Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Photo quality printers???

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2002, 09:26 AM
Karlos Fandango
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've just bought a Minolta digital camera and now want to update my ageing Epson printer. What is everyone out there using and whats the best I can get for under a £100-£150. I've seen PCworld selling Lexmark Z53 for about £90, verdicts anyone??????

Whats the difference between all the photo paper thats available and is it really worth it.

Cheers,

Karlos
Old 01 January 2002, 11:20 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 870 (which has since been replaced by the 890). It produces prints that, given the right paper, are as good as any professional photograph. I have many photos on my walls, and the best in terms of technical quality are actually printouts from the 870.

Having the correct paper is vital - Epson's own Premium Glossy Photo Paper is my favourite by far, although I've had problems with prints fading over time if they're exposed to the air. Stored in an album or displayed in a frame, they're fine. Epson Photo Paper is a good second choice, with a matte finish instead of the high gloss, and it's a bit cheaper. Prints on ordinary (photocopier-grade) paper are complete junk by comparison - OK for printing letters but no good for photographs.

The ink can be expensive - the cheapest places I've found are a couple of mail order suppliers based in Guernsey called '7dayshop' and 'photoglossy.com', but be prepared for very slow delivery times. There's also a firm called PermaJet who make a system that modifies the printer to allow it to take bottled ink, which I might try sometime. Epson, like all the other manufacturers, make their money on selling the ink rather than the printers themselves.

There's a printers & printing forum on www.dpreview.com - it's a site primarily for photographers using digital equipment, many of whom use the 870/890 (or their equally good A3 equivalents the 12x0). You could try searching or asking there.

Andy.
Old 01 January 2002, 11:26 AM
LEE-69
Scooby Regular

i use a lexmark Z42.i have no problems with the quality just like a 35 mm photo thats been developed.your going for the higher spec one and should get better prints than me.im no expert but im very happy with my prints.
Old 01 January 2002, 02:40 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

I swapped my lexmark z52 for an epson photo 890 when I got my Olympus E10 as I could print large pictures without it using a massive amount of ink and taking AGES - with the 890 there's massive difference.

I can print A4 shots wonderfully and the best thing is using Epson paper, you don't need to mess around setting the thing up, just choose the right paper and the prints are really fast.

the photo glossy paper is good, but the right shot really benefits from the heavyweight matte paper.

Very pleased
Old 01 January 2002, 05:26 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Just bought an HP 940Cxi ~ £98 - seems pretty impressive quality and nice and quiet compared to my old Lexmark.