Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBOX Display Issue (and resolution)

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2007, 04:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XBOX Display Issue (and resolution)

Thought I'd post the following in case anyone happens to experience the same problem.

I've got an original xbox with an X3 modchip and it's running T3BH's latest bleeding edge build of XBMC. I was editing a few System settings and like a pillock, accidentally set the 480p option in Video Hardware. Even more stupidly I then rebooted the xbox without disabling the option. So my display was buggered.

I tried resetting the user data (turn on xbox, hold down both thumbsticks and press A when the reset option appears) but it did not help. I sat there having a think, as well as feeling rather foolish.

I was sitting there when I had what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity. I remembered that after modchipping the box I could not see anything on screen and this is because I was using the advanced AV lead. I read that you needed to use the standard lead. I thought I'd give the same thing a shot here and lo and behold, screen is back to normal.

Switched back to the advanced lead, still no go, so I popped the standard one in and booted into XBMC and worked out the keypresses needed to get into the settings, this would allow me to do this "blind" when using the advanced lead.

I thought I'd detail the keypresses as it might help others if they encounter a similar issue and don't have a standard video lead to hand.

The key presses were as follows (once XMBC is booted):

Press D-Pad Up 1 time (Gets you to the "Settings" option) -> Press A (selects "Settings" option)

Press D-Pad Down 1 time -> Press D-Pad Right 2 times (puts you over the "System" setting) -> Press A (Selects "System" option)

Press D-Pad Down 6 times (puts you over the "Video Hardware" settings) -> Press D-Pad Right 1 time (puts you on the "Aspect Ratio option) -> Press D-Pad Down 1 time (puts you over the enabled 480p option) -> Press A (disables the 480p option) -> Press B (takes you back to the main settings configuration window - I did this to ensure the option was saved)

Press Right Thumstick 1 time (To display quick menu) ->Press D-Pad Right 2 times (puts you over the Restart option) -> Press A (selects restart option)

After doing the above the box rebooted and displayed things correctly.
Old 08 August 2007, 04:43 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Couldn't you turn off 480p when connected up with composite lead rather than have to memorise the path?
Old 08 August 2007, 05:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Couldn't you turn off 480p when connected up with composite lead rather than have to memorise the path?
If you mean the normal (Red & White audio and Yellow video) lead, then unfortunatley no, I could not turn off the option. I went into the settings but the 480p option was disabled, as were some other options, such as digital audio out. This does make some sense as those options would only really be of use with the advanced lead.
Old 10 August 2007, 11:14 AM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

You can reset the xbox settings via the normal leads but you have to set up your xbox live account again. That will sort your problem but i think you will lose your game saves.
Old 11 August 2007, 08:38 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Markus, do you need a hand with this? If so let me know what you need. I am a bit of a don with hard or sofmodded Xbox's. What version exactly did you last upgrade to for XBMC? Have you made any script alterations to the default menu that loads up? Have you fired up on the standard composite lead (crap yello phone connector job wit/without scart adaptor), holding the white button down while you boot to get in to the X3 menu?

If you want I will give you the key presses needed to set it back to standard scart via the X3 or tell me what res you need and I will go from there.

Last edited by Mr Footlong; 11 August 2007 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Ah, didn't read all of that exactly, good that you sorted it yourself ;) 'cough'
Old 11 August 2007, 02:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Have now learnt to make sure of what options I'm enabling One of my friends suggested a solution would have been to get a nice HDTV Cheeky sod!
Old 11 August 2007, 03:09 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

In all fairness Xbox 1's do upscale media VERY well in 720P imo. Forget 1080i, the gui etc runs like a dog.