Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

sulfnbk.exe ...how do i get it back?

Old 01 January 2002, 03:15 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

after being advised by someone on this bbs to delete the file(coz its 'supposed' to be a virus) i'm now told that its important and shouldnt be deleted.
i know nothing about pc's, and would really appreciate any IT experts letting me know how to get this file back on my pc.
many thanks

oh, and chris, think before you type please
Old 01 January 2002, 03:31 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Question

Spudgun

I'm sure someone will be able to burn you the file on disk for you to put back on your computer

But don't ask me though, i have got an iMac and i don't have a burner

Scott, sorry i could'nt be too much of a help
Old 01 January 2002, 03:31 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Question

[Edited by RB5SCOTT - 1/1/2002 3:35:21 PM]
Old 01 January 2002, 03:32 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Question

whats going on here then

[Edited by RB5SCOTT - 1/1/2002 3:34:21 PM]
Old 01 January 2002, 03:34 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Spud,

No panic, if you have the original CD for your operating system, you an easily set it back

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q301316
for more info on how to put it back.
Old 01 January 2002, 03:36 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Charlie Psycho replied in the other thread with this.

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/hoaxes/sulfnbk.shtml

It tells you how to get it back.

A
Old 01 January 2002, 03:49 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

JUST FOUND THIS.....

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/sulf.html

gives you a step by step guide to putting things back to normal.

just an after thought....

on a bbs populated by a high percentage of IT/computer types, why was the original thread allowed, and then to be closed by the moderators after the damage was done. am i the only idiot who deleted this file? ......probably
Old 01 January 2002, 04:45 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Spud ... to be fair: the "warning" was posted on 14:41, the first reply saying it's a hoax was at 14:45, thread was locked 15 minutes later.

Not bad for a hangover laden 1st of Jan no ?

There have been about umpteen threads on this hoax before BTW. I think even last week.

Best advice is next time you read something like this is go to one of the virus scanner websites (McAfee, Symantec, Kaspersky etc etc) and see if it's really a virus.

Even better advice is to actually buy an anti-virus software that really gets updated every day or even every 12 hours. There's too much cr@p floating around at the moment to not do it. Bit like a car alarm if you ask me.

HTH,

Theo
Old 01 January 2002, 05:59 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Spudgun GTR,

Have you got it resolved now mate ? Do you want me to email the deleted file mate ? I'm running 98SE, and can email to you if you like ?

Cheers Phill C
Old 01 January 2002, 07:02 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Here you go, this should help you restore it.....

How to restore the Sulfnbk.exe file
If you have deleted this file, restoration is optional. Sulfnbk.exe is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to restore long file names. It is not needed for normal system operation. If you want to restore it, there is more than one way to do this. See the information that follows.
NOTE: The instructions in this document are provided for your convenience. The extraction of Windows files uses Microsoft programs and commands. Symantec does not provide warranty support for or assistance with Microsoft products. If you have any questions, please see your Windows documentation or contact Microsoft.

Windows Me
If you are using Windows Me, you can restore the file using the System Configuration Utility.
1. Click Start and then click Run.
2. Type msconfig and then press Enter.
3. Click Extract Files. The "Extract one file from installation disk" dialog box appears.
4. In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" box, type the following, and then click Start:

c:\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe

NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different location, make the appropriate substitution.

The Extract File dialog box appears.

5. Next to the "Restore from" box, click Browse, and browse to the location of the Windows installation files. If they were copied to the hard drive, this is, by default, C:\Windows\Options\Install. You can also insert the Windows installation CD in the CD-ROM drive and browse to that location.
6. Click OK and follow the prompts.

Windows 98
If you are using Windows 98, you can restore the file using the System File Checker.
1. Click Start and then click Run.
2. Type sfc and then press Enter.
3. Click "Extract one file from installation disk."
4. In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" box, type the following, and then click Start:

c:\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe

NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different location, make the appropriate substitution.

The Extract File dialog box appears.

5. Next to the "Restore from" box click Browse, and browse to the location of the Windows installation files. If they were copied to the hard drive, this is, by default, C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. You can also insert the Windows installation CD in the CD-ROM drive and browse to that location.
6. Click OK and follow the prompts.

Windows 95 (or alternative method for Windows 98/Me)
If you are using Windows 95, you need to use the extract command. This can also be used on Windows 98/Me.

1. Click Start, point to Find or Search, and then click Files or Folders.
2. Make sure that "Look in" is set to (C and that Include subfolders is checked.
3. In the "Named" or "Search for..." box, type:

precopy1

4. Click Find Now or Search Now. If it does not exist on the hard drive, then insert the Windows installation CD and repeat the search on that drive.
5. When you find the file, write down the location of Precopy1, for example, C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. This is your Source Path.
6. The general form of the Extract command is:

extract /a \precopy1.cab sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command

NOTE: Make sure that you include the /a switch, as shown. Depending on your version of Windows, the Sulfnbk,exe file can be in a .cab file other than Precopy1.cab. By using the /a switch, the Extract program will look first in the Precopy1.cab, and if the file is not found there, it will look in all subsequent .cab files until it is found, and can be extracted.

So if the source path is C:\Windows\Options\Cabs, then the Extract command becomes:

extract /a c:\windows\options\cabs\precopy1.cab sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command

7. Click Start and then click Run.
8. Type the following, making the appropriate substitutions as previously noted

extract /a \precopy1.cab sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command

9. Click OK.

Duncan....Who also deleted this file ,and also found out that it was a hoax!!!!!!!B£ST%$DS!!!!!!
Old 01 January 2002, 07:52 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cheers babber, i think ive got it sorted now. i did the netsquirrel thing, did a file search on my pc, and its all there now and ok.

evil
when i deleted the file, the thread was just started. i finished chris' instructions, went back onto scoobynet, and lo and behold, i'd fallen for it
never mind. i have norton on my pc, i got it after my last pc got totally shagged by sircam virus.

alls well that ends well