the mains. They will have a power cord like a laptop. 2.5" drives can get the power they need from the USB cable. This means they are substantially more portable. 2.5" are lower capacity though

3) NAS drive. Same as above, but has a network card in the box. Allows you to connect it to your network so all computers can access it directly. Does not tie up your USB interface, so your machine is more responsive when backing up.
Old 15 October 2007, 11:32 AM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I'm looking for some free easy to use software to back up my key hard drive files. Ideally I want something with pretty easy drag and drop functionality whereby I can select all the stuff I want to back up, hit a button and off it goes. I'd also prefer it if the software could recognize if it needs more than 1 disk and just spit the first one out when its done and ask for the second, third, etc.

Any recommendations?

Kenny
The link below is for unattended xp install cd/dvd's, but all you do is download the software,you want, then with 7zip or winrar and extract it.

try here :

Mrs Peel's Addon Collection @ RyanVM Forums

Last edited by slipstream_uk; 15 October 2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: .