Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wii better than Xbox360 lol

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2007, 02:35 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wii better than Xbox360 lol

TheRegister:

"Nintendo's Wii is nearing the Xbox 360's cumulative sales total, despite the year-long availability advantage enjoyed by the Microsoft games consoles. New figures put the Wii at 10.10m units sold to date worldwide, just behind the 360's 10.32m."
Old 13 August 2007, 02:58 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

yep, it overhauled PS3 straight away and its been hunting down the Xbox360 ever since...

If it forces a rethink by game publishers and developers then that's fantastic.

To me it's re-affirming something most of us knew all along - its NOT all about shiny graphics and raw horsepower under the hood.

And its sooo refreshing to see it appeal to a broader demographic. Hell, even my wife wants one!!
Old 13 August 2007, 04:30 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nintendo have 3 markets, those with no console, those with a 360, those with a ps3.

It is cheap enough for people to own the wii along side 360 or ps3, this is why they have good sales.
Old 13 August 2007, 04:44 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Not bad for a console that was called a gimmick on this very forum
Old 13 August 2007, 07:50 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

It is a gimmick, the Wii is a "toy" in my eyes, i had mine 3 weeks then sold it after using it a few times.

Originally Posted by bob269
Nintendo have 3 markets, those with no console, those with a 360, those with a ps3.
and idiots
Old 13 August 2007, 08:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

U have both, for me, the 360 is more my kind of machine, the Nintendo is more fun for more people though.
Old 13 August 2007, 08:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

U have both, for me, the 360 is more my kind of machine, the Nintendo is more fun for more people though.
Old 14 August 2007, 01:45 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.Manchester
It is a gimmick, the Wii is a "toy" in my eyes, i had mine 3 weeks then sold it after using it a few times.

and idiots
Its a great console ...get over it
Old 14 August 2007, 09:26 AM
joe79er
Scooby Regular

i have both and i find the wii is good when there is a few friends round and the 360 is for "real" online gaming. I like both for very different reasons
Old 14 August 2007, 12:06 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Wii is a family thing and for people that dont usually do the gaming thing, 360/PS3 are for proper gamers that want to play serious games.

They are not in competition IMO.
Old 14 August 2007, 03:30 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
proper gamers that want to play serious games
Old 14 August 2007, 04:20 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

If you extend the logic in "wii better than 360 because it's sold as many units in a shorter period of time", it makes a Ford Fiesta better than an Impreza.
Old 14 August 2007, 05:10 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

in light of the recent xbox 360 refunds/failure rates/etc your analogy is wrong

You need to find an expensive faster crap car vs a slower, very well built and cheaper model
Old 14 August 2007, 05:32 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Each console has its own merits, The Wii has found its niche, and has exploited it very well (tick in the box for Nintendo).

Xbox and PS3 both serve a dedicated following, some hardcore, others new buyers.

I have to admit, there are some games on the Wii that i like (puzzles etc) and others i think are pants. Wii sports springs to mind.

My biggest gripe with the PS3 is that it wants to be a PC. and ***** waves as much as MS do with its Explorer S/W

Both 360&PS3 want to be the media hub of the front room/ house and are far removed from just playing games.

Its this "media experience" i don't like. I want the ability to decide what i want to watch something on, not have some black / white box in the corner dictate what i can or cant do.

Now other people love this, as it simplifies everything for them, and if thats what you want then fair enough.

Each console serves specific needs for different people.

Mart
Old 14 August 2007, 05:59 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Both 360&PS3 want to be the media hub of the front room/ house
My 360 would need some serious soundproofing before i'd even consider playing a dvd/watching a movie clip or listening to an mp3 with it.
Sounds horrendous when the discs' spinning during gameplay.

The Wii is just a tarted up gamecube with a fancy peripheral - don't get all the fuss
Old 14 August 2007, 07:54 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I have just a Wii. Also own a PS2 and Xbox as well as a PSP.

Dream Weaver, the Wii has serious games. Resident Evil 4, Call Of Duty, Medal Of Honor, Brothers In Arms, Driver Parallel Lines, Godfather, Scarface. Theres loads and more coming out. Brothers In Arms will have a 30 player online mode too.

Plus you can't include Wii Sports, that came free with the console.
Old 15 August 2007, 09:59 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Ive got a wii and a PS2 and both get used. The wii is fantastic and my 4 yr old loves playing on it but Im still looking at getting a 360 for things like forza. The wii has some great games but for hardcore gaming I think you need something like a 360/PS3 for the sheer range of titles.
Old 15 August 2007, 10:58 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
My 360 would need some serious soundproofing before i'd even consider playing a dvd/watching a movie clip or listening to an mp3 with it.
Sounds horrendous when the discs' spinning during gameplay.
Buy surround sound

Im running 2x Xbox 360's at the moment, there a fantastic media station aswell as a stunning console.

