Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Locking down corporate laptop users

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2007, 02:44 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking down corporate laptop users

Just a quick question for other like minded people.

How are you controlling Internet Access on your laptop users ? All our desktops are locked down tight than a nun’s chuff but we have always had a problem with laptop users.

Basically we want our laptop users to use our Proxy server when in our office, and have it turned off at home.

However we do not want the user to have any control over it. We want to impose these settings.

We use GPO’s for everything but I’ve tried with KiXtart to added registry entries to our laptops users in a certain subnet but the registry entries are persistent so remain once they leave the office and log on at home.

What should I do?
Old 05 July 2007, 03:27 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Don't bother, just give then full admin rights. It really isn't worth the hassle. just make sure they can be restored quickly if they screw them up.

btw : lose the Kixstart and start using vbscript or javascript
Old 05 July 2007, 04:46 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

It's not our choice, our rules and policies are set by HR. We just have to follow them through and enforce them.

There is no way we are giving our laptop users admin access, that's a crazy solution that could impact our entire network.

Webmail is a huge security concern so we have had this disabled for years on our Proxy server. We have write protected USB keys and no CD-RW's.

We are considering a GPO that does not apply settings if it cannot contact the DC's.

Any other views?

Darren
Old 05 July 2007, 05:57 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darlodge
There is no way we are giving our laptop users admin access, that's a crazy solution that could impact our entire network.
Crazy? No it's the intelligent way to do it, most modern corporations are implementing laptops like this.

Microsoft, Fujitsu, Cap-Gemini, IBM, Capita and LogicaCMG are just a few companies I've worked with, and for, that have no laptop security. Mostly working on government contracts that require SC clearance.

And quite how does it impact your entire network? That must mean that it is inherently insecure and poorly designed with little or no protection. What's to stop someone attaching an alternative laptop to the network for example.

In any case can't you use local security policies and enforce them using the gpupdate command.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../xpsgch05.mspx

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 05 July 2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06 July 2007, 12:00 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

It's a personal choice and I would not give anyone full access. If we had a large volume of laptop users I might agree but for our handful (20) I'd prefer not too.

We would not be using local policies to lock them down, they would still have our domain policy to lock the unit down (remove Run etc.) and then another policy (to lock down IE) would only apply if it could contact a DC. Is this even possible?

Darren

Last edited by darlodge; 06 July 2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Me spelling
Old 06 July 2007, 01:50 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Crazy? No it's the intelligent way to do it, most modern corporations are implementing laptops like this.

Microsoft, Fujitsu, Cap-Gemini, IBM, Capita and LogicaCMG are just a few companies I've worked with, and for, that have no laptop security. Mostly working on government contracts that require SC clearance.

And quite how does it impact your entire network? That must mean that it is inherently insecure and poorly designed with little or no protection. What's to stop someone attaching an alternative laptop to the network for example.

In any case can't you use local security policies and enforce them using the gpupdate command.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../xpsgch05.mspx
Yes we do.

We do allow local admin access but trust me - there is a lot of security bouncing around our network. You can't even plug your laptop in without proving it's got up to date AV and AntiSpyware installed.

Trending Topics

Old 06 July 2007, 03:25 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Yes we do.

We do allow local admin access but trust me - there is a lot of security bouncing around our network. You can't even plug your laptop in without proving it's got up to date AV and AntiSpyware installed.
OK, bad wording, of course they have security, I meant that the laptop user is generally added to local admins so they can do as they wish.