Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Someone hijacked my ebay account !

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2007, 06:21 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone hijacked my ebay account !

Got an email from ebay saying someone accessed my ebay account and listed items in my name,ebay froze my account to prevent any other use.

Anyone know how someone could have done this ?

I recently had the same problem with my online banking,someone managed to get my password and access my account but my bank realised it wasn't me and suspended the account before any money went missing.

I've got anti-virus,firewall and anti-spyware and I never reply to phishing emails etc !

Neither ebay or my bank can tell me how people managed to do this,i've never had any problems in the last 6 years or so that i've had the internet until now !
Old 22 July 2007, 07:13 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Sounds far fetched but have you wound anyone up lately who would know answers to obvious stuff like secret questions, memorable dates, pets names, etc.

I would put money on the fact that I could breach e-mail, ebay, bank accounts, etc for a handful of my friends and relatives based simply on what I know about them.
Old 22 July 2007, 07:51 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk
Sounds far fetched but have you wound anyone up lately who would know answers to obvious stuff like secret questions, memorable dates, pets names, etc.

I would put money on the fact that I could breach e-mail, ebay, bank accounts, etc for a handful of my friends and relatives based simply on what I know about them.
No,i'm pretty good with my passwords etc !
Old 22 July 2007, 08:01 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you get the info that you had been hacked by e-mail ... and asking you to confirm your details to proove it's you? On a web site provided by a link?

If so it's a spoof site to get your details so they can do just this later!
Old 22 July 2007, 08:11 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Did you get the info that you had been hacked by e-mail ... and asking you to confirm your details to proove it's you? On a web site provided by a link?

If so it's a spoof site to get your details so they can do just this later!
No. My bank phoned me and told me what was going on. Ebay sent me a message within ebay,not an email !
Old 23 July 2007, 08:56 AM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Samething happened to me last year. What happened was that I followed an ebay link within an email and signed in through that page. The ebay link turnout to be fake as although it started with ebay.com ....etc
Old 23 July 2007, 09:49 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Get yourself a stronger password.
Old 23 July 2007, 09:22 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Have you logged on to any of your accounts from a public PC (i.e. in an Internet cafe or Hotel)? - I'd reckon a good 80% of public PCs will have some form of spyware or keyboard logger that will gether information.

Has anyone had access to your PC at home? Key loggers can easily be installed and information can be sent back via port 80 (web traffic) so your firewall won't stop it (keyloggers can be a physical attachment or software).

The fact that it has happened to several accounts that you own and they appear to be genuine hacks suggests to me that someone has almost certainly somehow managed to get hold of personal details from your PC.

Check your PC, if necessary back up important files and then wipe it. Start again with a clean install and then make sure you use strong passphrases (as opposed to passwords - simple sentences turned into a single passphrase are much better than short words).

Use something like PasswordSafe (it's free) to protect stored username and password details.

Also just remember that firewalls and anti virus are good at defending most attacks, but a good determined hacker can bypass these. I've worked with guys who've penetetrated some of the supposedly most secure systems in the world including online banking / gambling and government sites - trust me, it can be done.

Last edited by Chris L; 23 July 2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 24 July 2007, 01:26 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

It sounds highly likely that someone has phished your password. As mentioned above some mails that purport to be from ebay are just from scammers wanting login details