Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

US "video game consoles" - sales for July

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2007, 10:40 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US "video game consoles" - sales for July

* Nintendo Wii: 425K
* Nintendo DS: 405K
* Sony PlayStation 2: 222K
* Sony PSP: 214K
* Microsoft Xbox 360: 170K
* Sony PlayStation 3: 159K
* Nintendo GBA: 87K

...and software

# NCAA Football 08—360—EA—397K
# Guitar Hero Encore Rocks the 80s—PS2—Activision—339K
# Wii Play w/remote—Wii—Nintendo—278K
# NCAA Football 08—PS2—EA—236K
# Mario Party 8—Wii—Nintendo—177K
# NCAA Football 08—PS3—EA—156K
# Pokemon Diamond—DS—Nintendo—144K
# Transformers: The Game—PS2—Activision—143K
# Guitar Hero II w/guitar—PS2—Activision—138K
# Guitar Hero II w/guitar—360—Activision—108K

source: GameDaily BIZ: July NPD: Game Industry Soars to Nearly $1 Billion, Wii Tops All, PS3 Almost Matches 360

Last edited by spectrum48k; 24 August 2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 24 August 2007, 11:02 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Is there a chart for software sales? That'd be more interesting than console sales...
Old 24 August 2007, 03:40 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

I think this in itself is major evidence that sony will overcome microsoft yet again.
Old 24 August 2007, 03:49 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Why? Because it's selling less units?
Old 24 August 2007, 04:24 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

Look at the PS2 sales
Old 24 August 2007, 04:27 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

and?

You are surprised a very cheap machine is selling more units than a vastly more expensive one? If anything that makes it more worring for Sony as the next Gen is still lagging behind the competition in terms of sales, and people are buying the last gen ps2 instead of the more modern ps3
Old 24 August 2007, 04:33 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

No what that tells me is sony has a very strong fanbase, and even though the PS3 has not got as many games out as the 360 and costs more money its sales are nearly equal. Its obvious for me to see that sony has the stronger fanbase yet again and that they are well on their way to beating microsoft. As soon as sony can produce the cell chip cheaper and reduce the price of the PS3 is that the 360 will be in trouble.
Old 24 August 2007, 04:43 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I'd hardly call having millions of users being in trouble, but I suspect that Sony will catch up with MS (and maybe overtake). It'll take some time before that happens though.
Old 24 August 2007, 04:48 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

I give it a year.
Old 24 August 2007, 05:00 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VoteConservative!
I think this in itself is major evidence that sony will overcome microsoft yet again.
Sony have steadily built a huge fan base, selling in excess of 100 million PS2 units, on the back of huge success of PS1. In the past, there was no "real" competition to PS1 or PS2

This time around, PS3 has its work cut out with Xbox360 - you could argue both machines are equally appealing - in fact Xbox360 probably shades it at the moment on game availability.

Sony's huge fanbase is being gradually eroded over time, although I still expect PS3 to outsell Xbox360 this time around - purely because of brand loyalty. But Sony won't outsell its rivals by a landslide like it used to. Microsft are there for the long haul.
Old 24 August 2007, 05:15 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

This generation of games consoles will be around for about 9-10 years, microsoft is already being limited by the space capacity on its hd discs. Also when the 360 games out it didnt have any really good games on it and at the moment its the same for the PS3, but give it a while and the PS3 should have some amazing stuff. Really the way I percieve it gamers went out and got a 360 when the good games came out, but currently they are awaiting the sony big hitters and when they do arrive the 360 will start to collect dust!
Old 24 August 2007, 05:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will buy a PS3 when there are some games that are better than the 360 and I want a blu ray player.
Old 24 August 2007, 05:29 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Will buy a PS3 when there are some games that are better than the 360 and I want a blu ray player.
I cant wait for GT5 and metal gear solid

Other than shooters the 360 doesnt really have any great games as such
Old 24 August 2007, 05:34 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I cant wait for GT5 and metal gear solid

Other than shooters the 360 doesnt really have any great games as such
Yawn...... what is Metal Gear if not a shooter?

The 360 has got a huge number of great games. Only a fool or a rabid Sony fanboy could argue that it hasn't
Old 24 August 2007, 05:37 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Yawn...... what is Metal Gear if not a shooter?

The 360 has got a huge number of great games. Only a fool or a rabid Sony fanboy could argue that it hasn't
name them as I only really enjoy gears of war and forza 2 on my 360. Im desperate for some more good games!

And I wasnt complaining about there being too many shooters. I was complaining that there wasnt any other genres with great games.
Old 24 August 2007, 05:59 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

name them as I only really enjoy gears of war and forza 2 on my 360. Im desperate for some more good games!

