Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows Vista re-install - is it a big deal for a numpty?

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2007, 05:45 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windows Vista re-install - is it a big deal for a numpty?

All

I won't bore you with the details my my new Dell Dimension C521 running Windows Vista Home Basic has thrown a huge wobbly fit. It all started when my daughter plugged her i-Pod in and got a message asking if she wanted a healthcheck (I forget the exact wording) which she accepted. In so doing it formatted the player and thereafter, i-Tunes wouldn't recognise hers or my i-Pod but Windows would.

No problem; the Apple website shows a 5 alternate steps of increasing severity to cure this problem. My woes began when I tried to re-install i-Tunes because the sodding thing kept hanging. Another helpful set of instructions didn't cure the problem and here's where it gets messy...

I used the Microsoft utility to transfer all of my files from the old PC and in so doing, it looks like 2 profiles (as opposed to user accounts) were created. It looks like (and I'm guessing here) that the installer files drops into the profile that I'm not using. I've tried to delete this profile but even when I'm logged in as an adminstrator, it won't let me. I've tried to delete bis of it piecemeal (especially the data apps folder which holds the 'Temp' folder where the .msi file always ends up) and now e-mail' packed in and the interweb's running like a dog.

I've tried doing a system restore to get it back to its virgin state but it won't play that game either.

So, the question is - should I just re-install Vista?

TIA as always.

Cheers
Kav
Old 29 August 2007, 06:07 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Have you tried Add Remove Programs (Known as Programs And Features on Vista) to get rid of what was installed?

In my experience system restores have never worked.

It all depends how much you stand to lose with a format. Its not dificult to do though. Just insert the back up discs and follow the instructions.
Old 29 August 2007, 06:19 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

Yeah - done all of that but it looks like these 2 different profiles are causing no end of grief.

Cheers
Kav
Old 29 August 2007, 06:37 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Might be worth doing a format to get rid then. Should only take 20 minutes.

Although you might want to see if anyone else has a solution before you do!
Old 30 August 2007, 01:52 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I noted you can't delete stuff, so maybe worth activating the "real" admin account and try doing it from that:

1. Open Start Menu.
2. In white line (Start Search) area type cmd
3. Right click cmd (at top) and click Run as administrator.
4. In command prompt, type "net user administrator /active:yes" and press Enter.
5. You will get the message, "The command completed successfully". If not, repeat step 4.
6. Close command prompt.
7. Log-off (in Start Menu) and you will see your new REAL Administrator account next to your current account/accounts.
8. Click on the new Administrator account and log in with it.
9. Give this account a password for better security if you want
10. You will need to Set up it's desktop preferences like any other account.

This should give you full admin privilidges unlike the default admin accounts.

NOTE: To turn off the real admin account just do steps 1 to 5 except type "net user administrator /active:no" instead. Make sure you are not logged into the Real Administrator account when turning off. Use a standard Administrator account to do this instead.

If all else fails reinstalling vista is no biggie....As long as you have the install discs for all your programs. Just backup everything in your documents folder, pictures music. etc.

Don't forget Email accounts and export any needed emails to a backup (if you use windows mail)

Worst case with reinstalling is if it rejects your license key...which will need a phone call to activate (no big deal...I did it last week).

Upon running the install disc all the old windows installtion will be transferred to a directory called "window.old" which once you've ensured there is nothing needed in there you can delete (although you may have to activate the real admin account again if it won't let you).

HOWEVER, after typing all that I just noticed you have a new Dell.......in which case you probably don't have an proper Vista install disc, just a poxy restore disc, so doubt it will do what I said in the last paragraph...so make sure you do all the backups on personal data.

Last edited by Shark Man; 30 August 2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old 30 August 2007, 12:19 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one - thanks!

I did a girly re-install (soft upgrade) last night and it's no better so I'm going weapons grade now. I'll do a backup as you suggest and start from scratch.

Incidentally, what's the difference between a profile and a user account? Or is that just a terminology difference between XP and Vista?

Thanks again

Cheers
Kav