Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

free webhosting?

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2007, 06:03 PM
nix_pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default free webhosting?

Ive just installed "zencart" and its saying i need a domain name with access to a control panel for mysql stuff before i can start. Are there any free domains or free trials, it doesnt matter if the name includes the hosts names etc? The shop im planning to create will eventually be hosted by the same host as the original site, but dont want to **** anything up on the main site whilst im messing around.

cheers

Nick

Edit: My ISP is AOL an iirc, they mentioned somehting about free webspace but all i could dig up was this "hometown" rubbish for blogs etc. I cant imagine that having the SQL stuff...

Am i best just spending the £3 (is this the going rate) an forgetting about "my first website domain", and my 3 quid, once im up to speed with zencart and using the main domian?

Last edited by nix_pug; 19 September 2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 19 September 2007, 06:31 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Have a look at this list of free web hosts that provide mySQL.
Old 20 September 2007, 11:11 PM
nix_pug
Scooby Regular

thanks markus. I managed to get a domain from 000webhost but can only access the control panel through the IP address. If i try typing the domain it says page cannt be displayed. I read something about the main domain can take up to 48hours to be "propagated". Is this normal?

cheers

nick
Old 21 September 2007, 12:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Yes, it is normal. What needs to happen is the the information about the name needs to get to name servers, so they can translate the name into the IP address, which is why the IP address works for you now. It might actually happen a bit quicker though, so keep checking.