Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone play Battlefield 2142?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2007, 07:42 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone play Battlefield 2142?

My mate just found a copy lying around unopened that he bought a while back. Fired it up and am pretty impressed so far. However Im currently getting my **** handed to me. People are killing me with weapons I dont have access to so I have to keep playing to increase my rank. Is there a more efficient way to do this than just keep playing and collecting points?

Also those damn gunships - I cant fly em for sh*t and they seem to be pretty key in the game. Only just worked out you can parachute out if you get attacked lol.

Had to turn the graphics down to medium as not running as smooth as Id like - just wondering what specs others are running it on (I'm AMD X2 @ 2.4, 2gb DDR400, 7800gt 256mb).

Cheers,
Simon
Old 03 August 2007, 10:41 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Time and effort I'm afraid.

You can always pick up the kit from a dead person!

The 7800GT isn't all that quick compared to modern cards - but that said should be able to cope fine with 2124. Have you upgraded to the latest driver pack?

Bk
Old 03 August 2007, 12:50 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight

The 7800GT isn't all that quick compared to modern cards - but that said should be able to cope fine with 2124. Have you upgraded to the latest driver pack?

Bk
Yes Ive got the 1.25 patch. I guess I was being a tad optimistic trying to run everything on full detail with my setup. Would like an 8800 but think I will wait til they drop down in price a bit first.

Do I have to do something specific to pick up kit or is it just a case of walking over a corpse etc?

Cheers,
Simon
Old 03 August 2007, 02:10 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

in options - bind something to drop weapon when you walk over something you'll pick it up
Old 03 August 2007, 06:26 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Just practice - I've got most of the unlocks now, but can manage ok on the default weapons if push came to shove.
Old 04 August 2007, 05:40 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

i have about 90% of the unlocks, although to be honest i can still kick *** with default weapons.
the upgraded weapons dont seem much more powerful to me. the only one i switch to is the engineers pilium weapon as the rocket launcher seems rubbish.

my system runs on max settings with 1280 resolution and is preety smooth
xp300 cpu @ 2.16ghz
2 gig ddr400
8800 gts card

going from a 7800 gtx was a reasonablish upgrade
personally i play on 16 and 32 player sized maps.
seems a bit jerky on 64 player maps.
I guess my cpu is the weak link on big maps although i dont think i will upgrade due to the hassle
Old 04 August 2007, 07:47 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

I reached the level of General, unlocked everything....and then pretty much stopped playing. Didn't seem to have a goal anymore.
Get into playing with knives asap. In fact if i was you play with knives only for a while,its possible and gains you huge kudos on the battlefield.
Have fun, its a great game.

Trending Topics

Old 07 August 2007, 07:25 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jfrf
i have about 90% of the unlocks, although to be honest i can still kick *** with default weapons.
the upgraded weapons dont seem much more powerful to me. the only one i switch to is the engineers pilium weapon as the rocket launcher seems rubbish.

my system runs on max settings with 1280 resolution and is preety smooth
xp300 cpu @ 2.16ghz
2 gig ddr400
8800 gts card

going from a 7800 gtx was a reasonablish upgrade
personally i play on 16 and 32 player sized maps.
seems a bit jerky on 64 player maps.
I guess my cpu is the weak link on big maps although i dont think i will upgrade due to the hassle
Wow I picked up a pilium last night by pure chance. Now I know how people are taking out my vehicles so easy. Most taken out in 1-2 shots with pilium. Be lucky if standard rocket launcher takes them out with 3 and thats if I manage to hit what I am aiming at.

Your 7800GTX would have been faster than my GT let alone an 8800. Is yours the 320 or 640mb version?

Simon
Old 07 August 2007, 07:27 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
I reached the level of General, unlocked everything....and then pretty much stopped playing. Didn't seem to have a goal anymore.
Get into playing with knives asap. In fact if i was you play with knives only for a while,its possible and gains you huge kudos on the battlefield.
Have fun, its a great game.
By the way do you get upgrades for the vehicles at all? I jumped in a gunship someone had abandoned and it had remote guided missiles which Id never seen before.

