Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC not recognising CD/DVD drive

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2007, 08:32 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC not recognising CD/DVD drive

My Dad bought a new PC which had XP installed but came without a copy of XP about three years ago.

Recently it has decided for reasons best known to itself that it cannot recognise the DVD/CD drive despite having power to it, the tray sliding out and the damn thing whirring on boot up. When you open up my computer it doesn't show it as a drive.

I replaced the DVD drive with a new one did a system restore and for 24hrs it worked fine but now the drive has disappeared again. I put his previous drive in my PC and it works perfectly so that just isn't an issue

Any help would be gratefully received. I was going to format the hard drive and start again but with no XP disc itwould cost him £50+

Seems a bit expensive when he's already paid for the licence

All help gratefully received

Cheers

CLS

Last edited by CLSII; 05 July 2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Just dawned on me he's already paid to use the operating system
Old 05 July 2007, 09:30 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Does it show up in the bios?
Have you tried replacing the cable going to the DVD drive?
Old 05 July 2007, 09:54 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I had this issue with a Dell PC where a DVD drive stopped working. It was there in the BIOS and the mater/slave setting on the drive were correct with new IDE cables and the drive would work in another system, but XP still wouldn't show it.

System devices would show the drive with a yellow exclaimation mark saying there was a driver issue (Start> Control Panel > System > Devices ).

This problem was fixed by searching the microsoft knowledge base site ( ) and finding the following page:

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

That fixed the problem. Might work for you, might not. Worth a try. But PLEASE backup your registry and create a system restore point before messing with it
Old 06 July 2007, 06:12 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Make sure the jumper on the back of the drive is set to either 'MAster' or 'Slave' depending on which end you use on teh IDE cable. CSL 'Cable Select' can be dodgy.
Old 06 July 2007, 06:21 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Thanks everbody - excellent response.

Shark Man - worked for me too.

Thanks very much

Scoobynet comes to the rescue again!