Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iMac Virus Software

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2007, 11:02 AM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iMac Virus Software

Hiya

Just took delivery of a new iMac and wondered if someone could advise me on some Virus software.

Was gonna use nod32 but they don't do any for the Macs.

Cheers

Old 01 October 2007, 11:15 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I sometimes use this ClamXav but don't worry about viruses too much. Make sure the firewall is turned on.
Old 01 October 2007, 12:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are running Mac OS X then to be quite honest I'd not worry about installing any virus protection right now. I have 5 macs running and none of them have any form of virus protection installed as they simply do not need it. Until a virus appears for Mac OS X the only reason for running virus software on OS X is to scan files/attachements sent to you from a PC that could have a virus and to cleanse that file so you don't send it on to another PC and infect them.

I do however have the firewall turned on, as that's always a good move.

If you're going to be running XP/Vista on the iMac (one assumes it's a new Intel based machine) then if using BootCamp you will want to run virus protection and spyware/adware detection/removal software and windows firewall. If you're using a virtual machine solution, Parallels Desktop for Mac/VMWare Fusion, then you probably still want some form of protection running. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 01 October 2007, 12:34 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Markus
If you are running Mac OS X then to be quite honest I'd not worry about installing any virus protection right now. I have 5 macs running and none of them have any form of virus protection installed as they simply do not need it. Until a virus appears for Mac OS X the only reason for running virus software on OS X is to scan files/attachements sent to you from a PC that could have a virus and to cleanse that file so you don't send it on to another PC and infect them.

I do however have the firewall turned on, as that's always a good move.

If you're going to be running XP/Vista on the iMac (one assumes it's a new Intel based machine) then if using BootCamp you will want to run virus protection and spyware/adware detection/removal software and windows firewall. If you're using a virtual machine solution, Parallels Desktop for Mac/VMWare Fusion, then you probably still want some form of protection running. Better to be safe than sorry.
I'm using Parallels Desktop. XP has the Nod32 virus protection on so alls well there.

Cheers for the info all.
Old 01 October 2007, 06:39 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Another long time Mac user (17 years), never had Virus software, never had Virus.
Old 01 October 2007, 07:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Back in the System 7 days I did run Disinfectant to remove and cdev viruses, but I stopped using it when it was EOL'd in 98. The last virus I encountered, excluding word/excel macro viruses, which disinfectant didn't handle, was the Autostart 9805 worm, which again Dissy did not handle. After that I don't recall running any form of virus software on my machines.

The only time I have recently run AV software is due to incompatibility issues between the AV and our software, as some of the things our software does can be considered virus like activity, or it's jumping over our memory space and causing problems.
Old 01 October 2007, 08:09 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

I run Norton now and again on my iMac but it's never found anything infected. I do have the Firewall turned on and got Email virus protection.

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2007, 10:05 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichB
Another long time Mac user (17 years), never had Virus software, never had Virus.
#paranoid mode on# How do you know?
Old 03 October 2007, 10:52 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Chris - OK, valid point I suppose. lol.
Never lost anything important or experienced anything rmotely resembling one - that's all that matters to me. hehe.

That said my credit cards have taken a pounding from weird places now and again