Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Lenovo Thinkpads

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2007, 06:20 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lenovo Thinkpads

Need a new laptop - Mine's so full of cack that it takes about 15 minutes to get started, plus the spec is a bit old.
Heard good things about Lenovos (ex IBM) and the R61 seems a decent little machine = And available for £600 ex VAT (my Ltd company will buy it).

Seem to get good reviews too but the nearest dealer is miles away - Should I take the plunge and order it? Usually like to view things first if possible but if any of you think it's good, I'll go for it.

Is Vista a real pain in the butt too?

Lenovo - Products - United Kingdom - Lenovo Selection: Thinkpad:ThinkPad R Series

Cheers all!
Old 07 August 2007, 08:32 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Just got this one -

dabs.com - Lenovo R61 Core2Duo 1GB 120GB DVDRW VistaBusiness (NF55QUK)

SWXGA screen

Even cheaper here NF55QUK Lenovo THINKPAD R61W C2D/T7100-1.8G 120GB 1GB 15IN DVD±RW VB EN - NF55QUK (Laptops Notebooks) Reviews
Old 07 August 2007, 11:23 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

RUN AWAY! I used to run the support department at work and we bought Lenovos exclusively for about 6 months and they are rubbish. They need constant rebuilding, they're slow, they're unreliable. We now use HP and the cost of ownership is about 25% of the Lenovos. My current work HP is a gem.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:27 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Gizmo - A little bit more than I've been looking at - presume that's just because it's "business ready?" - I'm looking at a home set up.

What do you think of it?

Notorious - Oh darn. Heard awful things about HPs too - A damn minefield the laptop World!
Old 09 August 2007, 08:53 PM
Kermit
Scooby Regular

We have about 130 IBM/Lenovo laptops at work.

Never had a reliability issue with them. Out of all the makes, they are the best engineered.

They aren't the most cutting edge, and do look a little dated.

Can't comment specifically on the R Series (evaluated them, but don;t own any), but can comment on the T and X series (run a mixture of X31, X32, X61, T40, T41, T42, T61)

They can run slow, especially if fully loaded with all their included software.

Not the cheapest hardware around.

Its early days since Lenovo took over IBM, there have been a few design changes. Some things aren't very well thought out nowadays.

K.
Old 09 August 2007, 09:45 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Gizmo - A little bit more than I've been looking at - presume that's just because it's "business ready?" - I'm looking at a home set up.

What do you think of it?

Notorious - Oh darn. Heard awful things about HPs too - A damn minefield the laptop World!
Found nothing wrong with it yet. Went for that model because it was the cheapest one with the higher screen res. Wanted something higher than the norm in that price range.

I assume it comes with Vista business cause they're normally business purchased.

Have put in an extra 1GB memory (£38) as Vista is very hungry for it.

Some people say it looks dated - i say different than the norm. Certainly robust feel about it.

Hasen't got the shiny glass screen others have got (HP/Fujitsu) but not sure if I like the glass screens.

Cheers

Mark
Old 10 August 2007, 02:37 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Mark/Kermit -Appearance is of no importance - just needs to work and be able to multitask well.

Would go for extra memory too -Think I might stop faffing and get one!

Trending Topics

Old 11 August 2007, 07:04 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kermit
We have about 130 IBM/Lenovo laptops at work.

Never had a reliability issue with them. Out of all the makes, they are the best engineered.

They aren't the most cutting edge, and do look a little dated.

Can't comment specifically on the R Series (evaluated them, but don;t own any), but can comment on the T and X series (run a mixture of X31, X32, X61, T40, T41, T42, T61)

They can run slow, especially if fully loaded with all their included software.

Not the cheapest hardware around.

Its early days since Lenovo took over IBM, there have been a few design changes. Some things aren't very well thought out nowadays.

K.
I have heard that the T and X's are better but the R's are definately worth steering clear of, they don't deserve the Thinkpad name.