And I wasnt complaining about there being too many shooters. I was complaining that there wasnt any other genres with great games.
No other good game in other genres eh...

Oblivion (and soon Mass Effect, Blue Dragon etc) - RPG
Loads of great driving games (Forza 2, Dirt, Burnout)
Viva Piniata - Construction / empire building
Lego star wars - Great fun
Command and conquer - good RTS (even if it is easier to control on the pc)
Tiger woods - Great golf game
Overlord - Evil gnome bashing at its best
Space Giraffe / Geometry wars / Sensible soccer (due soon) - Great arcade fun

Personally I thought that Gear of War was rubbish, but each to their own
Old 24 August 2007, 06:31 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

No other good game in other genres eh...

Oblivion (and soon Mass Effect, Blue Dragon etc) - RPG
Loads of great driving games (Forza 2, Dirt, Burnout) forza yes the other 2 no.
Viva Piniata - Construction / empire building
Lego star wars - Great fun maybe so but im not 11
Command and conquer - good RTS (even if it is easier to control on the pc) I will stick to a pc version
Tiger woods - Great golf game golf is ultimately boring
Overlord - Evil gnome bashing at its best dont do gnomes
Space Giraffe / Geometry wars / Sensible soccer (due soon) - Great arcade fun arcade not for me.

Personally I thought that Gear of War was rubbish, but each to their own
Edited above and none of the games but forza appeal to me.
Old 24 August 2007, 06:43 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Edited above and none of the games but forza appeal to me.
but you can't deny that there are lots of good games out for the 360 !

your choice in games isn't the choice of millions.

Your comments sound to me like that of a raving Sony Fanboy. Defend the console to your last breath even though it has been a huge failure worldwide. The unit sales are way below Sony's target and the console is still selling less than the 360 in a month that the 3 red light problem was all over the news.

360 is now almost 2 years old and with the latest price drop and Halo3 on the horizon (like it or not) will sell 360's like hot cakes.

once again PS3 owners wait for the next big thing and 360 owners play the games here and now.

reading Kotaku where a Sony rep said that europe doesn't want more games because PS3 owners want to finish one game before moving on .... LOL
Old 24 August 2007, 06:49 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

This generation of games consoles will be around for about 9-10 years, microsoft is already being limited by the space capacity on its hd discs. Also when the 360 games out it didnt have any really good games on it and at the moment its the same for the PS3, but give it a while and the PS3 should have some amazing stuff. Really the way I percieve it gamers went out and got a 360 when the good games came out, but currently they are awaiting the sony big hitters and when they do arrive the 360 will start to collect dust!
Disk size is immaterial...

The PS1 FFVII came on 3 disks, dont recall huge moans about this.

all any developer/ manufacturer has to do is code a break / level finish and a disk change...

hardly earth shattering, and kills this argument stone dead

Mart
Old 25 August 2007, 05:57 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

Originally Posted by RB5-Black
but you can't deny that there are lots of good games out for the 360 !

your choice in games isn't the choice of millions.

Your comments sound to me like that of a raving Sony Fanboy. Defend the console to your last breath even though it has been a huge failure worldwide. The unit sales are way below Sony's target and the console is still selling less than the 360 in a month that the 3 red light problem was all over the news.

360 is now almost 2 years old and with the latest price drop and Halo3 on the horizon (like it or not) will sell 360's like hot cakes.

once again PS3 owners wait for the next big thing and 360 owners play the games here and now.

reading Kotaku where a Sony rep said that europe doesn't want more games because PS3 owners want to finish one game before moving on .... LOL
I have a 360 so how can I be a sony fanboy? I just know that the 360 is tremendously flawed, and that the PS3 is the future. Apparently the games out on the PS3 now are all only running at 50% full potential as sony are still working on the full power dev kits!

Still think the 360 lacks really good games worth playing.

Forza is good
GoW is good.

However those two are the only games so far that would tempt me to spend a nigh indoors instead of going out on a weekend.
Old 25 August 2007, 06:19 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Its amazing how well the Nintendo Wii is selling. I guess its because it sells to a wider family audience.
Old 25 August 2007, 06:43 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I have a 360 so how can I be a sony fanboy?
Because every comment you make sounds like a Sony fanboy comment. To say there are only two games worth getting on the 360 is just plain silly. There's even less on the PS3, so that makes it even less attractive using your logic...

