Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

cant view sites

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2007, 11:58 AM
rfowler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant view sites

hi people, a quick question i am at work and trying to access a website but i get a message saying the site is not accessible or blocked; is there a way around this? as i know this site is avabile and online
Old 06 July 2007, 01:53 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

As above, and for your sake I'd like to point out that repeated attempts at accessing the site or remote proxy sites will pop your head above the parapet as far as the security people are concerned.

but hey, if you want to try, go ahead
Old 06 July 2007, 02:40 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Leave your home PC on, install Logmein software, and access it via the logmein website from work.

But as above, your comapny blocks websites that they don't want you to view from work, if you're caught looking then pack your bags!
Old 06 July 2007, 02:52 PM
gaz_wrx
Scooby Newbie

short of logging onto your company firewall, and adding the url: into 'allowed' domains you have no chance...
Old 06 July 2007, 03:02 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gaz_wrx
short of logging onto your company firewall, and adding the url: into 'allowed' domains you have no chance...
Depends how crap the setup is, our IE uses the proxy and blocks stuff such as ebay etc, Firefox blocks nothing
Old 06 July 2007, 04:37 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Depends how crap the setup is, our IE uses the proxy and blocks stuff such as ebay etc, Firefox blocks nothing

Your guys know their stuff when it comes to firewall configuration then Good grief...

Trending Topics

Old 06 July 2007, 07:30 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

aye, they need this then

SourceForge.net: FirefoxADM

as posted by Darlodge

Last edited by mike1210; 06 July 2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07 July 2007, 12:04 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
That could be more a case of IE goes through the proxy and Firefox is installed with no lock down/pre configuration so goes straight out.
Granted, but why have a proxy if you're going to allow people to bypass it by removing the settings/installing a browser that isn't auto-configured? Surely rule 1 of introducing content filtering is ensuring that a firewall rule is in place to restrict access out to all but the proxy

It's certainly the way i've always worked...
Old 07 July 2007, 12:08 PM
pvtpyle
Supporting Member

Could try the following sites but i dont think you can use forums with them though.

related:www.the-cloak.com/ - Google Search
Old 07 July 2007, 12:38 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Well like our place users have to go through the proxy however certain people in IT like the server team have exceptions set to allow them out bypassing the proxy and striaght through the firewall so we have unmonitored access allowing us to download patches, test external email coming in/going out etc that wouldn't be possible if we were forced like users through the proxy. However this is only allowed by speciifed rules on the firewall by our inividual ip addresses. Try going out to the internet with no proxy and you go no where without the firewall letting you.

To me it sounds like their IE is auto configured through group policy forcing them to go through the proxy but someone managed to get admin rights to install firefox and there is no rule on the firewall blocking internet access without going through the proxy first which like you say is bad practice.
Agreed on all counts - sorry if I sounded aggressive in my post, it wasn't intentional We operate an almost identical policy to yours in our place