Console 1 is running surround sound on a 32" Samsung LE32R88BD LCD in the living room.
Console 2 is also running surround sound on a 40" Samsung LE40R88BD LCD in the "gaming" room and ive never had a days trouble with either of them!

The Wii didnt do it for me graphicly and the games were to "childish" for my liking. I wanna see head pops, chainsaws and blood splatter on the screen!
Old 16 August 2007, 06:25 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
360/PS3 are for proper gamers that want to play serious games.
I can't believe that somebody can even write something like this.
Old 16 August 2007, 03:06 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

The Wii didnt do it for me graphicly and the games were to "childish" for my liking. I wanna see head pops, chainsaws and blood splatter on the screen!
Wot, you mean like Resident Evil 4 ? (which is fantastic on Wii)
Old 16 August 2007, 03:14 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swiss scooby
I can't believe that somebody can even write something like this.
why? realistic physics etc. Wii is a party console\kiddies machine IMHO.
Old 16 August 2007, 05:21 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Wot, you mean like Resident Evil 4 ? (which is fantastic on Wii)
Exactly what I was about to write when I saw this comment!
Old 16 August 2007, 05:22 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
No, it just caters for those you mention.
Old 17 August 2007, 12:15 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

I believe that the wii is one of the most innovative console that came out so far. Great graphics on the (Xbox and PS3) are cool for a while but you get used to it way to fast. In the end it always comes down to good gameplay which I prefer to graphics anytime. Eventhough I really enjoy Forza Motorsports 2 on my 360, I still had the most fun in a driving game while playing Super Mario Cart, especially the SNES version. Of course every now and then there are games coming out that support both, great graphics and great gameplay. Unfortunately, most of the time people get tricked by shining graphics and don't realize that they basically play the very same game as years before but it just looks prettier. So what, that the mii's are looking kiddie like. The laugh I had building my mii's was priceless (played around at least for an hour). A card game does not get better with nicer pictures on them.
Old 17 August 2007, 11:35 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swiss scooby
I believe that the wii is one of the most innovative console that came out so far. Great graphics on the (Xbox and PS3) are cool for a while but you get used to it way to fast. In the end it always comes down to good gameplay which I prefer to graphics anytime. Eventhough I really enjoy Forza Motorsports 2 on my 360, I still had the most fun in a driving game while playing Super Mario Cart, especially the SNES version. Of course every now and then there are games coming out that support both, great graphics and great gameplay. Unfortunately, most of the time people get tricked by shining graphics and don't realize that they basically play the very same game as years before but it just looks prettier. So what, that the mii's are looking kiddie like. The laugh I had building my mii's was priceless (played around at least for an hour). A card game does not get better with nicer pictures on them.

It's only the controller that is 'innovative' not the console. People always hark on about gameplay now and not great gfx etc. Sorry but that's bull. Gameplay is a massive part but gfx make a game so much more involving the better they are. The environments look and can be interacted with in far more ways due to more powerful consoles allowing the physics engines to do their work. There's always rose tinted glasses on for the old games I find. The games I've played on the Wii are good for a short time with a few mates after several beers. It's a party machine more than a games console to me.
Old 17 August 2007, 12:13 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I don't class the Wii as a next gen console, I put it in the same bracket as the old Xbox and PS2, and it'll have to sell a hell of a lot more units to catch those consoles.
Old 17 August 2007, 01:04 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Reckon there is some fanboyism going on in this thread

Its horses for courses surely ?
Cant really compare the Wii with PS3 or 360 , No denying its success though,
Kids console or not.

You 360 boys should give it some credit
Old 17 August 2007, 09:07 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Hello,

360 fanboy here,

Bought a Wii ..... played bowling for a bit .... played Zelda.... console placed on standby for three months then Sold !

Just not my cup-o-tea really. Kudos to Nintendo but it's a Kids console with a gimmick really IMHO.
Old 17 August 2007, 09:14 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

What, you mean like Resi 4?
Old 17 August 2007, 10:56 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

It's only the controller that is 'innovative' not the console. People always hark on about gameplay now and not great gfx etc. Sorry but that's bull. Gameplay is a massive part but gfx make a game so much more involving the better they are. The environments look and can be interacted with in far more ways due to more powerful consoles allowing the physics engines to do their work. There's always rose tinted glasses on for the old games I find. The games I've played on the Wii are good for a short time with a few mates after several beers. It's a party machine more than a games console to me.
Yes it is the controller which is innovative about the wii but for each console the controller is equally important than the power of the console itself. Atari Jaguar anybody? I agree with you that the graphics are very important for a lot of games like First Person Shooters (sniper rifles, etc) and I would always prefer to get such games on my Xbox 360 instead of the wii. You absolutely hit the nail on the head by saying the wii is a party and family machine. To call it a kiddie machine is simply wrong. Being in the situation of owning a Xbox 360 and a wii is just pure bliss and I wouldn't want to miss any of them.

Quick Reply: Wii better than Xbox360 lol