I just know that the 360 is tremendously flawed, and that the PS3 is the future.
Rubbish

Apparently the games out on the PS3 now are all only running at 50% full potential as sony are still working on the full power dev kits!
I've seen the same quotes for the 360. As any decent developer will tell you, this is basically just marketing talk and has very little basis in fact.

However those two are the only games so far that would tempt me to spend a nigh indoors instead of going out on a weekend.
Just because you don't seem to like any games other than simplistic shooters and driving sims, that does limit your choice a bit. There's currently even less choice on the PS3 using that criteria though, so your arguments simply don't make any logical sense. The millions of happy xbox users out there would seem to suggest that there are more than 2 good games available...
Old 25 August 2007, 07:13 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

the PS3 is the future. Apparently
nuff said
Old 25 August 2007, 08:12 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Pachter earlier predicted that the Sony PlayStation 3 will beat the Xbox 360 for the first time in sales last month due to its US$ 100 price drop, but says the market behaved in unexpected fashion.

"Xbox 360 demand was far stronger than we expected this month, with sales just above those for the PS3," he says. "We had expected a decline in demand due to the warranty issue and price competition from Sony. We now expect Xbox 360 sales to increase, as the warranty issue appears to be of little concern to consumers, and the recent price cut should stimulate demand."

simExchange expressed many of the same feelings, adding that "the market overreacted to the leaked upcoming Xbox 360 price drop and the warranty issues as deterrents to July purchases, and saying "given the lifetime unit sales predictions for the Xbox 360 and the PS3, the Xbox 360 will continue outselling the PS3 every month through the holidays."

With a 6 million head start over the PS3 as it stands worldwide and a gap that's getting bigger all the time ! Do you think that developers are really going to spend the extra money making a PS3 version of a cross platform game any better than the 360 version

I agree that raw power of the PS3 is greater than the 360 but as we all know it isn't all that easy to release it's potential.

Last edited by RB5-Black; 25 August 2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 26 August 2007, 02:14 AM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

Because every comment you make sounds like a Sony fanboy comment. To say there are only two games worth getting on the 360 is just plain silly. There's even less on the PS3, so that makes it even less attractive using your logic...

Rubbish

I've seen the same quotes for the 360. As any decent developer will tell you, this is basically just marketing talk and has very little basis in fact.

Just because you don't seem to like any games other than simplistic shooters and driving sims, that does limit your choice a bit. There's currently even less choice on the PS3 using that criteria though, so your arguments simply don't make any logical sense. The millions of happy xbox users out there would seem to suggest that there are more than 2 good games available...
Well you seem like a xbox fanboy to me then. You are afterall on your 4th xbox 360
Old 26 August 2007, 03:44 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Well you seem like a xbox fanboy to me then. You are afterall on your 4th xbox 360
I've only bought one though. It's the 4th repair. Your inane comments are getting boring now....
Old 26 August 2007, 04:19 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd have to agree, Young is def a MS fanboy
Old 26 August 2007, 04:55 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Forza is good
GoW is good.

Hopefully, games don't dictate your life as you indicate.
Anyway, if you think Forza and GoW are the only good games on the 360 that are of interest to you, I really hope that you will find your preferred games on the PS3 in the future. Maybe you want to tell us what genre you are into so this community can give you some advice on games that might interest you. I just can't believe that besides these two games you couldn't find other games to please your gaming style out of the hundred games already available on the 360. But then again what do I know if your console tells you what to do on weekends, who knows what you are capable of. Nothing really more to say than wishing you good luck in your future gaming life.
Old 26 August 2007, 06:52 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

I love racing games Gran turismo forza etc.
Not really into shooters but GoW was a one off. I never liked halo.
I enjoy my footie games and the GTA series.
Generally most the games I used to play where all ps2 exclusives.
Love metal gear solid.
Used to really enjoy the donkey kong series on the Snes too!
Old 26 August 2007, 11:29 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
I'd have to agree, Young is def a MS fanboy
FFS, I currently have...

Xbox 360
Xbox
Wii (on order)
Sony PS2
Sony PSP
Several Nintendo gameboys (DS, SP, advanced and 2 originals)
GP2X
Sega megadrive (with cd addon)
SNES
Sega Dreamcast
Nintendo 64
and an Acetronic video game system (my first console from more years ago that I care to remember).

In fact about the only console I haven't currently got is a flippin PS3, and that's only because there's nothing worth buying on it yet. If that makes me a MS fanboy then I hate to think what you lot are with your rabid loyalty of Sony. I'm a fan of games not the hardware, and at the moment there is only one ("next gen") platform with decent games; the 360...

So there

Quick Reply: US "video game consoles" - sales for July