Still cant fly the damn things. Dont think Ive ever killed anyone as the pilot only as gunner. If you have some good pilots then that team always seems to dominate.

That said I did get 77 points in 1 game last night which is pretty impressive for me as before highest was about 28 and sometimes Im under 10 lol.

Simon
Old 07 August 2007, 07:30 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight

Bk
If you meant drivers for 7800GT then yes. Downloaded detonator 162's last night. If anything its slower but that could be the perception of being on a more laggy server. I think a lot of it is the game and maybe me being used to playing CS/CS:S.

Is there anyway in the console to display your FPS?

Cheers,
Simon
Old 07 August 2007, 08:24 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
By the way do you get upgrades for the vehicles at all? I jumped in a gunship someone had abandoned and it had remote guided missiles which Id never seen before.

Still cant fly the damn things. Dont think Ive ever killed anyone as the pilot only as gunner. If you have some good pilots then that team always seems to dominate.

That said I did get 77 points in 1 game last night which is pretty impressive for me as before highest was about 28 and sometimes Im under 10 lol.

Simon
No upgrades for any vehicles, no. Flying is sooooo easy. But does take a lot of practise. Use an empty server to practise on. Lots of people learn that way. Its all about tapping the keys and tilting the nose up when you come in to land, slow down, hover etc etc. 77 points is good. Titan mode is the game to play if you want to rack up points quickly, especially on the titan cannons which can be a lot of fun for someone new to the game.
Old 07 August 2007, 12:05 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I don't think the aircraft dominate the game as much as they did in BF2 ; the gunships are easy meat with the shoulder-launched SAM or the fixed emplacements
Old 07 August 2007, 03:20 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Hey man yeah BF2142 rocks - once you get good join a clan and compete agains others - whats your ingame name?

Add me its I-am-pain(ENG) - if you need any pointers give us a shout

Stay away from knife only servers - its just statpadding and sad earn it the propper way
Old 07 August 2007, 03:27 PM
scoobyverysoon

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Wow I picked up a pilium last night by pure chance. Now I know how people are taking out my vehicles so easy. Most taken out in 1-2 shots with pilium. Be lucky if standard rocket launcher takes them out with 3 and thats if I manage to hit what I am aiming at.

Your 7800GTX would have been faster than my GT let alone an 8800. Is yours the 320 or 640mb version?

Simon
Yeah the pilum can 1 shot kill most vehicles but you have to hit them in the right place I.e tank weak spots are the **** end walkers is the small vent underneith - gunship takes a bit of getting used to but like you say can win your team the game by taking out the other gunship and ground armour etc using the TV guided missile

Have you bought the add on pack called northern strike - its only 6 quid and is very good as it has more unlocks and extra levels and has a diffrent game mode called assault lines

Keep your eye out as there is a new patch due soon (1.40) it has some improvements also includes a free new map so its all good
Old 07 August 2007, 04:42 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon
Stay away from knife only servers - its just statpadding and sad earn it the propper way
Yeah totally. Hope I didn't suggest anyone plays on k.o.s. Thats just lame.
Old 07 August 2007, 05:37 PM
scoobyverysoon

lol yeah - Now theres nothing like a knife duel during a propper game though - then someone shoots you in the face while your battling spioling the manley battle
Old 07 August 2007, 09:31 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

Add me justin - nexusix.

Get yourself on x-fire fella (google it), great way to find an join servers and also hook up with other players.
Old 08 August 2007, 12:22 AM
scoobyverysoon

Originally Posted by Beefy
Add me justin - nexusix.

Get yourself on x-fire fella (google it), great way to find an join servers and also hook up with other players.

I had you on last time but i changed my name since then I will resend

You sure thats right it says your 17 WTF your like 86

Last edited by scoobyverysoon; 08 August 2007 at 12:24 AM.