Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Setting up a PS3 online.

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2007, 06:47 PM
MrBush
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up a PS3 online.

Help please!

I have recently purchased a PS3 and am having trouble setting it up to go online.

I will be going the wireless route as I already have the router set up for my laptop which might I add I have no problem going on line with.

I am following the instructions for going online but its saying "cannot find the name" so i tryed to set all the IP adresses, Subnet Mask, Default Gateways and DHCP Gateways (what ever all that means ) And still nothing, conection enabled but nothing!...........

HELP!!!!!

I'm pulling my hair out!

Any info would be gratefully appreciated!
Old 20 July 2007, 06:53 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Could be your PS3 is out of range ?
Old 20 July 2007, 08:00 PM
MrBush
Scooby Regular

Its picking up the router and its no further away from the router than the lap top!
Old 21 July 2007, 12:05 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Got my PS3 going through wireless. But constantly have problems with a disconnection message when playing on-line. Also I find the wireless can be slow, especially when you have to download things. Find that the RJ-45 connection a better method.

I take it you have portforwarded on your router? Without the Portforwarding you will get issues with signing in and playing games on-line.

Check out PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall
Old 21 July 2007, 10:58 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Must admit I got the Wii and PS3 online via Netgear wireless router very easily , Just did a search and it found the router then put the password and that was it .
Try typing in the SSID (network name)and do another search , if it dosent find your router , could be a fault with the PS3
Old 21 July 2007, 11:50 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Just out of a matter of interest. Which Router do you have? I had a god awful Netgear 834PN MIMO RangeMax (The one with the internal 6 ariels). Only to find that it doesn't work (After searching Google) with PS3s. The only other thing to check is if you have 'MAC Access' mode on. In which case you need to get the MAC address of the PS3 and enter this into the routers Access settings.
Old 21 July 2007, 11:57 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I have a Netgear Rangemax 834N and it works great with the Wii and PS3 , also have a Laptop and Desktop and never dropped a connection yet.
The Netgear 834PN MIMO has had a lot of bad press and none seems to get it to work properly , I would swap for a newer model if you have lots of problems with it.
Old 21 July 2007, 12:02 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kbsub
I have a Netgear Rangemax 834N and it works great with the Wii and PS3 , also have a Laptop and Desktop and never dropped a connection yet.
The Netgear 834PN MIMO has had a lot of bad press and none seems to get it to work properly , I would swap for a newer model if you have lots of problems with it.
Yep Already did. Now have a Dreytek Viglan 2800. From what I have been reading, Netgear Stuff now-a-days is'nt very cleaver. One guy has setup a 'I hate Netgear' website.
Old 21 July 2007, 04:33 PM
AllenJ
Scooby Regular

I find this product very useful.
dLAN 200 AV

It comes in at a hefty £130, but for a reliable connection, you cannot go wrong.
It delivers up to 200MPs via a plug & play electric connection.

You can have it with ethernet cable or wireless.
I have only tried the cabled version and will recommend it.

Neither need to run cables through the house nor suffer wireless connection drop.

Last edited by AllenJ; 21 July 2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 22 July 2007, 05:26 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

hi

i have a dg834pn netgear router, one of the darn dreaded ones the ps3 does not like.

i have discovered that it is the controllers that play silly games with my connection/signal.

i can play online in say F1 no problem if i connect my controller direct to my PS3!!!! try that for anyone that is having problems.

unfortunately it gets on my nerves having the controller plugged in so will have to buy a new router soon

gets you by though

mike
Old 22 July 2007, 05:45 PM
Smiler-Wrx
Scooby Regular

Info here PlayStation Network - Official PlayStation Community